Author Topic: John Theobald etc, has anyone seen him?  (Read 394 times)

Offline findem

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John Theobald etc, has anyone seen him?
« on: Thursday 22 October 20 03:38 BST (UK) »
As there are a number of RootsChatters listing Essex Theobalds in Surname Interests I’m wondering if anyone has come across the a John Theobald (or any variant of the name) who would fit. 

I’m looking for the John Theobald who married Hannah Marriage 7 Apr 1741 at Little Tey, Essex.

That John Theobald was buried 16 Feb 1800 aged 85 years at Little Tey which would see him born about 1715.

The main candidate so far is John Theobald the son of Thomas baptised 5 Apr 1718 at Earls Colne, he does not appear to have married or been buried in Earls Colne.  Note that John Theobald and his wife Hannah Marriage did not name one of their eight children Thomas.

I have found the marriage of a John Theobald to Hannah Parmenter 12 Apr 1714 at Halstead which looks promising but I cannot find any children on Ancestry’s EPRI, FreeReg, Family Search or FindMyPast that I can attribute to that couple.

In case it would help here are the names of the children of John Theobald and Hannah Marriage in chronological order, all baptised (Except Elizabeth)  in Little Tey 1741 to 1758.

Hannah
Elizabeth bap in Great Tey, buried 4 Dec 1743 at Little Tey.
John
William
Samuel
Joseph
Elizabeth
Susanna

It's got me beat.

For the record, I've been advised that Ann is a diminutive of Hannah and so I noted some children of a John and Anne Tibbal baptised at Aldham Essex, including a son John baptised 20 Feb 1714 but that Ann is Anne Christmas who married John Tibbal at Aldham.  John and Hannah did not name a daughter Anne which makes me cautious about considering the son John of John and Anne as a husband for Hannah Marriage.
Concentrating currently on:
Essex: Card, Harris, Stowell, Theobald/Tibbles & Turner.
Norfolk: Beale, Cork & Dalton.
Yorkshire: Oswald Sturdy birth/baptism c1708, Oswald where the devil are you?

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk