Author Topic: Regina Coeli Hostel, Nth Brunswick Street  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Michael Spillane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Regina Coeli Hostel, Nth Brunswick Street
« Reply #9 on: Monday 15 February 21 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Regina coeli was apparently run by mission of Mary, I’ve contacted them asking for any info, they replied and said they will look into it for me, that’s as far as I’ve got so far

Offline Graham Torphy Whelan

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 April 22 20:05 BST (UK) »
It's an absolute disgrace they totally stone Wall you about information about your loved ones,
They hide behind the legion of Mary order as if that has any relevance or importance, their protected by the State as they were when they carried out their atrocities on vulnerable women and children,
Don't let up on them demand what's rightfully yours

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 09 April 22 02:14 BST (UK) »
www.childrenshomes.org.uk/DublinReginaCoeli/

Extracts from the final report of Commission of Investigation into Mother and Baby Homes
https://www.irishcatholic.com/a-place-where-women-were-encouraged-to-keep-their-children/
Article dated 21st January 2021)

I have been in touch with Gordon Lewis, who is the author of two books, detailing his experience as a child in the Regina Coeli Hostel. Look him up. He's worth a read and his words may be able to give you some answers to what their lives were like there.

Newspaper articles about or by Gordon Lewis.
  "Real lives: We were called the unfortunates but that's not how I viewed myself" "Daily Mail" 26th April
  "How an Irish boy born in a home for unwed mothers became an international success story" "Irish Post"
   24 Dec. 2020
   "Being there meant my mother and I could be together" "Irish Independent" 17th Jan 2021
He's making a film. Article "Life of Legion of Mary founder Frank Duff to be made into a film" "Irish Times" 2nd March 2022.
He and his mother lived there until he was 9, his mother keeping his existence secret from her family.
Regina Coeli was different to other mother and baby homes in Ireland in that it enabled mothers to keep their children.

Cowban