Author Topic: Adoption 1930s Wales  (Read 2814 times)

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adoption 1930s Wales
« on: Friday 23 October 20 17:34 BST (UK) »
Good afternoon
I wonder if someone could help me.    I am researching an adoption which took place in the early 1930s; as was very common in those days there was no information forthcoming from the adoptee's new family.  The adoptee has passed away.   We had a birth date but when they applied for a certificate in the 1990s there wasn't one.    I have the adoptive parent's names and birth dates and got on to the 1939 register - as I had the death certificate I applied to get the record opened and this afternoon managed to look at it.    The birth date is out by one year less one day.   
I've been studying stuff online and I can see that there is an adopted children's register with the GRO but I do not know if a descendant of the adoptee can apply for a copy of the record.   
I'm hoping that someone who understands a bit more can put me on the right path.   This is not to contact the birth family's descendants but a curiousity about the adoptee's birth parent/s.   
I'm sorry cannot name names due to the nature of my enquiry.
Thanks in advance

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Adoption 1930s Wales
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 October 20 17:45 BST (UK) »
Not too sure on this one. 

Below is a link to the GRO information about adoption.  Not particularly helpful from your point of view.  However there is an email address that you may like to write to for clarification on descendants  of adoptees.

Explain that you do not wish to contact the birth family at all but just wish to do some research on the birth parents.

https://www.gov.uk/adoption-records

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see the email address.  All you can do is write and ask and see what response you get.

Best of luck  :)
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Online AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 October 20 17:55 BST (UK) »
A descendant of, or "person with a prescribed relationship" to, an adopted person can apply for access to their birth records under certain circumstances.

http://www.adoptionsearchreunion.org.uk/news/newsitems/newaccess.htm

Offline nestagj

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 16:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much for your help - those links were very useful.   

Have already had a database search done for record holders and have also applied for a adoption certificate,

I think it may be a bit of a waiting game....

Nesta