Author Topic: Alexander Noble - but which one?? (Re The Nobles in Fraserburgh)  (Read 2264 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Noble - but which one?? (Re The Nobles in Fraserburgh)
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 October 20 10:14 GMT (UK) »
For a fascinating account of life in Broadsea and the old fisher families there, I recommend you to read The Christian Watt Papers.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/7738124-the-christian-watt-papers

Christian's mother was a Noble and she mentions many other members of that family in her account of life there.

Harry

Offline ablanchishere

• RootsChat Extra
  • I hope you're having a lovely day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 05 December 20 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Thanks hdw,

Apologies for the late reply, I've been having a good look around for an ebook version of the Christian Watt Papers and have had no luck. Looks like I'll have to find a paperback (hopefully someone's got a secondhand copy in Australia!). Thank you very much for the recommendation!

On another note, for those that are interested, I've since been able to narrow down the Nobles in my family tree to:

Joseph Noble (b:1868, Fraserburgh) - Mary Bella Hutcheson
Alexander Noble (b: 1846, Fraserburgh) - Ann Stephen
Andrew Noble (b: 1817, Fraserburgh) - Helen May
Alexander Noble (b: 1779, Fraserburgh) - Margaret Noble
Gilbert Noble (1745 or 1755, Fraserburgh) - Margaret Crawford

If anyone is also a descendent of Gilbert Noble & Margaret Crawford, I'd be interested to compare notes (not to be confused with the Gilberts of a similar age married to 'Ann Crawford' and 'Jane Crawford' respectively).
Scottish:
1/Maternal (Tomintoul/Kirkmichael, Knockando/Aberlour, New Pitsligo, Tyrie) - Grant alias Brown, alias McIntosh, McGregor, Cameron, Farquharson.
2/Maternal (Fraserburgh, Broadsea) - Noble, May, Masson, Stephen, Crawford, Ritchie, Gardner, Thomson, Summers.
3/Maternal (Banff, MacDuff, New Pitsligo) - Hutcheson, Hendry.
4/Maternal (Edinburgh) - Wilson.
5/Paternal (Fife) - Myles, Black, Aitken, Bennet, Younger, Latta, Paterson, Adamson.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 05 December 20 17:46 GMT (UK) »
I've been having a good look around for an ebook version of the Christian Watt Papers and have had no luck. Looks like I'll have to find a paperback.
There are 31 copies for sale at www.abebooks.com at the moment.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.