Author Topic: Owen McGirr born 1840 Tyrone  (Read 974 times)

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Owen McGirr born 1840 Tyrone
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 25 October 20 12:26 GMT (UK) »
Seems we've come to the same conclusion!
So your facts about Owen being in Ireland seem to be the truth of the matter.
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 25 October 20 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I strongly suspect that the Owen McGirr in Illinois is NOT the father of Joseph and Anna that did go to America. It's quite possible that someone was very sloppy in their research and attached the Illinois Owen to their tree without checking further. Never trust an online tree  ::)

Will do a bit more searching but do I understand correctly that you can't find a connection (except perhaps via DNA results) to Owen McGirr or his wife Jane? How close is this DNA match?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 20 12:41 GMT (UK) »
Yes, you are correct in that I'm trying to find a connection to the DNA match which according to Ancestry is 58 cM across 5 segments which seems high to me unless they've done it wrong, they say 4-6th cousin and there is another one that has much less at 11 cM in 1 segment who is the niece of the other one.
I've very few Irish ancestors but a lot of Scottish and wondered if they originally migrated from Scotland to Ireland?
Cr
Rosser, Henderson, Chapman, Clarkson, Harper, Healey, Horth, Page, Bowers, Ritchie, Sheen, Smith and Weymark.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 October 20 21:03 GMT (UK) »
Although on Joseph's death certificate 27/3/1927 his parents are recorded as Owen McGirr and Jane Donnelly (did he forget his mother's maiden name?)
Remember that Joseph didn't give the information & the informant might not have gotten details correctly, especially since Joseph's family were back in Ireland.

Here's baptism for Joseph (born & bapt. March 1858 not 1860)- 1st entry on page:
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632817#page/13/mode/1up
Latin names were used as was the custom (Eugenius for Owen, Joanna for Jane, etc.)

Johannes (John) 1860- 2nd from bottom- mother Jane McQuillan (just a different version of her maiden name)
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000632817#page/33/mode/1up

Could be others before and after those dates and you might even find marriage of Owen & Jane in marriage register!

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much aghadowey. I had a look through the records and it has made my eyes water especially having to translate Latin but couldn't find the marriage. Could they have married elsewhere?
Cr

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 October 20 16:44 GMT (UK) »
Marriages usually take place in the bride's church (or where she was living) so use the parish register site to check neighbouring parishes.

I thought the baptisms were quite easy to read- I just went down the surname column carefully and found McGirr/McGinn.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 10:29 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I was aware of that and wondered why I couldn't find a baptism for Jane so guessed she must have been born elsewhere. Understanding Ireland better than me which parishes would you consider?
Tis a pity that my Dna matches didn't do more research.
Cr

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Just go to the Parish Register site map, click on Tyrone then zoom into Clogher Parish a bit- you'll see surrounding parishes.

Offline Cockneyrebel

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 12:08 GMT (UK) »
I found a death record for Owen McGirr 28 Feb 1883 informant widow Jane, it says he was about 60 so birth would be c 1823. Jane's death in 1903 says she was 65 so birth would be c1838?
Could it be that Jane was his 2nd wife?
Owen doesn't seem to be a typically Irish name -sounds more like Welsh?
Cr