Author Topic: Mary Ann Marshall. Convicted Newcastle on Tyne . Transported to Australia  (Read 1322 times)

Offline vickiofoz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I have read forum post- "Church of England, NSW, Walter Neary."
Mary Ann Neary (Marshall) was my Grt Grt Grandmother, born around 1811.
I am unable to trace her family. At 18 years of age, she was convicted of housebreaking in Newcastle on Tyne. There are suggestions by other relatives in My Heritage that she was born in Headly, Hampshire, however  because of her age and travel issues in those days, I am inclined to believe her family lived in Newcastle on Tyne. There is a birth record supporting a Joseph and Mary Marshall with a daughter Mary Ann, christened at All Saints, Newcastle on Tyne on 4th Feb 1811.
Mary Ann 's occupation was a nursemaid  (as per information from the book "A Cargo of Women"
I would appreciate any leads for discovering more about Mary Ann and her parents/family, prior to her being transported to Australia.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Ann Marshall. Convicted Newcastle on Tyne . Transported to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 October 20 10:39 BST (UK) »
The record you mention is on freereg, there is a little more information, which you may have already seen. There is also a tree on Ancestry, Mary was the eldest of 11 children, the tree records year of birth & death for most of them but not Mary Ann.

I do not see a birth for Mary Ann in Headly, Hampshire on Ancestry, Family Search or Freereg.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 October 20 11:45 BST (UK) »
Now interestingly there is a Bartholomew TWIZELL/Mary Ann MARSHAL Marriage 06 Sep 1835 Newcastle upon Tyne : St John the Baptist (FreeREG)

1841 Census
Long Benton
Bartholomew Swizell   25 Ag Lab
John Swizell 5
Mark Swizell 3

Bapt  22 Jul 1838 Long Benton, MARK Twizell , Son of Bartholemew/Mary, Father a Hind
(FreeREG)

1851 Census
Preston
Barrholmew Swizel 30
Isabella Swizel   38
John Swizel   15
Mark Swizel   13

So Bartholomew has remarried.

Burial;
04 Aug 1839, MAY Twizell age 26  (c 1813)

So am just be careful as this may be Mary c 1811 Daug of Joseph/Mary
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 October 20 12:45 BST (UK) »
I have read forum post- "Church of England, NSW, Walter Neary."

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=549804.msg4031600#msg4031600

A lot of information on this thread.

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 October 20 13:25 BST (UK) »
There are suggestions by other relatives in My Heritage that she was born in Headly, Hampshire,

Her convict indent clearly states that her native place was Newcastle.

Debra  :)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 October 20 14:36 BST (UK) »
From the other thread:
ANN Marshall
1829  18 Single  Protestant, Read & Write, native of Newcastle (UK), nursemaid, trial 3 Aug 1828 at Newcastle, housebreaking, 14 years, no previous convictions, 5 ft 2 ½ inches, Ruddy freckled complexion, Brown hair, light hazel eyes.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=549804.msg4044453#msg4044453

There are long accounts of the trial in various contemporary newspapers.

In these it is stated that Ann Marshall was the daughter of a John Marshall who was a printer and stationer in Newcastle. He had a shop in the Old Flesh Market. He and his family (two daughters and a son) lived at the 'Forth House' in St Nicholas' Parish where the crime took place. His wife had died some 18 months before the trial took place.

Which leads to this birth, found in the baptisms at St Nicholas Newcastle, entitled 'Births of persons who have not been Baptized in the Church':

Ann Marshall, born 1st November 1811, daughter of John Marshall (printer) and Jane, late Forster.

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 20 16:25 BST (UK) »
His wife had died some 18 months before the trial took place.

Newcastle Courant Saturday 17th March 1827 '...on Monday, Mrs Marshall, wife of John Marshall, of this town bookseller and printer, deeply lamented'

Burial at Ballast Hills cemetery on 14th March, aged 54.

Offline vickiofoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 October 20 02:26 BST (UK) »
A big thank you those who have replied to  my post. I tried  to thank you individually, but was unsuccessful I do not have access to many sites, mainly My Heritage, Family Search
and Roots Chat .
Is it possible for me to access those contemporary newspapers you mention Jen B. There are a number of descendants in Australia, like myself, and I would like to provide them with more accurate information, not just hearsay. Mary Ann died on 2 November 1841 in Sydney after a tragic past.

Offline vickiofoz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 19 October 20 02:29 BST (UK) »
A big thank you those who have replied to  my post. I tried  to thank you individually, but was unsuccessful I do not have access to many sites, mainly My Heritage, Family Search
and Roots Chat .
Is it possible for me to access those contemporary newspapers you mention Jen B. There are a number of descendants in Australia, like myself, and I would like to provide them with more accurate information, not just hearsay. Mary Ann died on 2 November 1841 in Sydney after a tragic past.