Author Topic: Richard Eshelby 1820 and 1797  (Read 377 times)

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Eshelby 1820 and 1797
« on: Wednesday 21 October 20 17:18 BST (UK) »
I am looking for the baptism record for Richard Eshelby 15 Aug 1820, Holy Trinity, Hull.  It has been transcribed as parents Richard and Sarah, but the only follow-on records I can find to fit are for Richard and Dinah Morley married 31 Aug 1816.  If any one has access to the scan of the original parish record for Richard's Baptism, please could you decide if Sarah is likely to be a mistake, could it be Dinah?  The 1841 census for Richard and Dinah show all their children, at the regulation 2 year intervals - but there is a gap at 1820. 

Thank you for your help.
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Longfield - Yorkshire/Newcastle
Franklin - Lincs/Yorks border
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Aitken - Fife/Lincolnshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Eshelby 1820 and 1797
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 19:18 BST (UK) »
The actual filmed record is on Find My Past -- definitely says Sarah as the mother -- their abode is Myton and the father is a Mariner.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 19:38 BST (UK) »
Pennines, although not what I was hoping for.  The Richard who married Dinah, and best fits my family was a mariner and they did live in Myton.  Eshelby is not ever so common, so it is a positive pointer.  Still it could still be wrong, I have found plenty of mis-entered entries - errors must have been made since handwriting began, and we carry on the tradition!
Thanks for your help.
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 20:40 BST (UK) »
Yes there is a filmed marriage of a Richard Eshelby, Labourer, to Dinah Morley in 1816 at Holy Trinity, Hull. One of the witnesses was a John Morley (probably a relative of Dinah).

I can't see a filmed marriage record to a Sarah prior to the birth of Richard jun in 1820.

The baptism is from Bishops' Transcripts -- the previous record for a baptism in those records also has a mother Sarah! So if a copy was being made of the actual parish registers it is possible that the scribe may have had the name Sarah in his mind. However we shouldn't assume -- but it is a possibility of course.
Places of interest;

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 20:50 BST (UK) »
Many Thanks Pennine.  I think I must let this one go - I was only following it up because Exelby in my Mothers name, and I came across it in Sherburn in Elmet, as a marriage to one of my husband family - only added that as I see it is one of your hunting grounds.
Kath
Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 20 09:04 BST (UK) »
Indeed it is Kath! What a coincidence - also at the time my ancestors were in Sherburn in Elmet they were using Dade Registers, named after William Dade, who believed that more family details should be included in parish registers.

They were brilliant!

It may be, that the actual Parish Registers for your Hull Church may give a different name - Bishops Transcripts are copies of the Parish Registers, sometimes done at the same time - but often done later to send to the Bishop at the end of the year. Unfortunately it's the Bishop's Transcripts on Find My Past.
Places of interest;

Offline kath davis

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 October 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
I came across one of the full descriptions - couldn't believe my eyes!  It was also Yorkshire - I understand it didn't catch on, pity!

My Sherburn family are Longfields - Richard acquired a few acres and moved to Lennerton in early 1840 and descendants were still in the area in the 1950s.  They drifted north from Pontefract over a couple of generations. In the 1890s they lost several family members within a few years - I suspect Russian Flu - it was not a welcome discovery during our own pandemic.
Good luck with your researches

Davis - Worcestershire
Dobson - Bucks/Essex
Exelby - Yorkshire
Chapman - Cambridgeshire
Harrison - Yorkshire
Palfreman - Yorkshire