Author Topic: Merchant Navy CR1 Card  (Read 979 times)

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
Merchant Navy CR1 Card
« on: Wednesday 21 October 20 15:55 BST (UK) »
C.R.1. Card (Merchant Navy) for Thomas Salder Porter birth year 1893 South Shields.

1) Does the N.R.5(1931) means he was not a registered seaman for 5 years prior to that date i.e. 1926?

2) The Dis.A. No 1122705, would that be his discharged no in 1925/6? It is stamped with 27 Feb 1925 or 1926

3) Certificate of Discharge for the following reason: First issued previously working as a boilermaker. So are we saying that prior to 1925/26 he was a boilermaker

1901 Census Seagoing Fireman - error this is his father
1911 Census Heater Ship Yards
1939 Register working in the Shipyards

Could the ship be S.S. Leicester?  hard to read.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
Re: Merchant Navy CR1 Card
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
Could you post a copy of the Card CR1?
Its seems his Dis A number is erroneous.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 19:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that.
Your guesses would be by and large correct. Still not sure concerning the Dis A Number. Maybe the ships 1925 Logbooks and Crew Agreements can clear that up.
I read the vessels name as LUCELLUM official number 135487. Her details for the year 1925 are here
https://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/viewimages?year=1920&name=LUCELLUM&steamsail=Steam&year=1925+&submit=enter
Her Logbooks and Crew Agreements for 1925 can be obtained from the National Archive at Kew
http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/C2481138
Be aware that it is a little chaotic at TNA at the moment. With a waiting time up to a month to obtain a seat.
I find it difficult to believe the entry in the 1901 census. an  8 year old Marine Fireman!

I can find no evidence to suggest he served in the MM in WW1.
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 23:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for your help.  Yes 1901 census is his father.

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 20 09:40 BST (UK) »
C.R.1. Card (Merchant Navy) for Thomas Salder Porter birth year 1893 South Shields.

2) The Dis.A. No 1122705, would that be his discharged no in 1925/6? It is stamped with 27 Feb 1925 or 1926.

It is his Dis.A number from joining the Merchant Service and it looks correct to me.

3) Certificate of Discharge for the following reason: First issued previously working as a boilermaker. So are we saying that prior to 1925/26 he was a boilermaker

Well, in November 1924 he signed on LUCELLUM o/n 135487 as per CR2 card which you may or may not have. So a boilermaker prior to joining the MN.

You may also wish to check this out as he may have served in the RNR during WW1 from 1915.
BT 377/7/99114 - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8558365

Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 20 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Hugh
Thank you so much for your response and link, very much appreciated.  Where did you obtain his CR2 card from? Any chance you could post the CR2 here or email it to me?
Kind regards
Pamela

Offline HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 October 20 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Pamela,
Can you send your email to me via private message please and I will pass it on. The CR2 is blank on the reverse which usually means ship lists were transferred to another card or indeed he did not have any more but as many of those cards are incomplete it is difficult to know his full service unless you know his very last ship and you can use crew agreements to back track his service.

The 1924 Crew Agreement for LUCELLUM 135487 is held at the Maritime History Archive in Canada which should be able to give you his previous ship if he had one. The 1925 Crew Agreement is at Kew as linked by Seaweed previously
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline Grotto77

• RootsChat Extra
  • Family Photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 22 October 20 17:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks again for all your help and time.  I've learnt alot.