Author Topic: Shropshire Asylum records available?  (Read 358 times)

Offline msr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Shropshire Asylum records available?
« on: Saturday 24 October 20 14:22 BST (UK) »
Found my way here today via a search for Shropshire Asylum, as just discovered that a 2 cousin x2 was admitted and discharged early in 1908. 

Hadn't been able to understand why she was still in her home county until her death in 1965, when husband and children were in his home county of Durham, certainly from 1901, and for the rest of their lives.  Would love to know the story, but of course very likely never to.

Having searched around, I see that Shropshire Archives may be of help, but does anyone know if
1) you can apply for a readers ticket if not in the county
2) can copies of documents be purchased, and emailed, or are they only viewable at the Archives?

Thanks for reading
Susan

Offline JGDavies

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Shropshire Asylum records available?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 October 20 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I obtained a Shropshire Archives reader card in 2019 and have used it online to obtain information without living in Shropshire. I did visit to search through a box of papers  the contents of which I found indexed a in the catalog online but I cannot remember if I had to visit to see the contents because I do pass Shrewsbury occasionally. I do remember ordering them prior to my visit so that they were ready and waiting for me behind the counter to have a look at. Hope this helps.

Hughes - Llangedwyn, Llanfechain, Llanrhaiadr, Llansilin
Roberts - Llandisilio, Montgomeryshire
Davis - Caterham, Surrey
Mitchell - Windygates, Fife
Hayes - Radcliffe
Edwards - Llanyblodwell