Author Topic: More missing Troths  (Read 787 times)

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
More missing Troths
« on: Wednesday 21 October 20 01:45 BST (UK) »
Has anyone looked at this before?  I can't really see anything via Search...

As far as I can tell Troth is normally a Worcestershire (and more specifically Bromsgrove) name although there are branches elsewhere.  I'm trying to trace birth info of the William Harry Troth on 7 August 1837 mentioned in this Bible.  St Johns parish and Birmingham are mentioned but I can't see there was ever a St Johns parish in Birmingham or surroundings.  There was one in West Bromwich but only from the late 1800s.  However the parish church of Bromsgrove has been St Johns for centuries. 
I hadn't realised that birth registration was only "required" from 1837 but it wasn't fully enforced and between 3% and 10% of the population didn't realise what was required of them.  It didn't become illegal not to register births etc until much later in the 1800s.  I can't find this birth anywhere and wonder if he was one of the 3-10%?
DNA checks suggest he more than likely came from Bromsgrove rather than Birmingham but I've realised that the Troth family used a smallish selection of Christian names over an over again and seem to have had many children so it's sometimes hard to follow things through.  For instance, several researchers seem to have muddled up branches of Belper Troths with those from Bromsgrove.  None of the children mentioned in the Bible (or a marriage to the lady from Germany) will be in UK records; he went off to Australia before any of them came along.  I'm wondering whether this German lady (who wasn't formally his wife) wrote the details and he had merely generalised with Birmingham as his place of birth?
As another matter, if I wanted to see the marriage records for St Johns, Bromsgrove for 25 September 1768 (marriage of Joseph Troth and his wife Sarah), where would I start please?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: More missing Troths
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 04:00 BST (UK) »
There is no birth or baptism for a William Harry Troth ca.1837 anywhere,  nor such a person on 1841/1851/1861 census.   A plain William was born in West Bromwich but it's not him as he still in UK 1891.

I note on his death certificate his father is given as William John Troth but no trace of this person either.

All very odd.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 08:42 BST (UK) »
Do you think that all that information has been written at the same time, and so is just from memory, or was each entry added individually, and so there will be variations in pen used, ink colour, change in writing over the years?

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 09:18 BST (UK) »
YesI think it probably WAS written later but I did try variations on the year with no luck. His quite lengthy obituary in Australia gave the year correctly.  As you say, it all seems very strange!  The only other point is that he is referred to as William Henry at that point but I know that Henry and Harry are often interchangeable.

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 09:26 BST (UK) »
I may be way off track here, and please ignore if needs be.
I have found five Troth children born between 1771-1780 to a Joseph and Sarah Troth, Sidemoor Bromsgrove Worcestershire,Joseph's occupation is listed as Nailer on all births. I thought it may throw up something that helps.
William 22/1/1771.
Samuel 11/6/1773.
Elizabeth 2/12/1775.
Joseph 4/3/1778
Deborah 2/2/1780.

I cannot see a marriage yet.

Steve
Census Information Crown

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 09:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. There are Troths aplenty in Bromsgrove and William is a name they use often (along with Samuel and Joseph). I do have the ones you mention but I can't follow through to any Williams born around 1837 from there.  The only real clue I found was the West Bromwich one but I can see he didn't head off to Australia...

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 09:35 BST (UK) »
Actually his obituary in itself is quite interesting as he apparently fought in various campaigns in the 1860s on his way to Australia.  I'll post it if anyone might think there would be more clues there?

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 17:28 BST (UK) »
I'm hoping this will be clear enough.  It's not the obituary but it gives details of his British Army service. I think the date he joined up was 1857?

Offline Ranolki

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 18:37 BST (UK) »
Re comment about Joseph &  Sarah Troth mentioned in the replies, those ARE the two I'm looking at.  Various people have recorded her surname as Butler but I'm reasonably sure the Troth/Butler marriage was later and in Belper (ie two different people).  I also have two potential dates of death for  Sarah but I'll be happy to find out what her true name is before I start looking into her death!  One person has recorded her name as Clark/e.  I can't see anything to say where that came from and only one person shows that info within Ancestry so I'm trying to establish where it came from.