Author Topic: A question of Birch's  (Read 1351 times)

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
  • Photo is 2020 me. Got fed up with my old silly one
    • View Profile
A question of Birch's
« on: Sunday 25 October 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi all. I was looking to see where my relative Henry Fouldes (often Foulds on early records) was in 1861. I have him, age 10, at home with parents John and Mary in 1841. I then found a Henry Foulds, with his widowed Grandmother in Southwell, Elizabeth Birch, in 1861 census. Elizabeth is 84 so she would have been born around 1777.

Henry's mother had been a Mary Foulds (nee Birch - 1806ish to 1843).

I wanted to see how the relationship came about.  So I found an Elizabeth Birch on the 1841 census. She was 60 and lived on Water Lane, Oxton, with husband Joseph Birch (65) and daughter Sarah Birch (25).

I went back a bit more and I found a marriage on 6 July 1806 in Melbourne Derbyshire. A Joseph Birch married an Elizabeth Tarpe/Earpe (name is unclear).  To me that looks pretty good but I am trying to find their daughter Mary.  Can anyone help?

I did find a christening for a Mary Birch which was also in Melbourne, Derbyshire. The date was 11/10/1807 which would be around the right year. The mother comes up as Elizabeth but the father is listed as John not Joseph?

I looked through some other targets but couldn't come up with anything.  Can anyone help shine some light? Maybe you can find a christening record for me and I have seen the wrong ones!

Very grateful!  Thank you!

MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: A question of Birch's
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 October 20 02:33 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility is Elizabeth and Richard BIRCH (blacksmith).

They are in Oxton in 1851, seems like a similar location as Elizabeth in 1861:
Richard BIRCH     76   Newton, Linconshire  (retired blacksmith)
Elizabeth BIRCH  76   Oxton
H0107/2134 pg 2

And in 1841 at Oxton:
Richard BIRCH    60   blacksmith
Elizabeth BIRCH  60
Rebecca BIRCH  20
H0107/866/23 pg16

Will look to see if I can find marriage and baptisms of children  :)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 October 20 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Possibility:

Richard BIRCH married Elizabeth STEVENSON in 1794 at Oxton
I can quickly see these baptisms at Oxton:
8 July 1798   Samuel
15 Jun 1802  Joanna
7 Jan 1805 Mary
5 Sept 1813  Sarah
23 March 1817 Rebecca

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 October 20 03:01 GMT (UK) »
"At Oxton, on the 25th ult., aged 83, Mr. Richard Birch, blacksmith."

Stamford Mercury, Friday,  Feb. 5, 1858

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 October 20 08:02 GMT (UK) »
Another possibility is Elizabeth and Richard BIRCH (blacksmith).

They are in Oxton in 1851, seems like a similar location as Elizabeth in 1861:
Richard BIRCH     76   Newton, Linconshire  (retired blacksmith)
Elizabeth BIRCH  76   Oxton
H0107/2134 pg 2

And in 1841 at Oxton:
Richard BIRCH    60   blacksmith
Elizabeth BIRCH  60
Rebecca BIRCH  20
H0107/866/23 pg16

Will look to see if I can find marriage and baptisms of children  :)

That looks better! As I say I found her with grandson, Henry Fouldes, aged 84 in Oxton/Southwell in 1861. She was a widow. The 1851 details look good. Her age should be 2 years younger but we can't trust these fully, can we?! The 1841 census looks fine too.

The marriage and baptism dates are useful! In fact it hits MY Mary a lot better!!  Thank you so much for that! So much more fun stuff - I wasn't even exploring that family either! A fun sideline! ;D

Oh, what was the last thing you posted?  Was it a death notice for Richard? The date and age would make sense but what, do you think, is "ult"!?

Thanks again
MJ
Fouldes.<br />Any area where our family are.  My branch started around Derbyshire, Nott's and Yorkshire.  We ended up in South Lincolnshire!  So yay!  Course any area with Fouldes in would help!  See my family tree below for what gaps I have!  Cheers!

Would also like to see any Beaumont's from Sheffield as I have lots of family photos & can't identify them!!

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 07:39 GMT (UK) »
No worries, glad to help!

Yes, the last post is a death notice for Richard. "ult." is a typical abbreviation for ultimo (I think) and means the month previous. So he died 25th January 1858 as the notice was published 5th Feb 1858.  ;) "inst." is another abbreviation often used - means the current month.

Offline emjayf

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 08:25 GMT (UK) »
No worries, glad to help!

Yes, the last post is a death notice for Richard. "ult." is a typical abbreviation for ultimo (I think) and means the month previous. So he died 25th January 1858 as the notice was published 5th Feb 1858.  ;) "inst." is another abbreviation often used - means the current month.

Thank you. That is useful. Going back to Henry Foulds I am having trouble finding him on a couple of the censuses.

So I have a Christening note for him saying 17 July 1831. His father was also John Fouldes/Foulds and his mother was Mary (nee Birch) who died when he was around 12.

I have a copy of his census for 1841

On the 1851 census he is at Principal Street, Farnsfield Street, Notts
Henry Foulds (age 19)

In 1861 he is at Southwell, Oxton - not sure of the place.
Henry Fouldes (age 29) cordwainer
Elizabeth Birch (Grandmother almswoman age 84). This shows that Birch connection.

I think, from what I see on the Free BMD website, he got married around June 1866 to Elizabeth Tipping.
Yet I cannot find him on the 1871 census - can you see him and his wife?

I found him on 1881 in Joiner Street, Sheffield. Henry Fouldes (age 49) Labourer in steel works. But where is Elizabeth?  Cannot find her at all and I know she is not dead as...

...on the 1891 they are at 10 Andrew Street, 3 Court, Sheffield
Henry Fouldes (age 59 Steel Warehouse Labourer)
Elizabeth Fouldes (age 71 born in Liverpool)

I think he died around December 1899, I guess around Sheffield  aged 68. Would need to prove that.

If you can help with those couple of gaps would be helpful!

Thanks again!
MJ

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 08:37 GMT (UK) »
FreeREG has the Bapts of Richard/Elizabeth as posted by maddys52, extra children are;
ELIZTH 25 Sep 1795 (listed as Ri/Elizth)
ANN 24 Jan 1808

JOANNA was buried 19 Apr 1818 age 16
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 08:51 GMT (UK) »

I think, from what I see on the Free BMD website, he got married around June 1866 to Elizabeth Tipping.

Yes, 6th May 1866 at St John the Baptist, Penistone (after banns). Henry FOULDES, 34, bachelor (workhouse porter) married Elizabeth TIPPING, 38, widow. Both residing at Thurlstone, His father: John FOULDES, wheelwright (as in the 1841 census) and her father: Christopher VARLOW, engineer. Witnesses: ? TRAVIS and Nathan TAYLOR