Author Topic: Victor Ernest Webb - b.1928 - Woolwich - Royal Navy  (Read 599 times)

Offline adh1965

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Victor Ernest Webb - b.1928 - Woolwich - Royal Navy
« on: Saturday 24 October 20 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi, can anyone help me. I need a look up on electoral registers for Victor Ernest Webb, He is my partners grandfather.

From 1949 up until 1963 I have found on ancestry that he was a service voter. we believe he got a long service award in the Royal Navy in 1962. He served on HMS Centaur, his RN Number was P/MX776524 and was a Petty Officer Air Fitter.

He died at Guys Hospital in 1994 and his address at the time was 37 East Mascalls SE7

I would be interested in any look ups for him, especially at that address during the 1990s

Any other look ups would be of great help

thank you
Alan

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Victor Ernest Webb - b.1928 - Woolwich - Royal Navy
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 20 16:51 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Electoral registers for that period are not online.  To look up an entry at the records office you have to have an address and the only one known at the moment is the one in 1994.

ER's give the names of others at that address - but not ages - so we would have no way of knowing if any other residents are still alive and as Rootschat has a no living persons policy we would not be able to give their names.

Is there any particular reason why you want an ER lookup? 

He can be found on the 1939 register with his parents and siblings living in Greenwich but that is going backwards - not forwards

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline adh1965

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 20 19:49 BST (UK) »
We are aware that he remarried, and had two other children which we know there names, but are unsure if his wifes name is correct, as we cannot find there marriage. It would have been interesting to see how long he had been living at the address given.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 20 20:23 BST (UK) »
It would need a visit to the records office to get that info.  Did she report his death?  If so - her name will be on the death cert.

He doesn't appear to have left a will which may have helped.

As you know the children's names, you could look up their births to find their mothers maiden name.  However, she may have been previously married in which case you would encounter the following situation.

Mary Smith marries Joe Bloggs
Joe Bloggs dies
Mary Bloggs marries Victor Webb
Children born to the Webb marriage would have mothers maiden name as Smith - not Bloggs
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 20 20:35 BST (UK) »
Have a look at the 1965 marriage in Woolwich found here - www.freebmd.org.uk

Using the same website - look for Webb births with that maiden name to see if they match what you know

Offline Jamjar

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scottish GGGrandmother-Grace MORRISON née JARDINE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 October 20 23:25 BST (UK) »
WEBB, VICTOR  ERNEST  1928 
GRO Reference:  DOR  Q2/1994 in Southwark  (2511B)  Reg B6A  Entry Number 131

Jamjar
Atkinson; Badier; Cameron; Grant; Howie; Jardine; Jenkins; Kerr; Lawardorn; Lee; Linton; Lonie; McConnell; Morgan; Morrison; Murphy; O'Leary; Paton; Pratt; Robb; Williams

Offline Chris Doran

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I can't find a road or building called East Macalls in SE7. There is a Mascalls Road, SE7 7DZ, but it only goes to No 31 in 1992-2000 ERs and there are no Webbs at any number. No Ernest or Victor Webbs at any similar address in London.

If Alan will PM me with the children's names, I'll try them.
Researching Penge, Anerley, (incuding the Crystal Palace) and neighbouring parts of Beckenham, currently in London (Bromley), formerly Surrey and/or Kent.