Author Topic: Where did they go  (Read 559 times)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where did they go
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 21:49 BST (UK) »
Is this a possibility for your Patrick?

baptism
1st December 1894 Carrick on Shannon, Roscommon
Patrick Gavin father Michael occ Farmer mother Bridget formerly Quinn, Ballysundrivan
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1895/02226/1839359.pdf

1901 census Patrick age 9
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Roscommon/Creeve/Ballysundrivan/1659354/

1911 census Patrick age 16
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Roscommon/Creeve/Ballysundrivan/758013/

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 21 October 20 22:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the lack of info, his army records show a address as Ballygreany ballinasloe Galway and also blackwater town Tyrone, Co Armagh  his birth date is shown as 1888. all very confusing I know. My late uncle once told me that he turned up at the house when he was a child and noticed he looked very much like his mother (my gran)  he walked with a limp (which matches his war wounds) and my gran said it was her brother Patrick and he was heading up north to Blackwater town. My grans mother was Mary Gavin so we always thought gran was a natural child.
Mitchell Ireland Gavin ireland  Morrison Ireland Keogh Ireland

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 October 20 09:46 BST (UK) »

Sorry for the lack of info, his army records show a address as Ballygreany ballinasloe Galway and also blackwater town Tyrone, Co Armagh  his birth date is shown as 1888.

all very confusing I know.

Giving as much information as you know on the person you are looking for helps others to try and locate them.

Unfortunately I can't view Patrick's army details on Anc*y as the original image is on Fold3 and you need a membership - so is there no mention of his parent(s)?

Patrick Gavin
Record Type:   Disability
Birth 1888
Residence Place:   Ballingreay, Ballrahoe Co Galway
Military Service Region:   Ireland, Ireland
Discharge Date:   8 Jan 1920
Service Number:   18118
Corps, Regiment or Unit:   Leinstes Regt
Service Branch:   Military (Army)
Title:   PRC Ledgers
Description:   Pension Record Ledger
Reference Number:   13/MG/1679

My late uncle once told me that he turned up at the house when he was a child and noticed he looked very much like his mother (my gran).

My grans mother was Mary Gavin so we always thought gran was a natural child.

What was Patrick's mother's name? Do you know her maiden name?

From Patrick's 1921 marriage entry to Mary Daly (image posted at reply 6) we know his father was named Michael Gavin and they were both farmers and his residence Ballymacward.

Is there any connection to either of the witnesses to his marriage?
Robert Harrison or Bridge Gonigy

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 22 October 20 10:37 BST (UK) »
Hi Ladyhawk, and thank you for your patience with me,  I put a post in the DNA forum a few weeks ago asking for there advice on a match I have on Ancestry, the match was Patrick Gavin's grand daughter and it turns out that they thought that what my gran said to my uncle all those years ago was true (Patrick was her brother)   now I am 99% certain that Elizabeth's (my gran ) mother was called Mary as she is at the same address in Ballygrany living with a Mary Barrett as a assistant in the 1901 and 1911 census, That's the same Ballygrany that is in the army records of Patrick but there is no mention of his parents in his army records. So the mother of Patrick has got to be Mary but on my grans wedding cert she has her dad as Patrick but Patrick as you pointed out is different.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 22 October 20 11:53 BST (UK) »
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 22 October 20 12:10 BST (UK) »
That is a possibility, I have all the school records with children in the area of Ballygrany and Ballymacward areas but no sign of elizabeth or Patrick in any of them so I'm guessing they either did not go to school or they had been put in some industrial school as there mother could not look after them.

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 22 October 20 12:19 BST (UK) »
Possibly more information:
There are some Petty Session registers:
January and April 1916 (same case, I think)
Patrick Gavan, Ballygreany complaining about Pat Greaney

Lots for Mary Barrett - 1871 - 1915
In 1915 - P Gavin is a witness = again Pat Greaney is the defendant
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kerrill

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 October 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
That sounds very interesting heywood, Greany was there neighbour who eventually bought the house and land from my gran, will do a search and see what I can find  :)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 October 20 17:36 BST (UK) »
....now I am 99% certain that Elizabeth's (my gran ) mother was called Mary as she is at the same address in Ballygrany living with a Mary Barrett as a assistant in the 1901 and 1911 census,

OP,
Is this your Mary Gavin living with Mary Barrett (Barret) in the 1901 and 1911 censuses?

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Galway/Cappalusk/Ballygreany/1385635/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Galway/Cappalusk/Ballygrany/462663/

In 1911, she is down as 'single', and in 1901 'not married'.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter Co. Derry; Jackson Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott Co. Derry; Neilly Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy Co. Antrim; Nixon Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble Co. Sligo