Author Topic: Circus or Theatre Sunderland 1939  (Read 689 times)

Offline Ian Moseley

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Circus or Theatre Sunderland 1939
« on: Tuesday 20 October 20 13:00 BST (UK) »
I am tracing the history of a cousin of my Fathers.
I find her in 1939 in Sunderland, searching through the 1939 register I also find many Theatrical Artistes Dancers Vocalists.
They were obviously part of a traveling show.
Can anyone please help by pointing me in the right direction to find out who's show this was?
Many Thanks,
Ian Moseley.   

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Circus or Theatre Sunderland 1939
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 13:15 BST (UK) »
There was a production called "Way Out West" at the Empire Theatre Sunderland in the week of the 25th of September. Some of the cast were Jack Carson, Buck Warren, Chick Cooper, Hal Jones, and Jack Curtis. Were any of these the names of the artists in 1939 Registration.?

Stan

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ian Moseley

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 20 October 20 17:44 BST (UK) »
Hello Stan,
Thank you that is the information that I was looking for. Jack Carson and my Great Aunt had a close friendship, I never met her, but her escapades are well known in the family. She was at one time a knife throwers assistant, we have photos of her. Jack Carson was a South African, he had a circus in India at one time, and towards the end of his life he worked for Chipperfields circus. He also appeared in one film as an American Indian. Must have been quite a character.
Many thanks,
Ian.

Offline JStockley

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 07 April 21 18:53 BST (UK) »
Hello Stan,
Thank you that is the information that I was looking for. Jack Carson and my Great Aunt had a close friendship, I never met her, but her escapades are well known in the family. She was at one time a knife throwers assistant, we have photos of her. Jack Carson was a South African, he had a circus in India at one time, and towards the end of his life he worked for Chipperfields circus. He also appeared in one film as an American Indian. Must have been quite a character.
Many thanks,
Ian.

His real name was Andrew Scholtz and he changed it to Jack Carson at some stage. (1890-1962) and he was born in Cape Town, South Africa. Jack had his own circus in Coimbatore, India but later became Chief Eagle Eye. He played a small part in the movie Circus Horrors. He performed as Chief Eagle Eye in the movie. He played small parts in other English movies as well. Jack Carson died on 9th July 1962, aged 72, at his home 263 Old Brompton Road, London SW5. His funeral was at Golders Green Crematorium, on 13th July.