Author Topic: Quarantunes  (Read 1980 times)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Quarantunes
« Reply #27 on: Monday 02 November 20 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Billy -- I had forgotten about that song. I don't know that singer either - unusual voice.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Monday 02 November 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
My way-back favourite was Noel Harrison (Rex Harrison's son?) "singing" the theme from the "Thomas Crown Affair"
("Round, like a circle in a spiral,
like a wheel within a wheel etc.")
Absolutely no idea, but I can detect it being played at the softest volume, in a tiny fragment, anywhere.
Oddly, same with "Eye Level", was it? The original "Van der Valk" signature tune?
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 02 November 20 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Strange how a tune can get you!!!

Mine is Halfway to Paradise. A few years ago, I`d just managed to put it as a ringtone on my phone. The day after I was queueing in the bank when I heard the first few notes; my first thought was the bank had a radio playing!! Then I remembered !!! ::)

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 02 November 20 19:09 GMT (UK) »
BillyF --- I would have been shocked if your special tune was anything BUT 'Halfway to Paradise' -- in view of your allegiance since youth with Billy Fury. I loved that also -- and him.

Funnily enough I must have recorded 'Sounds of the 60s' sometime and I started watching it last night;

Sandie Shaw (never liked her)
Dusty Springfield
Long John Baldry (whom I had completely forgotten about)
Lulu
Tom Jones

I still have the rest to watch. Those were the days when music had a melody - and often a beat.

In all honesty though, I am a Country and Western fan -- also a fan of Irish Music. I just love Danny Boy - although it always brings tears to my eyes. A Scottish Pipe Band has the same effect!
Places of interest;

Offline BillyF

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My lovely Mum about 1940
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Pennines, I hadn`t read your last post until now. How strange that you mention Long John Baldry, my husband and I were only talking about him yesterday !!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 18:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes -- it's so odd that coincidental things like that happen. A person you haven't seen for ages will pop into your head -- and then you will suddenly see them!

(Whether you recognise them these days with a mask on is a different matter!!)
Places of interest;