Author Topic: And so, what happens when you find you've been infected...  (Read 2662 times)

Offline roopat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: And so, what happens when you find you've been infected...
« Reply #9 on: Friday 23 October 20 07:50 BST (UK) »
The antibody test exists although not 100% accurate, my daughter had one requested by her doctor as part of a blood test for something else

When I had a routine blood test recently I asked the nurse for one but she said it could only be authorised by a doctor so I didn't bother him for it.

Greensleeves - as if you haven't had enough to deal with this year! Best wishes to you all.

King, Richardson, Hathaway, Sweeney, Young - Chelsea, London
Richardson - Rayne Essex
Steward, Hindry, Hewitt - Norfolk, North Walsham area

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 23 October 20 08:07 BST (UK) »
Antibody tests are available privately. The most accurate is the Abbott test (which uses a blood sample).

I had Covid in March and tested positive for antibodies over 4 months later.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 23 October 20 10:46 BST (UK) »
My husband and I had a cough with aches and other cold symptoms back in February, so due to the general news reports we stopped attending cinemas and theatre among other gatherings from 6 March, but we still have no idea if we have any degree of immunity to covid.

It seems outrageous now that people who needed to be in hospital were on wards mixed with covid patients.  I hope you daughter is making good progress GS, and that your lung problems are alleviated soon.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 23 October 20 10:59 BST (UK) »
How can anyone know if they have or have had Covid if you aren't being tested? . . . . unless you start showing antibodies . . . and by then it is a bit late.  It all seems a little bit like guesswork.

On what do they base the daily numbers of infections, deaths etc.  Just asking - politely.

Seems a bit odd to me.
Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 23 October 20 11:28 BST (UK) »
This is the problem, a lot of people may have had it without realising. Back in March, when GS may have had it and kindly shared it with me  ;D we wouldn't have been tested anyway, as they were only testing those who were admitted to hospital. If I had it, it was only mildly. My immune system is pretty good, I rarely get colds - I put it down to over 35 years of being coughed and sneezed over by the children I taught.  ;D
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 23 October 20 13:28 BST (UK) »
Doctors and other experts seem to be recommending taking vitamin D to aid your immune system. Might be worth trying - can't see it doing any harm, especially at this time of the year when there's so little sunlight.

It seems to me that the important statistic isn't how many cases they unearth but how many hospitalisations there are, and Greensleeves' story at the start of this thread would seem to confirm what I've read - that a lot of the covid cases are people already in hospital for other reasons contacting the virus whilst there. That's alarming.

Going back to lack of winter sun, I was looking at ads in the weekend paper for those SAD lamps which are supposed to do something to substitute for sunlight (not sure I understand how), They weren't that expensive. Has anyone used one?
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 23 October 20 14:11 BST (UK) »
May I wish all here the very best, whether you had C-19 or not, and trust that you will continue to recover.  Virtual hug.

BBC R4 Inside Science (programme and podcast) this week discusses the possibility of contracting C-19 again, after initial recovery. 

They can't at present say how many people may be able to catch it again, but it does appear that even if you know from a test that you've definitely had it, it's important not to regard yourself as immune.

Sigh.  Onwards and upwards and wash your hands, wear masks etc
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline Wiggy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • coloured by Gadget
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 23 October 20 15:20 BST (UK) »
How can anyone know if they have or have had Covid if you aren't being tested? . . . . unless you start showing antibodies . . . and by then it is a bit late.  It all seems a little bit like guesswork.

On what do they base the daily numbers of infections, deaths etc.  Just asking - politely.

Seems a bit odd to me.

Sorry folks - I didn't make myself clear - (Australian turn of phrase.)

I wasn't doubting GS, Jan or moogle's illness.   All the very best to you three and I hope you are all feeling recovered soon.   

I really was questioning how the UK can know who has had the virus, who has recovered, and all the other numbers, and how the Gov't is keeping the tally.   Just very interested to know how other countries do things.

(We've been told to get tested at the slightest sign of anything, hence my initial query.) 

Very best wishes to all of you in UK at the moment as the horrible illness takes hold again.

(Hope I am not digging myself in deeper.  Not my intention.  :-\ :)

Gaunt, Ransom, McNally, Stanfield, Kimberley. (Tasmania)
Brown, Johnstone, Eskdale, Brand  (Dumfriesshire,  Scotland)
Booth, Bruerton, Deakin, Wilkes, Kimberley
(Warwicks, Staffords)
Gaunt (Yorks)
Percy, Dunning, Hyne, Grigg, Farley (Devon, UK)
Duncan (Fife, Devon), Hugh, Blee (Cornwall)
Green, Mansfield, (Herts)
Cavenaugh, Ransom (Middlesex)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.

Online ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 23 October 20 15:35 BST (UK) »
How absolutely rotten to have had such an awful experience, Greensleeves ( and daughter), and poor Groom. As if you'd not had enough to worry about this year, one way and another. My very best wishes to you all for improved health, and good recovery. My mother always said people usually emerged from hospitals more ill than when they went in - perhaps she had something there?.
I'm a bit of a vit C & D fan, felt those helped me survive students' germs over the years.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)