Author Topic: 8th Hussars in Boer War  (Read 268 times)

Offline redcap0006

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
8th Hussars in Boer War
« on: Wednesday 21 October 20 17:59 BST (UK) »
Hi I am new here. I have read with interest posts of people searching for information of soldiers posted at the Curragh.  I have a similar interest and a question to those who have the knowledge. A Squadron of The 8th Hussars I have been told left the Curragh for South Africa on 13 Feb 1900. Among them a granduncle 4090 Pte Thomas Quigley. Anyone information greatfully received. Hopefully I have posted in the correct place.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Curragh Camp. Regiments
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 October 20 19:58 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Hi I am new here. I have read with interest posts of people searching for information of soldiers posted at the Curragh.  I have a similar interest and a question to those who have the knowledge. A Squadron of The 8th Hussars I have been told left the Curragh for South Africa on 13 Feb 1900. Among them a granduncle 4090 Pte Thomas Quigley. Anyone information greatfully received. Hopefully I have posted in the correct place.

Maybe you should click on 'Report to moderator' and ask for your post to be moved to the 'Armed Forces' board suggesting a title like '8th Hussars in Boer War'. There are quite a few military experts there who may be able to help you.

Good luck!

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 October 20 20:45 BST (UK) »

You are quite correct, he went to South Africa 13 Feb 1900, but returned 19 June 1900, he was discharged 14 April 1901 as medically unfit for further service, he had served a total of 3years 43 days. His brief record in on Findmypast.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline redcap0006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 October 20 15:38 BST (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Maybe you should click on 'Report to moderator' and ask for your post to be moved to the 'Armed Forces' board suggesting a title like '8th Hussars in Boer War'. There are quite a few military experts there who may be able to help you.

Good luck!

KG
Did as you suggested, hopefully it gets some attention from military experts. Thanks.

Offline redcap0006

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 October 20 16:01 BST (UK) »

You are quite correct, he went to South Africa 13 Feb 1900, but returned 19 June 1900, he was discharged 14 April 1901 as medically unfit for further service, he had served a total of 3years 43 days. His brief record in on Findmypast.
Thanks very much. Seems a short tour of duty. I am now trying to establish was he stationed permanently at The Curragh or the UK. What the routine of a 8th Hussar would have been, anything really concerning life back then. Tks again for taking the time to respond, learning more and more as my quest continues.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
Re: 8th Hussars in Boer War
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 October 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Redcap,

I have just moved your topic for you as requested.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk