Author Topic: Looking for the origins of Cicely Ramsden Charteris, later Fidler, later Winson  (Read 1409 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the origins of Cicely Ramsden Charteris, later Fidler, later Winson
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 October 20 12:35 BST (UK) »
Vane Charteris made the papers a few times:

1894: Unlawfully shooting a pistol in Leyland, Lancashire. He was a proofreader, of Penwortham.
1894: Attempting suicide (with laudanum) in Preston, Lancashire. He was a proofreader.
1902: Threatening to kill his wife Minnie, in Hastings. They had married in 1893. He was a “foreigner”.
1903: Accidentally causing the death of a pedestrian in Rye, by cycling into him.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the origins of Cicely Ramsden Charteris, later Fidler, later Winson
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 October 20 14:14 BST (UK) »
Henry Vane Charteris is captioned in some Ancestry trees as 'also known as Edward Reardon'.

Possibly because father was surname Riordan.

Just wanted to confuse you more.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 October 20 14:29 BST (UK) »
Yes I haven’t yet delved into the Riordan/Reardon aspect. There is certainly plenty of scope for confusion.

My gut feel is that there is some wholesale reinvention going on here, with the adoption of assumed names trying to sound as though the family can be traced back to the Norman Conquest. Perhaps this is why Hastings appealed!

I still can’t get my head around the connection between Henry Vane Charteris and Vane Charteris, if any.
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 11:34 GMT (UK) »
Have usually found that child being adopted has some  connection with the adoptive family, in this case it looks like location.

In 1901 census Charles & Miriam Fidler are living Brook Terrace, Totley. RG13/4346 pg 8 folio 38.

Although there are no Charteris living in Grange Terrace in 1901 there is a Hannah Gilbert listed as retired domestic nurse, is it possible it was at her house Cicely was born?

When in Blackbrook, Belper this is the House in which Cicely lived
http://images.portalimages.com/22892/26179525/brochure/s1/636120361528668382/61b86161dc0afabce8b1065b8fd6ac00e43dbc5a.pdf

It does look as if Annie registered the birth giving a slightly altered name for the father Morris instead of Henry.  Like you having problems with Charteris family.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 11:50 GMT (UK) »
Cicely’s marriage certificate has just arrived, but since we’ve already identified her adoptive family I am not sure it advances matters.

Rose Hill Wesleyan Methodist Church, Rose Hill, Derby

13 November 1924

Samuel Winson 24 bach engineer’s fitter, of Town St, Duffield. Father: Ernest William Winson, butcher.
Cicely Fidler 22 spinster, of 124 Rutland St, Derby. Father: Charles Fidler, railway signalman.

Witnesses: William Dolman, Grace Winson, Charles Fidler.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Have usually found that child being adopted has some  connection with the adoptive family, in this case it looks like location.

In 1901 census Charles & Miriam Fidler are living Brook Terrace, Totley. RG13/4346 pg 8 folio 38.

Although there are no Charteris living in Grange Terrace in 1901 there is a Hannah Gilbert listed as retired domestic nurse, is it possible it was at her house Cicely was born?

When in Blackbrook, Belper this is the House in which Cicely lived
http://images.portalimages.com/22892/26179525/brochure/s1/636120361528668382/61b86161dc0afabce8b1065b8fd6ac00e43dbc5a.pdf

It does look as if Annie registered the birth giving a slightly altered name for the father Morris instead of Henry.  Like you having problems with Charteris family.

Spendlove

Thank you for finding the Fidlers in 1901 - very helpful.

I also wondered about the retired domestic nurse, and whether she was offering midwifery services.

I am no further forward with the Charteris line! Would love to find a candidate for Annie Ramsden.

Offline BetsyBoo

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 April 22 00:00 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm Cicely Ramadan / Winson's grand-daughter.
I will help if I can, though I would also love to know more about Morris Vane Charteris!
I can help a little more with Annie.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 16 September 22 23:56 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm Cicely Ramadan / Winson's grand-daughter.
I will help if I can, though I would also love to know more about Morris Vane Charteris!
I can help a little more with Annie.

Hello and welcome!

I’m so sorry I didn’t see your post before now. I would love to know what you have on Annie.