Author Topic: Margaret Barr and Ellen Barr from Donegal  (Read 2668 times)

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
  • Quinn of Convoy and related families
    • View Profile
Margaret Barr and Ellen Barr from Donegal
« on: Sunday 25 October 20 17:08 GMT (UK) »
Margaret Barr b. 1883 and Ellen Barr b. 1885 were born in Bauville, Buncrana, County Donegal.
Their parents were William Barr and Mary McGlynn.
The emigrated to Scotland most likely Glasgow like their sister Ena (whom I have information on).
I have no further information on Margaret and Ellen and would appreciate it if anyone could help.
Quinn (Donegal); McLaughlin, Doherty (Big Hill, Corney, Dubh, Lenan, Meenkeragh, Mor, Ownes, Roe, Druminderry.), Barr, Granny  (Buncrana);  Bonar (Convoy); McGlynn (Burnfoot); McFadden (St Johnston); Hamilton (Raphoe); Houston (Meenbane, Donegal); Eames (Kinlough, Leitrim); Murray and Henry (Westport, Mayo); Hasson (Derry); Eames (Leitrim); Farrell (Lanesboro) Scally (Gallagh, Roscommon); Casserly (Garranstown, Roscommon): Brennan and Hyland (Rathcline, Longford); Hopkins (Cashel, Longford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Margaret Barr and Ellen Barr from Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 October 20 17:58 GMT (UK) »
What's the last record you have for the sisters in Ireland? the 1901 and 1911 Irish (free) & Scottish (Scotland's people/ Ancestry transcription 1901 only) census records are both available.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 October 20 19:57 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked for marriages/deaths for them on Scotlands People?  Neither are found on the 1901 Scottish census

When did Ena leave Ireland?

www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 October 20 20:00 GMT (UK) »
Family entry for 1901 in Donegal is here www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000667514/

No sign of Ellen in the household. Could she have died young? There is this death entry. Can't say if it is her https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1885/06280/4799420.pdf  Do you know the name of William Barr's mother?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 October 20 20:07 GMT (UK) »
There is a Hannah showing in 1911 around the same age as Ellen would have been?

www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai002083215/

Have you checked first for possible marriages in Ireland? www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

Monica

Added: Other family researchers have Hannah as born on 13 December 1886 in Bauvile, marrying a Con McLaughlin.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 October 20 12:55 GMT (UK) »
Ireland Census 1901
In the 1901 Census Both Ena and Margaret (Maggie) are still at home in Bauville, and Ellen is nearby in Gransha with her Aunt Fanny.
The house they lived in was only one room.

So all three were in Donegal at that time.
Quinn (Donegal); McLaughlin, Doherty (Big Hill, Corney, Dubh, Lenan, Meenkeragh, Mor, Ownes, Roe, Druminderry.), Barr, Granny  (Buncrana);  Bonar (Convoy); McGlynn (Burnfoot); McFadden (St Johnston); Hamilton (Raphoe); Houston (Meenbane, Donegal); Eames (Kinlough, Leitrim); Murray and Henry (Westport, Mayo); Hasson (Derry); Eames (Leitrim); Farrell (Lanesboro) Scally (Gallagh, Roscommon); Casserly (Garranstown, Roscommon): Brennan and Hyland (Rathcline, Longford); Hopkins (Cashel, Longford

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 20 15:34 GMT (UK) »
It's easier if you post links to details you've already found or even give us all details at the start. Since you've found the sisters in 1901 it's really from that point forward you are looking for information.

For reference-

Household of William Barr with daughters Enna & Maggie-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Buncranna/Banville_Keelogs_and_Clonglash/1181199/
Ellen- http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Donegal/Buncranna/Gransha/1181225/

A Margaret Barr in 1911- age is slightly out but employer would have filled out the form-
http://census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Londonderry/Londonderry_Urban__1_/Asylum_Road/600778/

Ellen (born 2 Mar.1885)
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1885/02658/1979921.pdf
Can't see marriage for Ellen in Inishowen district.

Margaret (born 11 July 1883)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1883/02724/2002033.pdf

Hannagh (born 13 Dec.1886)-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1887/02571/1950591.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Magh Itha

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 November 20 16:00 GMT (UK) »
Maggie Barr in 1911 Scotland Census

In the 1911 Census for Scotland Maggie Barr was at 23 Balgraybank Street, Springburn, Glasgow.
She was staying with her sister Ena her family and parents-in-law.
A granddaughter of Ena sent me information and I do not have a link.

Offline Teech1954

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 04 January 21 18:59 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for my grandmother who was part of the same family.
Her name was Eileen Barr.
Her father was William Barr and mother Mary McGlynn.
She married my grandfather John MacDiarmid who lived in Dun Dhu in Aberfoyle Perthshire where he was a gardener on one of the estates there.
I am trying to find out more about Eileen Barr.
She was born in Boncrana on 29/3/1890 and died in Glasgow on the 7/6/1929. She worked as a laundrey maid in Torryburn, Fifeshire and appears on the 1911 census and married on Christmas day 1913 in Market Drayton in Shropshire England.
Her youngest daughter Eileen MacDiarmid married my father Hugh McCann.