Author Topic: William Phillips  (Read 1286 times)

Offline Diggory Venn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Phillips
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 24 October 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
Yes, those three are my Harriet.  Thanks for the tip about GRO, I will try that later today.

Cheers,

Bill
Cooper, Jordan, Leek, Goode, Baldwin, Wilkins, Hiatt (all Warwickshire and/or Birmingham); Bennett (Gloucestershire)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 24 October 20 09:57 BST (UK) »
It's beginning to look as if William Philips was a child, before marriage, of Sarah Phillips - and either William Caldecott was his biological father anyway, or he became his father in practical terms after they married.  Ebrington, Blockley and Chipping Campden are very close to each other, and not far from Ettington (Eatington).

I don't think this baptism has been posted as a possibility for William - apologies if I am duplicating

William Phillips, illegitimate
Baptism 25 Dec 1826 Eastington, Gloucestershire
Mother Sarah Phillips, abode Erbington
Gloucestershire, England, Church of England Baptisms, 1813-1913

EDIT to add - a possibility to consider for his death

William PHILLIPS age 32 (1827)
Burial 18 Mar 1859 Birmingham, Warwick
England, Select Deaths and Burials, 1538-1991
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Diggory Venn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 24 October 20 10:52 BST (UK) »
You are not duplicating - that looks very much like the one!  And probably also that's the first one to explore re his death.  I have to go out now, but I will be checking later and will let you know the result.

Once again, many thanks.

Cheers,

Bill
Cooper, Jordan, Leek, Goode, Baldwin, Wilkins, Hiatt (all Warwickshire and/or Birmingham); Bennett (Gloucestershire)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 24 October 20 11:13 BST (UK) »
And probably also that's the first one to explore re his death.

It's on family search and it gives address as workhouse

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NGN6-B47

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 24 October 20 13:19 BST (UK) »

Baptisms (haven't found William or Emma's yet

Baptisms Ebrington
all to parents William and Sarah Caldicott - William's occupation Blacksmith
all in name Caldicott
Mary Ann 3 May 1830
John 22 Jan 1832
Thhomas

possible death reg for William Caldicott Jun qtr 1842 Shipston on Soar

see reply 28 for William's baptism

Emma Coldunte
Baptism 3 Oct 1834 Ebrington, Gloucestershire
Father:   William, blacksmith Mother:   Sarah
the surname on baptism record is COLDICOTE

from GRO indexes gives age at death

COLDICOTT, WILLIAM    age   42
1842  J Quarter in SHIPSTON ON STOUR  Volume 11  Page 298

Offline Diggory Venn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 24 October 20 16:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Ladyhawk, I am back home now and exploring further.

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Diggory Venn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 24 October 20 17:02 BST (UK) »
I've been through all the FreeBMD death entries for William Phillips in Warwickshire, Worcestershire and Gloucestershire, to find ages at death in the GRO index. 

This confirms that the most likely is the one Ladyhawk drew my attention to, March quarter in Birmingham, 1859, aged 32.  The only other with the age in the 30s is December quarter in West Bromwich, 1859, aged 34, but that  may be stretching his age a bit.

I'm intrigued to know if one of those is right, why was he so far from wife and home?  Working away again? Or a split-up? And why in the workhouse at such a young age - maybe he'd fallen ill, or had an accident at work?

I'm going to order a PDF death certificate for the first one, as my next move.  Maybe the cause of death may give me a clue.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Cheers,

Bill

Offline Diggory Venn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 06:50 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if I could seek further help from Rootschatters, please.

I’ve been trying to find the marriage of Sarah Phillips and William Caldecott, as identified in earlier posts.  It looks as if it was before 1830 if Mary Ann Caldicott, baptised 3.5.1830 at Ebrington, was their first child. That seems quite likely.

On Familysearch I found a marriage between William Collicut and Sarah Phillips at Worcester on 12.11.1829.  Some distance away from home, but not that far - and people did move away to do live-in work such as “in service”. If she’s the right Sarah, she would be 25 if she’s the one bapt in 1804, parents John/Susannah; or 35 if she’s the one bapt in 1794, parents John/Mary.

I think the later date is the more likely, simply because Sarah was very consistent in stating her age in the various censuses.  Apart from 1841 (when ages were rounded down and are sometimes unreliable) the ages she gave all indicate her birth as about 1804.

I wondered what you might think of my reasoning above, and also whether anyone has access to the record of this 1829 marriage in the register.  I can’t find it in GenesReunited - ordinarily I would have a look at Ancestry at our local library but that isn’t possible at present. It might be useful to see who were the witnesses, and occupations etc.

To update those who kindly helped me before, I did get a pdf of the death certificate of William Phillips in Birmingham, aged 32 in 1859 - which we thought might be my man, Sarah’s son.  But there’s nothing else on the certificate (below) that supports the theory, so I don’t yet feel confident about this one.

Many thanks,

Bill

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 18 November 20 11:38 GMT (UK) »

To update those who kindly helped me before, I did get a pdf of the death certificate of William Phillips in Birmingham, aged 32 in 1859 - which we thought might be my man, Sarah’s son. 

But there’s nothing else on the certificate (below) that supports the theory, so I don’t yet feel confident about this one.

Hi Bill - thanks for the update

One thing I did notice on the death cert. was William's occupation a Button Burnisher
wasn't your William Phillips occupation a Blacksmith

I checked the 1851 census and there is a William Phillips on 1851 census his occupation Button Burnisher but he's born c 1821 married to Drucilla, a son Charles they are living in Birmingham HO107; Piece: 2056; Folio: 49; Page: 2 not found them on 1861 census to confirm if Drucilla is widowed