Author Topic: MOORE in Longfield West  (Read 2127 times)

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
Re: MOORE in Longfield West
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 09:34 GMT (UK) »

My grandfather was Samuel Moore of Ednashanlaght........

Death of Samuel Moore in 1910 at Ednashanlaght. The informant was his son Samuel Moore.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1910/05428/4517291.pdf

1911 census with Mary Moore as head of family.
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Tyrone/Bomackatall/Ednashanlaght/852584/

Death of Mary Moore in 1921. Maggie Moore, her daughter-in-law was the informant.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1921/05104/4402407.pdf

KG
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline bmoore

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 December 20 06:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for keeping the MOORE thread running................!
I have not been able to find a link from my James MOORE in Drumrawn (east of Drumquin) to the William MOORE in Drumnaforbe nearby.
DNA links me /James MOORE to William MOORE (& Sarah DAVIS) in House 2 Bomackatall in 1901 & 1911.
I think ALL the MOORE families in Ednashanlaght are related. When you draw up the townland in
 c 1860 Griffiths - James & Hugh GORMLEY farm the eastern half & John, Samuel, Jane, John, Andrew, Hugh  MOORE farm the western part. This backs onto land farmed by Charles, James & Samuel MOORE in Meencargagh townland.
These families & descendants found in 1901 & 1911 in Ednashanlaght, Bomackatall, Kirlish townlands.

If you look at the Pension Application records on Find My Past there are the following - who I think they descended from!
1841 - Andrew MOORE & Catherine SPROULE - married 1828 - children - John b 1830, Robert b 1833, Mary Jane b 1840; f-i-l John SPROULE b 1757 (Kilmore/Meencargagh). [Catherine MOORE in Tullyard townland in Griffiths].

1841 - Jn (Jane?) MOORE b 1797; husband Andrew (absent) b 1797, Christianne (absent) b 1817, James b1819, Elizabeth b 1825, William b 1820 (Meencargagh/Ednashanlaght)

1851 -Jane's family - James, John, William, Samuel, Andrew, Robert, Elizabeth, Margaret, Kitty

1841 - 51 - Samuel MOORE (Meencargagh) parents Samuel MOORE & Isabelle HAMILTON

1841/51 - Andrew MOORE - parents Hugh & Eliza MOORE (Ednashanlaght)

In Tithe Applotments 1837 as well as (my?) James MOORE in Drumrawn there are William MOOREs in Carony & Drumnaforbe.
in 1826 William MOORE & partners in Ednashanlaght.

Will we ever sort them out!?
Barbara

Offline rossderg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 10 December 20 00:28 GMT (UK) »
The connections are certainly hard to identify with any certainty. However, I agree that the Moores of Ednashanlaght are definitely closely related - with the exception of Hugh. I say this partly because his acreage was much smaller than Andrew, Samuel and John, and partly because we don't find the presence of any of the others as witnesses in marriages of his children.

It would seem that Jane was mother to James, John, William, Samuel, Andrew, and Robert, and if it is she who died age 90 in 1865, she is just about old enough to be the mother of all of these - although we don't know year of birth of William or Robert or Samuel (both the latter of Meencargagh), and I suspect that at least the first two of these were born before 1800.  Unfortunately I have  not been able to trace any of the three daughters, though have a strong suspicion that Elizabeth married Samuel McFarland of Aghasessy (on evidence from a census search form).

I haven't found any direct relationships between the Ednashanlaght Moores and yours. However, I did find that Cassie Scott (a daughter of Samuel Moore, my great-grandfather) was a witness at the marriage of Sarah Moore (daughter of William Moore and Sarah Davis) and James Johnstone. This is not too surprising, as Catherine Scott married William Scott of Tullyard, a townland adjoining Bomacatall and Kirlish where Sarah and James lived.

I think the only way to get some more insight is by inspecting land records showing actual transfers of land, along with named individuals, but I am not hopeful of finding these. Regrettably, names of wives don't appear in such transactions, so their genealogical value would be rather limited.

Offline MK2900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 14:59 BST (UK) »
I am new to this chat, but hopefully with some helpful info. I have been tracking two families in Longfield West and Ardstraw parish next door, the Moore’s and the McKone/McKeon/McKown family. My link is through the marriage of John McKone to Isabella Moore, with fathers John and Robert respectively n the 1st Castlederg Presbyterian Church, 1853. They emigrated to Canada ca 1855, but I have great interest in their Irish roots. The marriage record centres them in the townlands of Meencargagh, next to Ednashanlaght, in Longfield West, and Coolnaherin across the Fairy Water in Ardstraw.

There are a number of Moore baptism records in the 1st Castlederg Presbyterian parish that have been transcribed and put on this site: https://cotyrone.com/births/1stCastledergBaptisms1823-1883.html

They include James Moore with a Roseann McKown with 3 children baptismal dates, and interesting notes about them going to Australia. Roseann was also known as Fanny. Go to the actual pictures in the book and you will see these notations.

There are a number of other Moore’s in there, including John, Hugh, Andrew and Samuel. Many are from Ednashanlaght, as already discussed in this chat.

There at least 3 marriages between these two families, Moores marrying various spellings of McKeon, and maybe more as they they often did not list the maiden name of the bride.

A bit later, 1878, are elders of this church listed: List of seatholders in the 1st Castlederg Presbyterian Church 1878/79.
From the Book "A short History of 1st Castlederg, Presbyterian Church by
R.S.K.Neill, 1993 printed by The Tyrone Constitution.

Robert MOORE
Hugh MOORE
Mrs John M'KEOWN
R. M'KEOWN (Meencaragh)
Samuel Moore Sr
Samuel M'KEOWN
Samuel MOORE Jr
Andrew MOORE
Charles MOORE

For me, at least, “home base” for the two families seems to be these townlands of Meencargagh, Ednashanlaght and Coolnaherin, (and, for Moore, perhaps also other Ardstraw townlands nearby, like Drumclamph, Archill, Cavandoragh, Letterbin, and even Kilstrule) where there were Moor or Moore entries in the Tithe records as well as Griffith’s. In fact, going back further, there is even a William Moor listed in the Hearth Tax records from 1666 in Kilstrule, which can be found on the County Tyrone website.

My guess is both of my two families, Moore and McKeon, were Plantation settlers, coming from Scotland and/or northern England originally., possibly as early as the 1600’s, but many came in the early 1700’s as well. This area looks to be part of the original plantation areas of Omagh and/or Strabane.

I have not been able to construct the exact family tree, but there are some helpful hints in this thread, and I thank you. The Tithe records for Longfield/Langfield West are from 1826, and there appears a “William Moor and Partners” in Ednashanlaght. He, and or brothers, appear to be a patriarch of sorts. The McKown/McKeon/McKone side is possibly of interest only to me, so I will leave that out. There are several listed for Meencargagh n the Tithe records.

Even more confusing can be the Presbyterian versus Methodist religions among these two families. In my case, all the emigrants to Canada opted for Methodist, and appear in censuses there from the get go as Methodist. Some of the Irish census from the early 1900’s shows some as Methodist, but most as Presbyterian. There are some pretty Methodist churches nearby, ne in Lisleen, and another near Castlederg. Apparently, Methodist and Presbyterian marriages were not uncommon, and the couple might visit both churches on their wedding day.

Barbara, I hope this doesn’t mess you up any more than the already confusing, but super-interesting posts that you all have contributed.

Offline MK2900

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 26 July 23 15:15 BST (UK) »
I meant to add, I’m very much interested in any and all feedback n my post! Thank you.