Author Topic: Diary > Friday 23rd October  (Read 825 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Diary > Friday 23rd October
« on: Friday 23 October 20 23:35 BST (UK) »
Well this is going to be short and sweet as another day in paradise ...opps not quite.... passes in spectacular fashion.... that’s got you thinking hasn’t it...
I can tell you with great certainty that today was as dull as ditch water...

I woke quite early again and read for a while... OH up before me as I could hear him clattering downstairs....
It looked a reasonably bright day outside so I got the washing on the line before it changed its mind... not chilly at all...
Amended my shopping c n c for Monday... can’t pick it up until 4pm which is a pain as I like to do it first thing in the am so out before everyone else.. booked another one for two weeks time as I noticed that slots were getting booked up... horrified to see that there are currently no slots for deliveries or c n c Christmas week 😱😱..
Decided to give the bathrooms a good deep clean especially the showers, wash basins and bath traps and plug holes... we have very hard water resulting in a lot of lime scale... took me some time to do but a satisfactory outcome... such excitement I can hardly contain myself...
After lunch we had a game of scrabble and from being in the winning position almost until the end I lost so now back to just one ahead...
Started to rain so brought washing in.... cleared up after a while so got another lot out...
Time to do some cutting out of next lot of face coverings... not sure I’m too keen on one lot of fabric... scull and cross bones and lots of sculls... suitable for Halloween apparently...not that I’m a fan of that either...
You get the drift I’m not a happy bunny today... no particular reason just general fatigue with everything currently... shouldn’t complain were not in as poor situation as other areas and we’re lucky...
We had a zoom call with two sets of good friends... one just returned from Yorkshire.... and talking about visiting her sister for lunch in London 😱😱
You do realise you can’t do that .. I said... oh no she said I hadn’t thought about that... really...
Just had sausages and chips for dinner... not in the mood for culinary delights tonight...
Watched tv..
Came to bed for a read...
Sum total of another boring, uneventful day...
Do hope others have had a better one..
Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Re: Diary - Friday 23rd October
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 20 00:09 BST (UK) »
Sorry to hear you've had such a lack lustre day Caroline. Cleaning bathrooms is such a chore, enough to depress anyone. I think the weather makes a big difference too. I agree about the face masks, skulls seem a bit inappropriate.

My day  (not exciting either!):

Woke this morning from an utterly ridiculous dream. I'd set an alarm to make sure I got up in good time for my art class Zoom, was awake long before that but didn't get up till later.

Fortified by copious amounts of tea I put the laptop on ready for the class. It was a demonstration this week and the teacher mutes us all for that, thank goodness. Even in the short time before she did so there was someone clattering around. After the demo the teacher went through pieces of work we had emailed to her, mine was well down the list but I was pleased that she was very happy with what I'd done. Got some more advice on continuing it, hope I soon get the nod that it's finished. The class overran by an hour, at that point I excused myself before I died of starvation. Turned out to be good timing as my parcel arrived shortly after.

By the time I'd eaten and tidied up it was mid afternoon. It had been raining heavily during the morning but had cleared out to sunshine although it was quite chilly. Put on a slightly thicker jacket for my walk, it's one I bought in the sale last year. I was disappointed to find that the pockets aren't deep enough for my phone so I have to wear my waist bag underneath the jacket.

Set off in the opposite direction along the road for a change, there was a house round the corner with red and white tape crossed over the door and a notice saying Caution - keep out. Could only assume that someone who lives there has Covid, it rather unsettled me.
Walked around to the field and woods as usual. Found a tennis ball in the middle of the field on the way back, no sign of a dog walker so kicked it along to near the field entrance so someone might spot it.

Didn't do a lot else for the rest of the day, for some reason I find the Zoom lesson quite tiring. I feel sorry for all the folks working at home and sitting in front of a computer all day.

