Author Topic: Help with locating a Coat of arms  (Read 2441 times)

Offline BobWatsit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help with locating a Coat of arms
« on: Tuesday 20 October 20 22:32 BST (UK) »
Hello

I am hoping with some help if it is possible.

I inhereted an antique jewelry box over the last couple of months which has been in my family since the beginning of the 1800s. On the top of the box is a quartered coat of arms. Which is a mixture of two family crests.

In regards to this we think that this will be the cost of arms of the husband and wife, the husbands parts of the family crest we can identify as our own, however the wife's crest is more difficult as there are a couple of people it could relate to and we don't have records for these families. There is however one person identified that is most likely to be which is a lady that was part of the to Rout family.

I am trying to track down an image or description of what the crest of the  Rout family from Suffolk would have looked like in the 1800s or over the couple of hundred years before.

If there is a similarity then this would link the families together.

Hopefully someone might point me in the right direction.

Cheers

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
Re: Help with locating a Coat of arms
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 10:50 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.   :)

Have you considered contacting the College of Arms?  They should be able to advise you.

https://www.college-of-arms.gov.uk/
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kiltpin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stand and be Counted
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 11:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Bob, 

Heraldry is a visual medium - a picture really is worth a thousand words. If you have the box, take a picture and post it. That way we can blazon the image we see. 

As to Rout - "The General Armory" does not have a listing for that name. Routh, Routhe and Routledge, but no Rout. 

The College will be able to help you, but be aware that they charge 110 Guineas per hour or part there of.   

Regards 

Chas
Whannell - Eaton - Jackson
India - Scotland - Australia

Offline BobWatsit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 19:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. The College of Arms may be an option if all else fails. The quote I have had however is quite expensive. Almost prohibitively so. It will also depend on whether the Rout family crest was registered so it could be a expensive excersize for nothing.

I have attached the images of the crest from the box. I can explain some of it as we can identify the parts of this that belong to my family.

It is a quartered crest. When you look at it the stag on the top of the crest this belongs to my family as does the crest in the first and fourth quarters. We are completely aware that my families crest of this time was not registered, neither does it conform to the Law of Arms, also the stag is more representative of a Medieval Coat of arms than one from the 17 - 1800 which is when this coat of arms was used.

We however do think that the crest in the 2nd and 3rd quarter does conform and may as a result have been registered. So I am hopeful that this can be identified. The area of the crest we are trying to identify is the 2nd and 3rd Quarter. The round helmet both on the top of the coat of arms and these quarters as well as the sword definitely does not relate to my family.

Due to the age of the box it is most likely that the 2nd and 3rd quarters will be the family crest for the family of Elizabeth ROUT. Which were a fairly powerful family in Suffolk in the 17 - 1800. 

Hopefully this will give this a chance of an ID.

Cheers

Matt