Author Topic: And so, what happens when you find you've been infected...  (Read 2695 times)

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: And so, what happens when you find you've been infected...
« Reply #18 on: Friday 23 October 20 15:47 BST (UK) »
Speaking from an entirely personal perspective, it seems to me the English government does not have a vested interest in listening to the independent scientific view, and consequently they actually do not have the faintest idea about the levels of covid in the English community, and they care even less.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 23 October 20 16:31 BST (UK) »
Doctors and other experts seem to be recommending taking vitamin D to aid your immune system. Might be worth trying - can't see it doing any harm, especially at this time of the year when there's so little sunlight.

It seems to me that the important statistic isn't how many cases they unearth but how many hospitalisations there are, and Greensleeves' story at the start of this thread would seem to confirm what I've read - that a lot of the covid cases are people already in hospital for other reasons contacting the virus whilst there. That's alarming.

Going back to lack of winter sun, I was looking at ads in the weekend paper for those SAD lamps which are supposed to do something to substitute for sunlight (not sure I understand how), They weren't that expensive. Has anyone used one?

My husband uses one when light levels are low as he has Seasonal Affective Disorder     It does help with energy levels

Kay

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 23 October 20 16:41 BST (UK) »
I have been an advocate for Vit D as a stimulant for the immune system and prophylactic against, in particular, respiratory infections since the start - have contributed to a few threads about it - and I think it should be given/prescribed to all especially those who don't get exposed to light for long enough depending on whether they can/do spend any/enough time outside. IMO residents of nursing/care homes & BAME populations should all take it. It is possible to overdose on Vit D;  so I can't advocate it being added to, say, flour as anyone like me who takes in on prescription would get too much.

I would suggest you find out from the lamp manufacturers whether the light emitted stimulates Vit D production, jillruss.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 23 October 20 20:24 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your good wishes, kind thoughts and suggestions.  We too have read about the possibility of Vit D being effective and have been taking it for about a month now.  I know that in the northern hemisphere it's said that nearly all of us suffer from some degree of Vit D deficiency in the winter months, so it does make sense.

I must say I am glad that I live in Wales where our Welsh government has handled things very different to the national govt in Westminster.  As 'health' is devolved to our Senedd (Welsh parliament) it means that Wales can go its own way and set its own rules. No doubt Westminster will get its own back in due course, as it has with Manchester.

Hope everyone is staying safe and well. We've gone into lockdown tonight for nearly three weeks.  It was almost with a sense of relief that I closed the door when we shut the shop and came home this afternoon.

Love and hugs to you all and keep safe,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 23 October 20 22:26 BST (UK) »

... but we still have no idea if we have any degree of immunity to covid.

IgG antibodies appear in the blood as the Covid-19 infection decreases in the body.
 ----------
Scientists feel they have the first evidence of reinfections ...

Genomic evidence for Reinfection with SARS-CoV-2: a case study
by R L Tillett · Cited by 1
12 Oct 2020 — "All individuals, whether previously diagnosed with COVID-19 or not, should take identical precautions to avoid infection with SARS-CoV-2." ...

"The degree of protective immunity conferred by infection with severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 (SARS-CoV-2) is currently unknown. As such, the possibility of reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 is not well understood. We describe an investigation of two instances of SARS-CoV-2 infection in the same individual."
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30764-7/fulltext
 ----------
https://www.sciencemediacentre.org/expert-reaction-to-study-presenting-genomic-evidence-for-a-case-of-re-infection-with-covid-19-in-the-us/
 ----------
Similar theme article published same date

The Lancet 12th October 2020

What reinfections mean for COVID-19
https://www.thelancet.com/journals/laninf/article/PIIS1473-3099(20)30783-0/fulltext

Best wishes all, Mark

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 24 October 20 10:18 BST (UK) »
It is interesting about the reinfections as this was noticed in China in the earlier part of the year, when people were recovering, testing negative, and then subsequently testing a weak positive again. At that time scientists were unsure whether this was a reinfection, or whether it was the body's reaction to viral debris left behind. No doubt the research will have advanced considerably since then.

The importance of this, of course, is that any attempts at achieving herd immunity are doomed to failure if catching the virus does not give any degree of lasting immunity.  In the UK serious mistakes were made early on when a 'herd immunity' approach was advocated by Imperial College London and the government initially based its strategy on this. However, the model they were using to plot the likely course of the disease through the population was based on viral pneumonia, which did not act in the same way. Once this was understood, there was a sudden re-think because the new calculations revealed tens of thousands would die every month if nothing was done to halt the spread of covid-19.  Hence the hurried announcement of lockdown at the end of March in a desperate bid to stop the surging cases becoming totally out of control.
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 24 October 20 10:47 BST (UK) »
Greensleeves QUOTE:
"Once this was understood, there was a sudden re-think because the new calculations revealed tens of thousands would die every month if nothing was done to halt the spread of covid-19.  Hence the hurried announcement of lockdown at the end of March in a desperate bid to stop the surging cases becoming totally out of control."

And now we have a repeat in the UK, but while 3 out of 4 nations are taking suitable precautions, it won't help them because England is not, and no travel ban.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 24 October 20 10:55 BST (UK) »
This mornings Radio Scotland reported findings of the old BCG jag as being found effective against Corona both as a treatment & preventative . Trials are ongoing!

Skoosh.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 24 October 20 11:30 BST (UK) »
This mornings Radio Scotland reported findings of the old BCG jag as being found effective against Corona both as a treatment & preventative . Trials are ongoing!

Skoosh.

So would that mean that all of us who lined up at school to have the jab should be immune? If that's the case they would mean almost everyone wouldn't it?