Author Topic: Oates Timber Merchants  (Read 850 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
Oates Timber Merchants
« on: Thursday 22 October 20 00:31 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you know anything of the history of Oates Ltd Timber Merchants in Worksop?

The reason I ask is because my great great grandmother, Julia Oates, was apparently a relative of Oates of Worksop. I do not know of this is true or not but she was born around 1858 and her father was William Oates. However on her marriage certificate he is listed as being a cab driver. So I wondered who in his family would have owned it? (If any of them did!)

It would fascinate me if there were photos of the owners. Especially as, in my collection, I have lots of old family photos with no writing on and noone to tell me who they are. Would be lovely to join the dots.

I thank you for your time. It may be a dead end but it is always good to check these things.

Cheers all
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
Re: Oates Timber Merchants
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 20 02:03 BST (UK) »
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 20 09:12 BST (UK) »
There is an Oates on 1939 register living in Worksop, works manager of a timber yard saw mill.

Added:
His father was John William Oates, papermaker, and grandfather was George Oates, engine man, so just coincidence.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 October 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
There is an Oates on 1939 register living in Worksop, works manager of a timber yard saw mill.

Added:
His father was John William Oates, papermaker, and grandfather was George Oates, engine man, so just coincidence.

Well, I did say it was only heresay. An old relative wrote me some notes saying "The mother (Julia) was a relative of Oates of Worksop. I believe they were timber merchants".

I guess I always assumed it was correct. So I guess not then!

MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 October 20 14:20 BST (UK) »
NFHS has a baptism but far away from your 1858 Birth for Julia.
Worksop- St Mary(Priory)Church
18 April 1841 -Julia dau of William & Ann Oates, abode Park Gates, father a woodman.(wonder is she sister to your William)
There is also a baptism in the same church which has a possibility of Being Julia's father, the dates match from census.
5 Mar 1822 William son of William & Sarah Oates abode Lodge Gate father a woodman.
Marriage 24 Jan 1811 William Oates and Sarah Watson. William and Sarah baptised 3 children. Then there is a burial, same church again, 9 Aug 1825 Sarah Oates aged 35 abode Park Gates.
Second marriage for William?
26 Jul 1827 William Oates and Ann Taylor, with a further 3 children baptised.

Birth-Dec 1857  Wortley and Penistone 9c/157 Julia Oates mothers maiden surname Keeal
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 October 20 15:50 BST (UK) »
NFHS has a baptism but far away from your 1858 Birth for Julia.
Worksop- St Mary(Priory)Church
18 April 1841 -Julia dau of William & Ann Oates, abode Park Gates, father a woodman.(wonder is she sister to your William)
There is also a baptism in the same church which has a possibility of Being Julia's father, the dates match from census.
5 Mar 1822 William son of William & Sarah Oates abode Lodge Gate father a woodman.
Marriage 24 Jan 1811 William Oates and Sarah Watson. William and Sarah baptised 3 children. Then there is a burial, same church again, 9 Aug 1825 Sarah Oates aged 35 abode Park Gates.
Second marriage for William?
26 Jul 1827 William Oates and Ann Taylor, with a further 3 children baptised.

Birth-Dec 1857  Wortley and Penistone 9c/157 Julia Oates mothers maiden surname Keeal

Gosh that is a lot to get my head around. I do think the 1857/58 birth is about right. She SO lied on the marriage certificate in 1863. She said she was 20 - which would make her born in 1863. However on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 censuses her age listed would have her birth as around 1857/58.

I wonder if the birth is the one where the mother has Keeal as a maiden name? All the notes say Julia was born in Wadsley Bridge.  I also wonder if I should give up on Julia as it looks rather complicated! 😂

Thanks again
MJ

Offline larkspur

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Tracing myself back to better people.Or maybe not!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 20 11:10 GMT (UK) »
"Birth-Dec 1857  Wortley and Penistone 9c/157 Julia Oates mothers maiden surname Keeal"

The districts around Sheffield changed over the years, if you have a look on Genuki it explains all this.
 https://www.ukbmd.org.uk/reg/districts/wortley.html

The way to be certain its your Julia's birth is to send for the certificate.
AREA, Nottinghamshire. Lincolnshire. Staffordshire. Leicestershire, Morayshire.
Paternal Line--An(t)(c)liff(e).Faulkner. Mayfield. Cant. Davison. Caunt. Trigg. Rawding. Buttery. Rayworth. Pepper. Otter. Whitworth. Gray. Calder. Laing.Wink. Wright. Jackson. Taylor.
Maternal Line--Linsey. Spicer. Corns. Judson. Greensmith. Steel. Woodford. Ellis. Wyan. Callis. Warriner. Rawlin. Merrin. Vale. Summerfield. Cartwright.
Husbands-Beckett. Heald. Pilkington. Arnold. Hall. Willows. Dring. Newcomb. Hawley