Author Topic: Messages on Ancestry DNA  (Read 9531 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Messages on Ancestry DNA
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 21 March 21 11:38 GMT (UK) »
The system is a shambles compared to how it was a few years ago.

I've been in contact very recently with a DNA match & we've sent each other numerous messages i.e. my last 12 messages have been replies which have shown a 'tick' as read (I've always had replies) but when I want to reply (after finding more info.), when I click on my envelope (top of page, right side), his name isn't there!...

I have to open a message from top of the list (delivered a year ago), then scroll up to his last message  ???

I have another I sent a message to, it's been 'delivered', no reply (we've corresponded before i.e. not a new recipient) & her 'green light' shows 24/7 although her profile states she last signed in 3 - 11 months ago  ::)

Annie
The last logged in time is definitely no longer accurate - I have many people that say they last logged in 3-11 months ago, who have just replied to me on Ancestry, which you can only do by logging in :-X ::)!!

Offline frostyknight

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 21 March 21 13:22 GMT (UK) »

[/quote]
The last logged in time is definitely no longer accurate - I have many people that say they last logged in 3-11 months ago, who have just replied to me on Ancestry, which you can only do by logging in :-X ::)!!
[/quote]

I agree with you, I've noticed quite a few new DNA matches whose profile says they became Ancestry members in January 2021, yet they too are recorded as having last logged in 3-11months ago!! A bit misleading.

Offline Janethepain

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 21 March 21 14:28 GMT (UK) »
2 points here, firstly, the log in date etc. can relate ( if using computer, and not a DNA specific app), to your basic Ancestry account, which many people have for years before testing their DNA. On your DNA matches 'home page' the date relates to their DNA testing date or results available date, and not the date they first joined Ancestry.

Secondly, of course many, like me don't sign off regularly, so their last sign on/in date bears no relation to being signed in, in order to send a message, as you stay signed in to the service on your computer.

Jane
Allison - Rumford Stirlingshire & Ireland
Quinn - Rumford, Glasgow, Monklands & Tyrone
Convoy - Rumford, Monklands & Tyrone
Burke - Glasgow, Clifden Galway
Duffy - Cleland Lanarkshire, Monklands, Falkirk, Ireland
Curran - Cleland, Ireland
Reynolds - Cleland, Shettleston, Tollcross, Antrim
McDermott - Cleland, Shotts, (London)Derry