Author Topic: Diary - Sunday, 18 October 2020  (Read 5312 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Diary - Sunday, 18 October 2020
« on: Sunday 18 October 20 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone, just popping in again.  Looks like I am the first tonight.  The last two weeks have felt extremely tiring and I have hardly been able to get my head together to write about what I have been doing.  Although, I have kept meaning to.  I have not long since finished another 12 hour shift.  Will get 5 hours sleep when I get in and then will have to get up for another 12 hour shift. 
It was lovely this morning to see the geese flying away in a V formation as I was standing at the bus stop. 
It was sunny but very cold and damp when I got to Newcastle and made my way to the bus station.  In front of me, a rough sleeper man was making his way hurriedly down Northumberland Street, only stopping briefly to talk to another rough sleeper sitting on the pavement.  He was wearing his long blanket around his shoulders and seemed oblivious to the fact that the end of his blanket was trailing along the wet pavement as he walked.  He looked almost like a medieval lord wearing a cloak.  I am bundled up well these days in this weather and I can't imagine how rough sleepers like this man and the other can manage to endure the cold overnight.
I saw some good news headlines in one paper this morning about the NHS going to administer the vaccine initially to the vulnerable and elderly after the New Year.  I do hope that this will turn to be a reality.  It would be good to be able to see some light on the horizon.
Keep safe everyone.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Sunday, 18 October 2020
« Reply #1 on: Monday 19 October 20 00:21 BST (UK) »
RTL - how lovely to see you back on here with a post....
Your life is not one that many of us could cope with and remain cheerful I’m sure.. let alone have 5 hrs sleep to then do it all again...
It’s very disheartening to hear that people are back out sleeping rough... I thought they were still all being looked after by the councils in some form of accommodation.... it’s shameful that it can be swiftly dealt with at the beginning of this crisis but not continued especially with winter on the doorstep...

Today I awoke rather later than I’d wanted to  so consequently I was running around like a demon... first breakfast.. whilst doing that I got the slow cooker out to leave a chicken casserole cooking ready for dinner tonight... I quickly browned some chicken thighs added onions, leeks, carrots and mushrooms used some chicken stock added some soy sauce.... empty dishwasher... make tea to put in thermos... O.H made some sandwiches...
showered and off we set bit later than planned...
Journey was going to take us just under a couple of hours.... following the sat nav which took us a bit of a convoluted way...
Whilst on the M1 a Muntjac deer decided to run out from behind the hard shoulder barrier onto the motorway in the near side  lane...
OH slowed right down and was just about to pull out into the middle lane when it suddenly decided it didn’t like where it was and dashed back behind the barrier... which was just as well as there was a lorry behind us bearing down at some speed... thankfully all was ok and we all carried on on our way...
When we arrived we discovered we were behind our daughter and family so well timed... considering our journey times were vastly different it was a miracle really! The place we were at was NT Hughendon Manor the once home of Disrelli..
we managed to park side by side... the boys were excited and so were we..
They couldn’t wait to give OH his birthday presents so a couple had to be opened in the car park... they bought him a lovely jigsaw of woodland birds and because they couldn’t afford the Mazaratti for him they gave him a model one!
By the time we’d done all this and used the conveniences it was decided we’d have lunch first... there was a lovely orchard with rustic tables and benches well spaced out ... I used the picnic rug as a table cloth, much to the boys amusement and so we ate our way through sandwiches... ALL the sausage rolls and most of the quiche! Along with veg sticks of carrots, cucumber, peppers...
After we’d finished we went to have a look inside the house... ground floor only and we were the only ones in there... the NT do have things well organised... one way in and out and even the walks and gardens are one way...
Whilst walking round eldest grandson spotted a buzzard soaring quite high up and then another one... so out came the binoculars for a closer look.. one finally landed at the top of a very tall tree and just sat there so some photos were taken to be looked at in close detail later!
Finally we returned to the picnic area where our daughter produced a chocolate and orange cake she’d made along with the candles! It was to have been a surprise but children being eager to impart most things had already enquired
 ‘ when are we going to eat the cake mummy’!
we all sang happy birthday and enjoyed the cake... the boys then gave OH the cards they’d made along with a photo book that they’d picked the photos for and daughter had put together... OH was very touched and the three of them sat looking at it.... social distancing... what with grandpa... not on your nelly!
Finally it was time to go as it was nearly 5pm...
When we got back to the cars they produced a fold up jigsaw mat and another jigsaw fir him...
Daughter gave him lovely bottle of wine some scrumptious cheeses from their local deli , jar of port chutney... such generosity from them all...
I’m sorry to say that we both gave our daughter a hug and the boys gave us ..as Viktoria would call it.. leg hugs!
a wonderful day enjoyed by all of us ... wonder when our next get together will be..
The journey home was a lot quicker as the M25 and A1 were very quiet... like the old days when few cars on the road!
Our chicken casserole smelt lovely as we came into the house and with mash pots, cabbage and a glass of wine it all went down a treat.
It was a pleasure to sit down in a comfy chair and put our feet up...
A nice end to a lovely day...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 19 October 20 00:34 BST (UK) »
Good to hear from you RTL, we've been thinking about you and hoping things haven't been too tough. Not surprising that you're so tired, your shift patterns sound exhausting. Good that you were cheered by the sight of the geese.

I agree that it must be so hard for the rough sleepers, reminds me to count my blessings. The news about the vaccine sounds very good, it would be great to have something to look forward to in the new year.

Hope your shifts go well and you can enjoy your days off when they come. 

Caroline,  the bit I just wrote in response to your post disappeared  :(

Sounds like you had a wonderful day, your OH must have been very touched by the thoughtful presents and all the other things that were done to make his day special. The hugs must have been worth their weight in gold.
(Thank goodness you didn't hit the deer!)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 19 October 20 00:36 BST (UK) »
My day  (nearly forgot!)

It was raining this morning but cleared out later on. Had been reading for some time, decided to go for my walk after I'd put some washing in.

Very quiet around the field and woods today, was good to get out. Took a few photos of the ever changing woods, there's still a lot of green despite the path being carpeted in leaves. Everywhere slightly muddy.

Home for lunch, can't really remember what I did early afternoon but I was busy most of the time. Did some more to my painting and sent to art teacher for approval and suggestions.
Later on I ..... (drum roll) ..... made some soup! I'd picked poor Caroline's brain about what to use instead of crème fraiche then probably drove her mad with details of the lactose content of various Greek yogurts. In the end I'd actually managed to order a lactose free one.
Chopped the carrots and sweet potatoes into chunks for roasting as per the recipe. It did occur to me that sweet potatoes cook much faster than carrots. Left them for ages, eventually finished with a couple of minutes in the microwave. Cooked onions, garlic and vegetable stock as directed, put the slightly cooled veg in and blitzed with the very efficient new hand blender. It turned out great! I could have left it like that actually, it was thick enough but added the yogurt. It's now in the fridge, will have some tomorrow and freeze the rest. I expect the roasting added flavour, in future I'll probably do more veg when roasting a chicken then freeze them for when I want to make soup.

While I was doing the soup I put some cod in a dish with chopped tomatoes, peppers and some new potatoes and cooked it in the oven for tea. Forgot to add herbs but it was okay.

Watched Portrait Artist, none of this week's entries particularly grabbed me. I thought the winner had placed the sitter's finger in an unfortunate position.  ::)
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 19 October 20 05:51 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the kind messages Roobarb and Caroline. 
I know, it is a shame that after all the streets were cleared and the homeless given accommodation, people are back out on the streets again.  It almost seems like a sign things are getting back to 'normal'.  Although, sad to say it, I think some might be professional beggars, who might get more money from appearing homeless than from working.  I tend to think that the ones who are genuine  tend to shelter but the ones who place themselves out sitting in the elements (wind and rain) but where they can readily be seen are the pretenders.  For instance, I once saw a young man, nicely dressed, with a sign asking for money at an open bus stop area.  It was like a wind tunnel and raining hard.  I felt quite cynical about him as I think if you were  genuine homeless I doubt you would deliberately want to get a good soak and freeze like that.  This is why I think it is probably better to give money to a homeless charity rather than to individuals so that help is not diverted from away from the genuine.
I have been feeling quite bleary eyed but writing again on this diary thread has helped make me feel a bit more awake for the day ahead.  I hope my 12 hours goes quickly as I am looking forward to getting back to bed again, already.  Going from a late finish to an early start always feels a bit tough.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 19 October 20 08:06 BST (UK) »
Nice to hear from RTL, and I am grieved by her punishing shift schedule, and by the thought of rough sleepers who must suffer so badly in the colder months, especially in the North. 
I woke in the night recently, rather cold, and was lying there under the duvet, wondering how people in a shop doorway can manage.
Flying geese is only a small reward for waiting in miserable weather at a bus stop.
Roobarb your soup sounds delicious, and you did well to use the oven for your evening meal at the same time. Good idea to cook extra veges for later soup use.
Caroline your family day out sounds totally perfect, (apart from sleeping late and dashing around,) and I am happy for you and OH that it all worked out so well.
DIARY: Lots of washing being done as I anticipate a long spell of rainy days due for this area.
In the afternoon visited an open garden, which was tranquil and pleasing to walk around some ancient oak woodland. The ground literally was carpeted with acorns. I have never seen so many over such a distance, but not a single squirrel, oddly.
In the evening while watching "Greatest Showman", I ripped out the baby beany and started again, as when it had settled it was very obviously not the correct shape!!  :-\  Not sure if I have it correct even now. I enjoyed the film despite sound issues.
Have a good day All. 
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 19 October 20 13:51 BST (UK) »
What a lovely birthday surprise your OH had, Caroline, and your daughter certainly pulled out all the stops.
RTL, I really admire your daily conscientious attitude to your work. Thank you and do take a break for yourself soon.
All those folk cooking up lovely mouth-watering stews and dinners I salute you.

We had a lie-in which is completely out of character for us so we were all behind throughout the day. We picked the remaining Bramleys which the blackbirds had left for us though it wasn't a good crop this year. The apples are badly mottled with black spots. Last year a late frost took most of the blossom leaving us with just 10 apples. This year the tree was a picture in the Spring and we were very optimitistic for our harvest. I picked a few more runner beans which have been successful this year. OH did some tidying up in the garden and filled the green bin ready for tomorrow's collection. I have decided to delay taking out the Summer bedding plants because there's no colour left when that decision is taken. Only a couple more green collections left this year.
A rather lazy Sunday but made a couple of phone calls to friends we haven't been able to meet up with. Didn't do a walk today - my excuse being that it was too dull and chilly! I was late preparing our roast dinner which was a pity but we eventually sat down at about 7.30. Tonight it was roast pork, roast potatoes, cabbage, leeks and carrots, not forgetting apples sauce!
Delight of delights our eldest grandson telephoned us out of the blue and we all had an interesting chat about his university course and life in general.
Inspector Montalbano our TV choice from previous night.
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 19 October 20 20:29 BST (UK) »
Mowsehowse, perhaps the squirrels were lying on their backs wishing they hadn't scoffed so many acorns  ;D  Sounds a lovely place.

Ankerdine, unfortunately I think dull and chilly will be much more the thing for a while.  :(  Must admit it is discouraging but I've found that once I get myself out it doesn't feel half as bad. Lovely for you to have an unexpected call from your grandson.

Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham