Author Topic: 1911 Army ~ Ancestor help (York Military Prison)  (Read 937 times)

Offline WythenshaweWench

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jayne Sherratt-Bailey
    • View Profile
Re: 1911 Army ~ Ancestor help (York Military Prison)
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 October 20 18:18 BST (UK) »
There's an awful lot of information on there - I SO wish it had his full DOB, so I could confirm it was him, but there's a chance it may be.

I just need to try and understand all the codes now! eeek...
Joseph Scaife

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 22 October 20 19:57 BST (UK) »
Frankly you don't need to understand the codes which are little more that the clerks record of various elements of the administration of his pension.  This site (the originators of the saved cards) has guidance relating to the information such as it is :

http://www.greatwar.co.uk/research/military-records/ww1-pension-records-cards.htm (check the links  under information on the cards).

The medical record is on Findmypast but gives apart from what I have extracted only that it was 19 General Hospital in Egypt and that he had an abcess on his neck that needed an 11 days stay.

Would you like to give a link to the Merchant Navy record you have?

Welcome to the maddening world of military service research!

MaxD

I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline WythenshaweWench

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jayne Sherratt-Bailey
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 22 October 20 21:12 BST (UK) »
There's an awful lot of information on there - I SO wish it had his full DOB, so I could confirm it was him, but there's a chance it may be.

I just need to try and understand all the codes now! eeek...

Hi Max

Thanks for that, I'll check out that link.

I would agree that it IS maddening, but oh the joy when you find something that's RIGHT :-)

I found his Merchant Navy records on Find My Past - here's the link:  (If it doesn't work, just search for John Scaife with the birthdate of 1891).

https://search.findmypast.co.uk/record?id=TNA%2FMSEA%2FBT350%2F22%2F84%2F228424&parentid=TNA%2FBT350%2F2130928614%2F1

I'll see if I can find that medical record you mentioned too.

Again, many thanks for your help.

Jayne x
Joseph Scaife

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 October 20 09:54 BST (UK) »
The medical record is the third on this page:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&sid=101&firstname=john&firstname_variants=true&lastname=scaife&soldiernumber=28880&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

You said you had a record of discharge from a MN ship in Jun 1919 but the CR10 only has one date 28 July 1919 (I don't know that that date represents- others may do) - ???

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline WythenshaweWench

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jayne Sherratt-Bailey
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 October 20 10:42 BST (UK) »
The medical record is the third on this page:

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/search/results?sourcecategory=armed+forces+%26+conflict&sid=101&firstname=john&firstname_variants=true&lastname=scaife&soldiernumber=28880&keywordsplace_proximity=5&sourcecountry=great+britain

You said you had a record of discharge from a MN ship in Jun 1919 but the CR10 only has one date 28 July 1919 (I don't know that that date represents- others may do) - ???

MaxD

Thanks Max

Thats really interesting.  I DO wish I could find out the actual DOB so I can see if it's definitely him!  (or have I said that before?  It's always at the front of my mind, lol)

Re the discharge - I think someone told me that the date was a discharge from that numbered ship, but maybe I've not remembered properly.  And apologies - I'd written June, when I should have written July, doh. ;D

I know that 140566 relates to the ship Manchester Spinner (formerly the Grampian Range - see link - https://www.crewlist.org.uk/data/vesselsnum?officialnumber=140566&submit=search), and that he was on it, and I was sure that date was his discharge...

Yet more madness to try and fathom out!

Jayne x
Joseph Scaife

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 October 20 15:07 BST (UK) »
Not really my area but my understanding is that the date against the ship number on a CR 10 is the joining date.
I'll ask Hmac who knows about these things to advise.

(Doesn't help with the military record but will clarify that part at least).

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Online HMac

• RootsChat Veteran
  • www.sscityofcairo.co.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 October 20 16:24 BST (UK) »
The date shown on his MN CR10 card is the date of engagement - the date he joined in this case ss GRAMPIAN RANGE.
Regards
Hugh
Merchant Navy Research
ss CITY OF CAIRO

Offline WythenshaweWench

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jayne Sherratt-Bailey
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 24 October 20 11:52 BST (UK) »
The date shown on his MN CR10 card is the date of engagement - the date he joined in this case ss GRAMPIAN RANGE.
Regards
Hugh

Hi Hugh

Many thanks for this.  I've obviously had it the wrong way round :-[ But at least it makes some of what I'm looking at concrete.  I just now need to put together a timeline to see whether he's listed in two places at once (and therefore one isn't him!)

Thanks

Jayne x
Joseph Scaife