Author Topic: Messages on Ancestry DNA  (Read 9580 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Messages on Ancestry DNA
« on: Tuesday 20 October 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
I'm just interested to know if others think the new messaging system is working okay.

I know its common for messages to go unanswered at the best of times, and, for that reason, I don't send that many. I only now contact people if I think it would be really helpful to my research or to theirs to exchange info.

So I've only sent 3 since the new 'wonderful' messaging system was introduced and - not a murmur of a reply from any of them. I'd take it on the chin, as usual, if it wasn't for the fact that the latest one I sent was to a lady with a very big tree (private); who, like me, manages a few other accounts, and who actually states in her profile that she's happy to answer messages (i.e. she's obviously a serious researcher). But I've heard nothing.

I'm just typing these messages in a cramped little box that opens at the bottom of the screen and then clicking 'send'. My outbox seems to signal that the message has been sent but I'm now wondering if I'm missing out an important new step in the process!  ???

HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

guest189040

Re: Messages on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 12:47 BST (UK) »
It is not the best communication system.

I only contact people if they have been on Ancestry within the last month yet responses are hit and miss.

Yet some keep in semi regular contact and one distant Cousin DNA Match of my Wife is in regular contact and they are now Facebook friends as well.

Mutual help also works from time to time but mostly it is that they are seeking info.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 12:48 BST (UK) »
It’s working fine for me, I sent a message a couple of days ago, I received a reply this morning.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 13:41 BST (UK) »
There are two ways of sending messages one in a speech bubble from shared * dna page

One from when you go on tree owners profile

I get mixed up which is which  but think the metthod which doesnt give you the format  with a title gets better responses

Could be imagining it but maybe one method gives email alerts and the other just adds a green number to the envelope on home page

ive definitely had a lot of responses recently....even from relatives who dont have very active accounts .
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 14:53 BST (UK) »
There are two ways of sending messages one in a speech bubble from shated dna page
One from when you go on tree owners profile

I get mixed up which is which  but think the metthod which doesnt give you the format  with a title gets better responses

Could be imagining it but maybe one method gives email alerts and the other just adds a green number to the envelope on home page

ive definitely had a lot of responses recently....even from relatives who dont have very active accounts .

Sorry, I'm probably being a bit dense but what did you mean by "in a speech bubble from shated dna page"?  I've been looking everywhere for a speech bubble!!
HELP!!!

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
On DNA shared matches page
Click on someone who matches you
You see the big bubbles and options of seeing their trees ethnicity or shared matches with them but in top right corner there's a speech bubble for messages
That's the one that gives option of titling your message

If you click on their big bubble to see their profile you get an option to send a message

Hope that's clearer and pls excuse typos
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 15:45 BST (UK) »
Oh, I see - I was literally looking for bubble shapes but my 'Message' in top right hand corner is in a rectangle! I was being dense!

I've used that method before but I think all three messages sent under the 'new' system were sent through their profile so I might go back to the former and see if it makes any difference. I'll give the lady who vows she always replies another few days and then send her another polite message via the 'bubble' method.

Thanks for your patience.
HELP!!!

Offline rlw254

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 18:27 BST (UK) »
Considering now you can see if the person has read your message or not I would suggest checking what it says underneath your sent message. If it has a read receipt then you're being ignored or they are coming up with a particularly long response.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 18:30 BST (UK) »
Considering now you can see if the person has read your message or not I would suggest checking what it says underneath your sent message. If it has a read receipt then you're being ignored or they are coming up with a particularly long response.

or - possibly - they've read and thought 'oh yes, I'll reply to that' and then got occupied doing something else and forgotten to do it......
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex