Author Topic: Diary > Monday 19th October  (Read 659 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Monday 19th October
« on: Monday 19 October 20 23:50 BST (UK) »
Had been thinking about going for a walk on the beach today, it was quite bright but it was windy and despite that being southerly it was quite chilly. Decided to leave it till another day and go instead to a local park for a change of scenery.

Halfway there the tyre pressure alarm sounded on my car, couldn't believe it that another one was down. I don't think it's doing it much good standing for so long. I'd deal with it after I'd been in the park.

Had a walk around, it's quite pretty with a lake, ducks, swans and a couple of noisy geese. (I read in the news that Lakeland in Florida is selling off some of the descendants of the swans given to them by the Queen in 1957 as they're costing too much to feed. $400 per swan. Bargain.  :) )

Lots of trees in the park and apart from a rose garden, no formal flower beds. It was pleasant enough and made a change but I prefer the woods near to where I live.

Was going to put off dealing with the tyre but told myself off and went to a petrol station along the road. Realised afterwards that I could have gone to two others that are actually on my way home. Ah well, I got it sorted out anyway.

Had some of my homemade soup for lunch, it was really thick, too thick actually, I put some hot water in it. It was very filling too. Froze the rest in portions after adding water to it.

Didn't feel like doing much today, just general tidying around and emptied the dishwasher. Tesco delivery about 4.30 then everything just as usual.

Hope others have had a more interesting day,

Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Monday 19th October
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 01:45 BST (UK) »
Sometimes it’s nice to have a change of scenery if only to make you realise familiar places can be rewarding.... glad to hear your car was sorted out easily...

Well today was OH’s actual birthday and I woke quite early but read for a while before getting up to make him a cuppa and bring his cards up... but when I checked he was already awake and preferred to get up! ...
Once downstairs I quickly checked the video link and downloaded it and while we had breakfast we watched it.... my our daughter had gone to great lengths for her dad it was great to watch and we both had a tear on our eyes... lovely words from friends and family interspersed with so many photos from across the last 70 years... wonderful and something to cherish...
FaceTime with daughter afterwards to thank her for that and lovely day yesterday...
Next it was a FaceTime with son in Oz.  ... such a shame we can’t get together...
Next SiL phoned he had long conversation with her...
Finally by now late morning and he’d just opened cards and my pressie... 2 new golf clubs so he’s a happy bunny.... out in the garden to give them a go ...
Messages come in from family and friends over the course of the day...
Niece who got engaged a couple of months ago has given us the date of 1st May for her wedding providing things are back to some sort of normal! If not it will be later but they wanted to set an actual date... something to look forward to..
After lunch we had a game of scrabble.... I thought I ought to let him win on his birthday..but didn’t need to as I got a good thrashing..... but I’m still one game up!
Set the table and decorated with lots of little 70’s and stars and the helium balloon I’d bought...
Our dinner arrived ... not much to do to it....
Twice baked cheese soufflé ontop of mixed leaf salad with shredded Parma ham, sun dried toms, artichokes drizzled over with balsamic...
Main course was slow cooked shoulder of lamb with mash and green veg and red wine gravy...
Our friends arrived and we had a wonderful evening the food was delicious and I hadn’t had to cook any of it! One of our friends made dessert a Black Forest gateau.. it was stunning, huge and tasted like heaven!
Finally went to bed at about 1pm... leaving all the clearing up to do in the morning... 😩
I hope he enjoyed his day ... he’s not good on surprises or lots of attention but I’m sure he managed for once to have others thinking of him and not the other way around!
One if the best days over these last 7 months!
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 07:35 BST (UK) »
Not much really ,a good tidy round,I have stuff for attention laid out so I don’t forget to attend to it !
Number two son phoned , not much news but nice to hear from him ,he is so busy time runs away with him .
Little cat OK.
On Radio,a cat lost for three years was just a mile  away from its home!
All disconfybulated this morning,woke up and it was nine fifteen,why no alarm son would be at the door hospital appt at least half an hour’s drive at nine thirty !!!
Then looked again ,quarter to three!!!
Had a bit more sleep then up again seven forty five ,oh ye gods !
Dash dash, but looked at the phone ten to seven ,honestly ,my eyes are playing tricks .Well I hope everyone has a nice day ,and catch up later .
Viktoria,— well I think so but I could be someone else entirely!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 09:54 BST (UK) »
Oh Viktoria, after today you will be sorted out, and can be calm and serene again......
Or maybe not, perhaps you are like me..... zen is not applicable!!

Most of our days were routine and not particularly interesting before the virus I dare say Roobarb, but we didn't really think about it much as we had holidays, the odd theatre trip, or meal out with friends to look forward too. But I reckon we still had a fairly low key routine most days.
Good news you sorted out your tyre pressures with the winter coming on.
Caroline yesterday and Sunday were a lovely high spot for you and OH. Congratulations to him.
Diary: An early bread raid on town, and through the centre to Lidl, it being still very quiet. Very swiftly in and out of there, then walked home along the sea front and up past the harbour. The tide was fully in, and not much wildlife around, but a pleasant enough walk.
Exciting message came in during the afternoon; a barn was available for an evening dance practise  if anyone wanted to attend. Fantastic! A flurry of emails then rushing around to get tea out of the way and be ready in time.  The barn, attached to a very old pub was decorated with fairy lights, and sufficient space for the musicians in a group at one end and the dancers as a separate group at the other end. Wearing masks throughout was not super comfortable, but worth it.  Hopefully we can go there again a few times.
The rain started just as we were leaving the car park, and there was heavy rain most of the night, and howling winds which are forecast to last all of today.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline ankerdine

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Scottish relatives sisters?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 14:03 BST (UK) »
One of my ancestors, a David Blair, shot a swan in the early 1900s and was going to have it for Christmas Dinner! He was found out and fined but I don't know what happened to the bird itself.
Monday used to be washing day so I decided to strip the bed and wash the bedlinen. Feeling quite motivated for once I felt like making a cake - knew I shouldn't  because of those extra calories. However, it turned out quite well for once as I am finally getting used to my new oven. It was a Mary Berry recipe for an easy fruit and almond cake which you shouldn't cut for 3 days!
After lunch we decided to go for a short walk just around the back of our local church and then through a few nearby streets. The autumn colours are beautiful just now but it would have been improved by some sunshine. There was quite a bit of litter on the waste land behind the church; the footpath leads to a local housing estate and industrial site. We did find a B&Q trolley amongst the acorns and conkers. Passing by the little cafe/craft shop, where I meet my friends sometimes for coffee, I noticed a small group from the local U3A litter pickers relaxing after collecting 49 bags of rubbish. Well done to them.
The afternoon walk was quite enjoyable until we  passed through a local area of traffic calming. Unfortunately a young woman had pulled up fairly sharply to allow motorists coming towards her to pass through the narrow area. A man in a van drove into the back of her vehicle, he then proceeded to get out of his van and harangued her through the driver's window with the most awful language. It must have been terrifying for her as it shook us up too. People were getting out of their cars and trying to calm the situation. The woman then got out of her car to speak to the man who then started to hit and kick her car. She had children in the car with her who starteded to get out, although other people persuaded them to get back in. Eventually the man turned his van around and drove away without any thought for what he had done. He must have been drunk or on drugs to behave in such a way. A most horrible experience.
We talked about this event quite often into the evening. Finally we watched "Who Do You Think You Are" which was most interesting and enjoyable.
Blair, Marshall, Williamson - Ayrshire, Wigtownshire
Saxton, Sketchley - Nottinghamshire, Leicestershire
Brown, Green - Rutland
Hawker, Malone, Bradbury, Arnott, Turner, Woodings, Blakemore, Upton, Merricks - Warwickshire, Staffordshire
Silvers, Dudley, Worcs
Deakin - Staffordshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 18:53 BST (UK) »
Oh ankerdine!
That must have been upsetting for everyone except the man shouting.
Did he bear a great resemblance to a gorilla, swinging his arms about looking up  from sort of underneath the person he was haranguing and
was his right eye in some way damaged because if the answer is yes then it was my neighbour .!!!
I kid you not!
Disgusting on every count  and  dangerous with children amongst traffic,
What a moron.

