Author Topic: Solid Granite Wall: James McGilveray or McGillivray, Shoemaker in Aberdeen  (Read 738 times)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Solid Granite Wall: James McGilveray or McGillivray, Shoemaker in Aberdeen
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 18 October 20 21:07 BST (UK) »
That's a pity. I had hoped they would turn out to be family members. What about baptisms of James' children.Any sponsors named?
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline clairemmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 18 October 20 21:10 BST (UK) »
That's a pity. I had hoped they would turn out to be family members. What about baptisms of James' children.Any sponsors named?
flst

I know, it's an unfortunate one.  And no, unfortunately not, all kids were born after 1855 so all records are statutory.  I don't recall ever seeing online images of baptism record post-1855 but I've never really looked for them to be fair - any advice on the matter?
McGillivray (Aberdeenshire), Williamson (Ross and Cromarty)

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 18 October 20 21:23 BST (UK) »
Stupid me, of course they'd not be online! Another thought, maybe James had siblings.
flst
TAYLOR, COBBAN, SCOTT, PATERSON, BARCLAY,  DUNCAN, SKENE, SIM, WOOD, STEPHEN, ROSE,  CUMINE, MORISON, GERRARD, PYPER, ANDERSON,  FARQUHAR, BURNET, THOMSON, DAVIDSON, BIRNIE,  STRACHAN, DEY, GERRIE, ROBERTSON, FINNIE, WYLLIE,STEPHEN,WILLOX,MICHIE,MARR,BRUCE, CLUBB,SLESSOR,CLARK, SIMPSON,HEPBURN,SINCLAIR,BEEDIE,FOWLIE, CLYNE,FINDLATER, JOHNSTON,BROCKIE,PARK, WATT,MACKIE,WALKER,YEATS,THIRD, BURD,EWAN,ARTHUR,AUCKLAND, MURDOCH,LOW, IRVINE,CHALMERS,BOYES, LYON,SMITH,ADIE, WATSON - ALL N.E.SCOTLAND.

Offline clairemmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 18 October 20 21:31 BST (UK) »
Stupid me, of course they'd not be online! Another thought, maybe James had siblings.
flst

Maybe one day!  So I can't find a register of birth for James, but I'm 100% certain he was born in Aberdeen because he never wavers from that on the census.  I've tried looking for other children born to a James McGillivray (and it's 300 variations) and Margaret Hay both in Aberdeen and out of and I have found zilch.  I can only think that if they didn't register James, they didn't register any kids they had, if they had more.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 18 October 20 22:15 BST (UK) »
However, for any of this to make sense I need to find parents for Catherine and/or William Hay 
Catherine Angus, other surname Hay, mother's maiden surname McIntosh, died in Aberdeen St Nicholas in 1872 aged 55. Her death certificate will tell you the full names of both her parents.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline flst

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 18 October 20 22:21 BST (UK) »
Well done Forfarian!
flst

Offline clairemmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 19 October 20 08:17 BST (UK) »
However, for any of this to make sense I need to find parents for Catherine and/or William Hay 
Catherine Angus, other surname Hay, mother's maiden surname McIntosh, died in Aberdeen St Nicholas in 1872 aged 55. Her death certificate will tell you the full names of both her parents.

Nicely done!  I've had a look and her parents were John Hay, Linen Weaver (in-keeping with the family business) and Jessie Hay née McIntosh, both deceased.  Unfortunately, that means that Catherine was not Margaret's sister.  It could be that they were cousins, meaning younger James was working with his second cousin. 

I'm going to map this and see if it dredges anything up.  Thank you!

Also, I've spotted that there's a couple in the Parish of Strichen, having children around the time Margaret Hay was born.  Specifically they live in the village of Mormond, which was expanded to form Strichen village.  James Hay and Anne Thomson.  Unfortunately, I have nothing to say that Margaret was born in Strichen, just that her father lived there at the time of her marrige in 1833.

EDIT: further edit to that last paragraph, further investigation tells me that James Hay was a Chelsea Pensioner.  Which, correct me if I'm wrong, speaks of a career military man unlikely to also be a skilled weaver.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 19 October 20 09:50 BST (UK) »
further investigation tells me that James Hay was a Chelsea Pensioner.  Which, correct me if I'm wrong, speaks of a career military man unlikely to also be a skilled weaver.
I wouldn't make that assumption.

The time in question would be right for him to have served during the Napoleonic/Peninsular Wars, and it's quite possible that a man might have another occupation both before and after serving for a short career in the army.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline clairemmain

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 19 October 20 10:04 BST (UK) »
further investigation tells me that James Hay was a Chelsea Pensioner.  Which, correct me if I'm wrong, speaks of a career military man unlikely to also be a skilled weaver.
I wouldn't make that assumption.

The time in question would be right for him to have served during the Napoleonic/Peninsular Wars, and it's quite possible that a man might have another occupation both before and after serving for a short career in the army.

Fab, thank you, I won't discount him on that front then.  There's only a small number of military men in my family, even laterally with the World Wars many were discounted from draft due to their occupations, so I have very little experience with military records and personnel.  Thanks for the insight!