Author Topic: Military records  (Read 731 times)

Offline Lisa_Dee1969

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Military records
« on: Saturday 24 October 20 17:26 BST (UK) »
Hello not sure if I'm in the correct place?  Im trying to research my Grandfather x3 and 4 in India 1800s where would I be best to look for their service numbers etc, cant find much on FindMyPast and Ancestry? I was going to subscribe to a certain war/ forces website but the reviews weren't that good, so decided against it.

Be so grateful for any help.
Alfred Rogers 1863

Offline steve100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Military records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 October 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
If you put his details up, someone may be able to help your search.
Census Information Crown

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 October 20 17:31 BST (UK) »
It's complicated. Many soldiers in India pre 1857 were in the East India Company's army, not in the British Army. Some records are online in FamilySearch, some on the FIBIS website. Also see the British Library website, which holds the EIC's records.
For British Army records, guidance can be found on the National Archives website - this link might be a good start - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/british-army-soldiers-up-to-1913/
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Lisa_Dee1969

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 October 20 23:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Its a John Rogers born around 1830 married to Jane Anne Keily he died around 1870 suicide I believe, gun shot wound, his son is Alfred Rogers 1863-1932

I really struggle with the National Archives, I never seem to find anything of anyone, maybe Im doing something wrong?
Alfred Rogers 1863

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 October 20 23:34 BST (UK) »
Previous thread with much more information: https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=748162
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lisa_Dee1969

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 October 20 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Blimey, Id forgotten all this.....Thank you so much, ive had a break and deleted the tree then started again and its taking me to the same places. Im so happy now :)
Alfred Rogers 1863