Author Topic: William Hogg - Roxburgh Street - 15 in 1898  (Read 628 times)

Offline DudelsackHogg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Hogg - Roxburgh Street - 15 in 1898
« on: Thursday 22 October 20 09:52 BST (UK) »
I have been searching newspaper articles for Hogg’s and Hogg’s in Roxburgh Street.
I find the articles really shed a light on life back then and make for quite interesting reading.

I came across this rather short and colourful article and I thought would post it for anyone also looking for Hogg connections.

Initially I thought it might be one of my relatives, this coincides with the time they move from Kelso to Portobello, but after a quick check I think the article is possibly referring to William Hogg b 02.12.1882 son of James Hogg and Christina Hogg (Mackenzie).

A misspent youth is perhaps a kind way to describe his behaviour.

Jedburgh Gazette

“Woman Terrified. - For some time past, in consequence of reports as to molestation women in Kelso have been terrified to be on certain of the country roads near the town after dark. The police have been keeping careful watch, and they have succeeded at last in laying hold of the guilty person. A youth named William Hogg, son of a labourer residing in Roxburgh Street, Kelso, was brought up at a Police Court last week, and pleaded guilty to two separate charges of misbehaviour. A fine of £3 was imposed, with the option of one month’s imprisonment. Hogg is only fifteen years of age and it is only recently that he was dealt with under the First Offenders Act in connection with the theft of a watch from a helplessly drunk man on a public road.”

I’m curious to know what happened to William after this. Hopefully he turned his life around. So if anyone has a connection I’d be curious to hear more about him.

Happy searching.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: William Hogg - Roxburgh Street - 15 in 1898
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 20 20:57 BST (UK) »
Is this the family in 1891?

James Hogg 33 gardener
Christina Hogg 33
William Hogg 8
Christina M Hogg 6
Jessie Jane Hogg 2    
Hellen Elizabeth Hogg 6 Months

Address: 11 East Bowmont St, Kelso

There is a family tree for this line on A/try. You can find it here (if you have a subs to view) www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/105269/person/-2125799675/facts

The details here have William enlisting with the Royal Marine Light Infantry  in Jan 1899 in Chatham.
Marriage in 1906 and left the Royal Fleet Reserve in 1921.

His death is given as this one:

Name: William Hogg
Register Type: Cremation
Death Date: 3 Aug 1947
Burial or Cremation Date: 7 Aug 1947
Burial or Cremation Place: Edinburgh, Scotland
www.deceasedonline.com

You can view his death registration on Scotlands People to confirm it is the correct William.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk