Author Topic: Messages on Ancestry DNA  (Read 9579 times)

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
Re: Messages on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 18:46 BST (UK) »
Considering now you can see if the person has read your message or not I would suggest checking what it says underneath your sent message. If it has a read receipt then you're being ignored or they are coming up with a particularly long response.

I'm obviously having a very dense day! I didn't know that I could tell if my message has been read. I've checked my outbox messages and it says when each message was delivered (which is good news) but I can't see anywhere that says its been read. How would they know?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Romilly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 19:03 BST (UK) »

Ancestry doesn’t seem to be sending an email to Mailbox to alert you that you have a message.

The last few replies that I’ve had, I’ve happened to find, but no alert.

Perhaps that could explain why so many people aren’t responding?

Romilly.
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Researching:
Wilson, Warren, Dulston, Hooper, Duffin, Petty, Rees, Davies, Williams, Newman, Dyer, Hamilton, Edmeads, Pattenden.

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 19:52 BST (UK) »
Not dense jill
I didnt know yoi could tell if amessage has been read or not
It would be very useful to know  there's a note that says delivered when sent but I cant find the read sign either
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Albufera32

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 20:08 BST (UK) »
When the person reads it the word "delivered" changes to "read."

So if your messages currently say Delivered at the bottom, the other person hasn't read them yet.
Howie (Riccarton Ayrshire)
McNeil/ McNeill (Argyll)
Main (Airdrie Lanarkshire)
Grant (Lanarkshire and Bo'ness)
More (Lanarkshire)
Ure (Polmont)
Colligan (Lanarkshire)
Drinnan (New Zealand)

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 21:13 BST (UK) »
Thanks Albufera found it now .
Learn something new everyday

Not necessarily ignored tho some people think they can't answer if their subs have lapsed because they can't send new messages .
It's sometimes worth reminding them that they can .

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 21:58 BST (UK) »
So. 8 of my last 10 messages have been read
4 have replied ...1 will probably reply when they get more information we.ve corresponded before

I answered with one of those polite messages wishing me luck but sceptical about our potential link

Oh and one is typing now ...

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 16:30 BST (UK) »
I must admit to getting more and more confused by this.

I looked up the last two people I have messaged and both were last on RC either today or yesterday, yet both messages are still being marked as unread,

If they'd been marked as read but I'd had no reply, I'd just shrug my shoulders and add them to the long list of people who don't bother to reply. But, as they're shown as delivered (so presumably not read) I'm seriously wondering if the system is working as well as it used to. Why do these people insist on changing something that wasn't broken??? Do they no longer send email alerts? Are people just meant to notice the little number by the envelope sign at the top of the screen?  I had a figure 1 on my 'envelope sign' for months but it was indicating a message I'd read and dealt with ages ago. No matter how many times I went into it in order to try and 'convince' Ancestry's system that it had been read, it took weeks before it finally disappeared of its own accord.

There doesn't seem much point wasting my time contacting people if they're not going to receive the message! I think I might email Ancestry with this , though that will probably be a waste of my time as well. They'll probably blame covid - everyone else seems to!!
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 17:22 BST (UK) »
The whole thing seems to have a mind of it’s own. A few weeks ago my little envelope was showing 53, they are all old read and replied to messages going back several years.

In the past few days I have exchanged messages with a couple of people, each time I have received notification and the number on the envelope has gone up to 54, dropping back to 53 as soon as I read the new message.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

guest189040

« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 21:20 BST (UK) »
Messages do seem to be a bit hit and regarding displaying that we have an unread message in our Inbox.

The last incoming message we had sat there without us seeing it for a week or so, yet the previous one displayed an unread message icon on the main menu bar.