Salmon for tea and a couple of glasses of wine. Also had a mince pie, not the sort you eat with gravy. I love them, I could eat rather a lot before Christmas.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 20 09:31 BST (UK) »
Red and white tape across a front door Roobarb?  Not surprised it unsettled you, but I would guess it was police related rather than a medical issue. Glad your art teacher is pleased with your work, that you had a reasonable walk and the parcel didn't arrive at an inauspicious moment.
Caroline, I am fascinated that face coverings are so creative, though from a personal perspective, I feel skull and cross bones conveys a message I don't wish to convey. On a brighter note, did you see photos of the fantastic Shirley Bassey, celebrating 70 years in show business and looking wonderful in a gold sequined fish tail gown with a matching face covering?
My yesterday was much the same as yours Ladies, with one tiny difference....
I received a huge credit card monthly bill, and needed to pay that off, so H and I decided to walk to town by the side roads, as our daily exercise. We were hardly along the road, when I felt a burning sensation just below my ear and we realised I had been stung.  Thankfully H was able to remove it easily, and we continued to town. The area around the sting was looking angry, but not overly painful, and it subsided fairly quickly though it continued to be uncomfortable. (I can still feel the irritation now.)  We discussed the fact that it might have been a wasp, as the sting came out so easily, and we believe that bee stings are barbed, and might not have come out so easily.  Whilst queuing in the bank I heard a buzzing near my ear, and felt something inside my collar and then down my back. But very thankfully, no more stinging.
Reaching home, I carefully held my clothes away from my body, and heard something land on the bathroom floor.  Inspection proved to be a dead wasp. No idea if that was the creature which had stung me, as it seems crazy for two different incidents, but extremely grateful that I had not sustained multiple stings down my back, which could easily have been the case from a wasp.
The afternoon was sunny enough that I could sit on the balcony for a short time. A couple of guinea pigs have arrived in the garden next door, (perhaps for half term,) and are cute to watch.
Made a lentil dahl for tea.
Finished the baby beanie, with a pom pom on top. That's cute too.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 20 09:51 BST (UK) »
Roobarb- glad you enjoyed your art class...possibly handy to have he sound muted! I’m sure your artwork looks lovely and we’d love to see it 🙂
As Mowsehowse says the red and white tape is likely to be a police related matter rather than a medical one....
I’m going to make the scull and cross bones ones up first to get them out of the way.... can’t imagine who would want to wear one like that...

Oh my Mowsehowse- wasp stings are nasty but to have it inside your clothing until you got home to get rid of it was a terrifying thing... and you so calm and collected I’d have been jumping up and down screaming my head off! Well done you for your bravery...or your medical training not to flap about things! I do hope that you have recovered ok....
I don’t like large credit card bills but as that’s the way to pay for everything these days it’s one of life’s inevitable occurrences... as I shop once a fortnight it seems eye watering but just have to remind myself of this fact!

Hope you both have a better day today... as I write this sitting in the kitchen and looking out onto our back garden the autumn colours of the beech hedging, purple acer, smoke bush and the bright pink asters look a real picture of beautiful colours... the sun is trying to peep through the dark clouds and is throwing a strange light over the garden... It has a very therapeutic affect I must say.

