Author Topic: And so, what happens when you find you've been infected...  (Read 2694 times)

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
And so, what happens when you find you've been infected...
« on: Thursday 22 October 20 22:52 BST (UK) »
It seems likely that when my daughter was seriously ill in hospital in Feb/March she contracted the virus and I, in turn, picked it up when she came home, but at that time I was too busy coping with her illness to worry about what was happening to me.   However, we were isolating so not in contact with anyone else for most of the time.  But because of lung capacity problems, went  to GPs yesterday for bloods and to hospital today for chest x-ray & it seems that there were many cases on the ward where my daughter was.  So now a new and different adventure.  What a strange world we are living in currently.  Stay safe everyone x

GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: And so, what happens when you find you've been infected...
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 20 23:09 BST (UK) »
I am now wondering whether GS shared it with me! After her daughter came out of hospital and just before she was due to have her operation in March, I went to Wales to support them. I stayed in a cottage and we were very careful about distancing, no hugs or anything. Then came lockdown and I headed home and the operation was cancelled.

Two days later GS started coughing, and I started a few days after that. I had one day of feeling shivery, but felt okay apart from the cough which lasted about 3 weeks. At the time I just thought it was a normal cough, as neither GS nor I had any reason to think otherwise, as no one had mentioned to GS’s daughter that there had been covid in her ward.  That was before there was any testing anyway. If I had it, it was mildly, but I doubt if I’ll ever know unless they develop an antibody test.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 20 23:17 BST (UK) »
The thing about covid is that it is far more contagious than normal flu or other similar infections.  The good news is that my daughter seems to be recovering well and with no (hopefuiiy) covid aftermath.  And what a relief that my dear friend (thanks, RC for the intro) Jan seems not to be carrying any covid baggage. So now I'm waiting for the results of tests but feeling fairly stoic.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 October 20 23:57 BST (UK) »
I’m pleased to hear that your daughter is doing well in recovery... you’ve both certainly been through difficult times not helped by Covid!
Sorry to hear that you’re still suffering possible after affects from what ever you had earlier in the year and you too groom.... if you did contract it then it sounds as if it was fairly mild....

Both my OH and I had what felt a bit like flu for about a week and a cough that came and went in about three weeks in late February.... so you do have to wonder where that sprung from and went! It’s a pity there aren’t tests to see if you’ve had it however mild a form it might have been...
Take care and stay safe..

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 20 00:21 BST (UK) »
Makes you wonder, especially in the very early days, if a lot of people had it and shrugged it off as a normal winter ailment. It's only now, after GS has spoken to her doctor and been told it sounds very likely that she did have it, that it even crossed my mind that my cough was anything other than just that. As you say, it would be nice to know. 

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 October 20 01:14 BST (UK) »
Stay safe you two and M  :)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 October 20 03:22 BST (UK) »

Hear, hear!      Sounds pretty hit and miss if you can't have tests to tell politively if you've had it or not - just think you could be carrying wonderful antibodies - or not!

Stay well - hope you are feeling better soon GS.  Hope the tests can shed some light on what you are experiencing.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline mare

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 October 20 05:54 BST (UK) »

Another Hear, Hear from me to you three ...

Quite a concern really though, and in retrospect thankfully severity was not as significant at the time, while having to cope with more than enough already!

Testing here in NZ has come across a few 'historic cases' which test as weak positives, so that may be the case with many others who have been in some contact as well and asymptomatic or thought flu symptoms or a bit of a cold. Some of those here have come through the quarantine 14 day isolation facilities and so are outside the infection period expected, our numbers include all those along with those tested and confirmed and a few not tested or confirmed but suspected. Advice though to get a test even with slight symptoms or possibility of contact in affected places.

( virtual global hugs ) mare

Offline kiwihalfpint

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Women and Cats will do as they please
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 October 20 06:07 BST (UK) »

Another hear hear from me.  :-*

Hope you don't have to wait too long for the results GS.

Cheers
KHP