Author Topic: Member C-side  (Read 2029 times)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Member C-side
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 24 October 20 15:17 BST (UK) »
Oh no, that's awful news. Christine was a great help to me in my search for my Northumberland family.

Thank you for letting us know Sarah.  :(

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 24 October 20 17:23 BST (UK) »
I'm sure Christine wouldn't mind me telling this little story, and it shows her nice sense of humour.

Several years ago she very kindly did some look ups for me relating to a relative who had worked at the war-time emergency hospital in Hexham. She spent quite a lot of time finding the information I wanted, and she couldn't resist passing on this little gem which she found whilst trawling through the papers.

' ...the manure delivered in error to the hospital had been intended for Mr. J H Wardle, Planetrees, Wall, Hexham.  Mr. Wardle had written to state that the hospital was welcome to the manure free under the circumstances.'

So thanks again Christine for bringing a big smile to my face with this  :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 25 October 20 06:53 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to hear about Christine's passing.  We met at Woodhorn twice and that was a big deal since I am from across the pond.  She has looked things up for me too.  She will be missed by all.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 25 October 20 06:56 GMT (UK) »
A local newspaper reports that Christine died on Wednesday, 14 October 2020.  Her funeral attended by family only, in line with current covid restrictions, will be held on the 28th.  Family flowers only and any donations to be sent to the groups that Christine worked closely with: Blyth Battery, Blyth Local History Society, Blyth Food Bank or Cancer Research.

https://www.blythbattery.org.uk

I am sure we will all be keeping Christine and her family in our thoughts and prayers during this very sad time.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline TriciaK

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 26 October 20 11:29 GMT (UK) »
Very sad news indeed - we had a few exchanges on the forum and by pm. I also come from Blyth, she was younger than me and I thought she might have known my younger sister.
I loved her avatar - her children and grandchildren will miss her so much. (and her husband).
Sending them condolences if they're reading this thread.
Knott - Northumberland; Yorkshire (?Bridlington.)
Fenwick, Johnston - Northumberland.
Dixon; Hutchinson - York.
Shaw - ? Glasgow

Online Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 26 October 20 11:41 GMT (UK) »
I was just looking at her avatar on the posts she particularly helped me with. Really wonderful help with look ups at Woodhorn. Bless her.

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 26 October 20 14:15 GMT (UK) »
I'm very shocked and saddened to hear this news. 

I never met Christine but completely agree that she was an unsung hero, helping so many people with look-ups, including me.

She will be sadly missed.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline belfordian

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 26 October 20 20:00 GMT (UK) »
I also had help from Christine and noticed how frequently she kept popping up re various posts. Very sorry to hear this.
GLASS (Northumberland, Fife, Roxburghshire)
DOCKWREY (South Shields)
REDPATH (Northumberland, Oklahoma)
SOUTHERN, SUTHREN, SITHERN (North Northumberland)
DARLING (Carham)

Offline Gen List Lass

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Jane ANDERSON nee DODD, 2 x g grandmother.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 03 November 20 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I am pleased to see Christine's contributions to local history and genealogy have been recognised here. Whenever I asked her what she was doing, it was lookups for people all over the world, hardly ever her own family history.

I saw her every Wednesday at Woodhorn and she was part of our Lunch Group in the cafe there. Until Lockdown, the Woodhorn regulars met for lunch Wed and Sat every week. After March, several of us carried on the tradition by Zoom and Messenger.  Christine was with us on Zoom until only a few weeks ago. My last memory of Christine was of her chatting to us from her sitting room, trying to quietly eat crisps washed down with a big mug of tea.

R.I.P. Christine, you are missed by many friends here, the Blyth Battery, local history societies and at Woodhorn.

Gen in NBL England
UK - Northumberland, County Durham: ANDERSON,   DODD(S), EDWARDS, ELLIOTT/ELLET, FENWICK, GREY/GRAY, HINDMARCH and variants, JORDAN, MOORE, MURRAY, RIPPON, RODDHAM, RYDER-TURNER, SPARK(E)(S), STEWART, TILLEY, TIPLADY, WATSON,
Sheffield: TURNER
Middlesex: RYDER
<br />Aberdeenshire: EDWARDS, BRODIE<br />Angus STEWART, DIXON, PETRIE