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 20 10:20 BST (UK) »
I wasn't feeling very calm I can tell you Caroline.
I was poised to panic, and I did threaten to strip in the bank which surprised the cashier,  :D but as I didn't sustain a second sting in the first few seconds I wondered if I was imagining it, and hoped for the best really.
The card bill had car insurance plus xmas gifts for Oz, and a dress among other things; eye watering is a good description.
Your garden sounds really gorgeous, and I am glad you can enjoy it.
We have howling winds and heavy rain hurling straight at the balcony, so I don't think we will be sitting out today.  ;)
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 20 10:23 BST (UK) »
Freezer a bit better organised as son brought apples from neighbour , and my apples are starting to fall so might pick them today  and make more sauce but some not completely “ fallen” so there are pieces in the pies .
Bramleys do fall so well .
When I say fallen in the cooking sense I mean  not absolute  mush.
Had an accident yesterday, nit me,  my lovely silk and wool rug .
A light  saxe blue ,patterned.
Was a bit lazy  abd  too a mug of tomato soup In to the lounge, missed the little coaster where I put my cuppas abd it tilted over——- big splash on the rug.Scraped as much as I could with fish slice , sponged and sponged with a cloth wrung  out in  tepid water ,a little lemon juice sponging abd finally a  very weak  solution of carpet shampoo .
This morning all dry and no one but I can tell .
In a month or so it would under normal circumstances be turned to even wear ,when the big pre Christmas “ bottoming “ is done and then  the stained part will be under the settee .But only I will know, it us  barely  discernible .
The rug never looks dirty.
Needs vacuuming yes, but soiled no.
Cost the earth but what a bargain in the long run.
I would love to see some of your art work Roobarb.
Mowsehowse ,you are lucky such a sting in  the  facial area was not worse.
Yes bee stings killl the bee as the barb  means  the sting pulls  the bee’s innards out!
Caroline ,have you tried wrapping an old facecloth or such,  soaked  in vinegar,left a couple of hours and the calcium deposits should soften.
I used to put a bit of Vaseline round the tap where the water comes out.
Keeps it from building up ,just a bit.
Got some washing in. My work clothes, jogging bottoms and matching tops, have three sets , all comfy, cosy  and  hideous .
Navy, grey and maroon.Leisure suits!  ::) ::) ::)
Might make apple pie today, and a little one for neighbour.
I can sweeten mine with Canderel ,but hers with sugar,.
No plans really, must order Dairy Diaries ,they are handy ,and good to  have  in as extra presents.
I still have my sister in law’s and  niece’s from last year, just not  seen each other.
I expect the measures our area is now in  place will not be lifted for Christmas,
so no visiting etc.
Ah well, safe as well as can be expected, warm and sheltered ,managing so just carry on .
Oooos post arrived, I leave it a while  before  opening it unless it looks like a hospital appointment .
So another day .
Keep on carrying on girls .
We can do it.
Viktoria.

Sancerre and steed ao

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 October 20 10:32 BST (UK) »
Tomato soup is lethal for staining I imagine Viktoria, so you have done well to save your lovely blue rug.
Comfy and cozy is good, and probably not hideous at all, everything being in the eye of the beholder.
Yes, very lucky about the sting not being worse..... we assumed since there was only one it must have been from a bee, and were most surprised to discover it was definitely a wasp inside my clothes.
Whatever happened, I am thankful.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 24 October 20 10:45 BST (UK) »
Oh no Viktoria- your rug sounds beautiful and tomato soup is a #*#////# to get out without leaving a horrid residue Mark, so we’ll done you for it now looking beautiful again...
Amazing how natural old fashioned methods work so well on stains, grime etc..
Thank you for your suggestion of lemon juice soaked cloth... I will try that next time.. I’m afraid I used Viakal to shift it...not too keen on these sorts of products but it did have the required affect and with a soaking scrubbing with toothbrush.... not the one I’m using for my own teeth ...😂😂 and it did come off...
I have a vision of you in your ‘work clothes’.... they sound very posh all matching! Good job no one can see me as I usually look a proper scruff.... but I always put make up on... eye shadow, mascara and eyebrow pencil... just makes me feel a bit normal and I can then bear to look in the mirror!

Have a good day one and all...

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 24 October 20 11:04 BST (UK) »
Look in the mirror !!!
No use - I am not there any more ,instead there is a little old lady looking back at me .
No idea who she is or when I went and  she came!
That beautiful young girl , ( ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D)
And it is only about sixty years since too .
No honestly , I have changed radically.
Strange to hardly recognise yourself .
It must be awful for truly beautiful women ,to see the ravages of time ,but then they try too hard sometimes and look ridiculous.
So ordinary people like myself   don’t have so much to lose when age sneaks up on us.We cope better with looking like a prune .
Cheerio.Viktoria.