Well sitting quietly at home this afternoon I fell asleep ,all my chronological mix ups!
Woke suddenly ,thought- oh ye saints and little fishes! Incontinence has at last arrived, it might have waited until after Christmas!
But- no- I had nodded off holding a beaker of tea,it was that I could feel ,soggying up my joggy  bottoms !,the beaker was at an angle ,thank goodness for joggy bottoms ,or my lovely cream armchair would have been ruined.
This suite is not quite four years old and has has a few accidents happen to it.
Two years ago at Christmas grandson’s friend called ,when he went there was a blue bottom on the settee.
They had ignored them” Wash before wearing “label of Indigo dyed jeans.Insurance paid out on the basis that it was only two years old but Cintique had no more of the material ,so it all would need re covering etc.
Blue bottom has gone but infra red photos the insurance did show the indigo is lurking ,waiting for any dampness to spring in to life and ruin it!
So money is there but I love the material .
So not an “ accident”!
All seems to have gone well with the laser treatment ,pressure was26 and 28 when I arrived but when measured after the rest Period of 40 mins was 9 and 14, will get another appt soon unless the stringent measures coming into place here in Greater Manchester upset things.
Was very naughty after treatment which was not agonising etc ,was unpleasant for a few minutes during the process,as a little frame thingy is tucked underneath your top eyelid and inside your bottom one .
But drops etc take away most of the feeling
Son took me to Morrison’s for a couple of things.
How dufficult I found it to keep two meters away from the few other customers , a couple for example were right across the aisle with their trolley and she near the shelves,quite spread out—-‘ May I pass please”— a little  shuffle giving a foot in which to pass !
Bought a four strip Kit Kat!M!mmm, eaten the lot !
For some strange reason I wanted a hot dog,something I NEVER eat.
Got a tin, not much flavour ,and again —- bought a jar of piccalilli ,no idea why I wanted those things ,not sure but perhaps so many products in my eyes in a short time, aroused my taste buds as you do swallow some of them. Altogether  was there from 9-30 until about 2 pm.

Well I don’t think I will be squinting at Martin Chuzzlewit tonight!

Watched  Boris  and Andy Burnham on TV, what a complicated situation .
Oh dear ,but the best news for me today is that I am not incontinent,!!!

Viktoria.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 21:11 BST (UK) »
What lovely treats for your OH's birthday Caroline, sounds wonderful and so touching for him to have the results of your daughter's hard work.

Viktoria, good to hear that your lase op went well. I bet you sleep like a log tonight!

Mowsehowse, great news that you have somewhere for your dance practice, good to have a little bit of normality despite having to wear masks.

Ankerdine, what a truly awful man to behave like that. No doubt he was angry because having driven into the back of the vehicle he would be deemed to be at fault. Not that it sounds like the woman would have any chance of swapping insurance details with him! He shouldn't have been driving so close.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 23:48 BST (UK) »
I’m late trying to catch up with everyone’s very different days...
I keep saying this but I do really feel that some sort of archive could be made of the diary entries... not necessarily every post but each person’s actual daily diary... kept for posterity and a snapshot of life under Covid from around the country/ countries....
Mowsehowse- hope your dancing went well and how lovely for you to meet up with your friends and enjoy some normal activities..

Ankerdine - what a terrible way for that man to behave... I’m sure everyone was very shaken up and frightening for the children in the car... sometimes it beggars belief how some people react... hope you’re feeling a bit better now..

Viktoria- once again you had me laughing at the description of your neighbour!
I hope you’ve recovered from thinking you had suddenly become incontinent too!
Glad to hear your trip to the hospital was successful and your purchases from Morrison’s sound very eclectic!
Sad to say that since you wrote your post Manchester now in tier 3....

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 00:43 BST (UK) »
Viktoria, you are hilarious!!!! I wish you lived next door to me.

Caroline, your hubby’s celebrations sound wonderful (and uplifting for everyone).