Author Topic: Diary > Sunday 25th October  (Read 542 times)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
Diary > Sunday 25th October
« on: Monday 26 October 20 00:02 GMT (UK) »
Looks like I'm here first so here goes:

A bright and sunny day, the clock said that I'd woken earlier but of course it went back an hour during night. Got up and washed my hair and showered before getting a cup of tea, unusual for me.

Went for a walk when my hair was dry, it was very windy out. The field and paths were a bit muddy again after all the rain yesterday. Back home, was hungry so had lunch early, my body didn't know what time it was. After reading the posts on Rootschat about weight gain and loss I weighed myself, it's not often I do so but I have been feeling for some time like I've lost weight. Turns out I'm nearly half a stone lighter than I was before lockdown, must be due to all the walking. I don't actually want to be lighter so had two eggs for lunch, extra protein to build some muscle.

Tried on my Matalan purchases, I really like the hoodie, the sweatshirts are fine for the price and the jumper is nice. All  casual wear seeing as I don't go anywhere to get dressed up. Reset the clocks that don't reset themselves, I have to check the manuals for the oven and microwave every time.

Did some more work to my painting, photographed it in a different room, the kitchen is very bright and has shadows cast by the garden, the colours are distorted by these things. Then did a little bit of work in the garden but it was too windy, I wasn't into it.

Well of course it started getting dark earlier, my spirits were sinking with the sun. Roasted a piece of chicken breast with potatoes, carrots and sweet potatoes, did some cauli and broccoli,  Yorkshires from the freezer. Sunday dinner!

Put the TV on earlier than usual,  watched a programme I'd recorded ages ago about forensic science in criminal convictions.

Will have to get used to the dark nights, will only get better after Christmas.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Sunday 25th October
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 October 20 00:42 GMT (UK) »
It’s hard to get your head round the new timing ..... weight wise I lost half a stone but have put on a few lb’s over last few weeks... not doing enough yogalates and all these b’day celebrations haven’t helped!... still under 9st though...
Glad you were pleased with your new purchases... not bought any clothes since February when I bought some nice things for the summer.... several unworn...

Woke up early/ late who knows... blessed clocks... OH brought me a cuppa in bed 😱😱think he must have fallen out of bed on his head!...after we’d had breakfast it was still early... going to be a long day..the weather was nice and sunny so after I’d had a shower I wandered up the village to deliver the lottery winnings...
When we felt hungry for lunch it was still only 11.30! So waited.... I read the papers and OH did some jigsaw...
My two parcels from A........ arrived... left to isolate...
After lunch we decided to go out in the garden as it was too nice to stay indoors and quite warm...  lawns all got mowed and we cleaned up all the leaves filling three of those large builders bags that sand gets delivered in... sadly still lots to come down ...
OH went off to local skip after a cuppa and I made some cinnamon and ginger biscuits that tomorrow I’ll dip half in chocolate...that’s half the biscuit not half of ones I baked...
Decided to get dinner ready made dauphinois potatoes ready to go in the oven later... it was only 5pm but if it had been yesterday it would be time for a glass of wine but too early 😢...
Did some sewing for an hour then cooked dinner, minted lamb chump chops ( marinated by the butchers)with mushrooms , dauphinois pots, green vegs and carrots...
watched some tv... all out of sorts with the times today and hated drawing curtains and turning lights on so early...
Shopping day tomorrow so came to bed early but read  RC and news so not an early night now!...
Has a message from a post I’d started some years ago from someone new saying they’d got lots of info on my grandfather, aunt and first husband.... they’d only posted the once so they need to do few more posts before messaging me.... wonder what they’ll have to say... not sure which grandfather is being referred to either.... the only aunt I know, my mother’s sister, was only married the once...  my dads sister on the other hand was married twice... if it’s that side of the family it would be great to know... so hope they reply soon... suspense is killing me...

Hope others have got to grips better with times today...
As the  last Sunday of October I’d have been busy in the village hall... as a committee we always serve a brunch which is a lovely way to see villagers, our organist comes and plays the piano, newspapers are read, coffee drunk, food eaten, we all running around serving and chatting and we raise money for a local charity.... sadly not this year... quite missed it today ... always enjoyable and come home late a/noon cream crackered!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 October 20 06:52 GMT (UK) »
It is awful how many functions some of us have missed since March isn't it Roobarb, I think very few of us have any occasion to get dressed up at present.
I counted 30 Morris dancing outings to September cancelled, and there are a few more coming before Christmas. No Tavistock for Pudsey, and no Santa shopping events in Newton Abbot I assume.  Also I shall have to officially postpone yet another of the speakers engaged to visit our over 50s Friends of the Library group.
Sunday I was awake at first light, and enjoyed the sunrise, which made for a long day, although I did get my allocation of daylight, just earlier than most people!
There was heavy rain just as we decided it was so nice we would go over to Dawlish, which we did anyway. Lots of people about, the cafes and restaurants were very full, but we didn't go in anywhere. Some tiny goslings no bigger than my fist in the incubator house, which has a large window, starting almost at ground level, so everyone can enjoy the cute little wonders.  I was looking for the black swan cygnets I had read about, and did see one adult asleep on a nest, but no little ones, unless that was them in the incubator room.  Difficult to know when they are so small, and not with parent birds.
It stayed dry while we were out. Returned for a late lunch, then, later took a walk along past the pier. The ships in the Bay were starting to light up. 5 cruisers, 2 naval ships and some tankers further out. A fantastic sight, but I assume they are all sheltering from an expected storm, so probably more rough weather coming in.
Fully dark by the time we returned to eat, (I hate the dark evenings too, and the lighter mornings will only be significant for a couple of weeks,) and then watched the first in a Danish series with sub titles. Can't say I enjoyed it, given the subject matter, but I am intrigued.
Hope everyone has a reasonable day.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 October 20 07:10 GMT (UK) »
Exciting news that you have had a contact re family history Caroline. I shall look forward to hearing about it, and shall keep my fingers crossed for you.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 October 20 09:50 GMT (UK) »
Mowsehowse
Have you seen the YouTube video of the black swans and their cygnets?

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline radstockjeff

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 October 20 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Church this morning. One service per month (last Sunday). First time playing since March.
Not very inspiring, sad to say and only two hymns to play-the other two were via youtube.

Home for lunch but as our cooker does not have a timer and we no longer have Nick to switch the cooker on, lunch was a litlle later than usual.

Afternoon spent doing some music- I found some sheet music for one of the youtube hymns from this morning and did a simple four part brass transcription.

Friends around for supper and chinwag- putting our respective churches to the sword (verbally). We are both Methodists but with different churches- we still go to the one in Bath where OH has been attending since she was 3 years old. I am a lapsed Anglican, drafted into the Methodist circle many years back. They attend the local one, which I think before long we may transfer to when travelling becomes a chore.
Nurse, Musther, Smith, Julnes, Rogers, Parsons,Grieves(Greaves,Greeves),Wood,Cray,Scrine,Shellard,Greenstock,

There's nothing wrong with being mediocre...as long as you're good at it!

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 26 October 20 10:23 GMT (UK) »
How sad your church isn't really giving much comfort Jeff..... and how much you both miss Nick in the smallest of ways, but I am glad you have met with friends, and hope that cheered you for a time.

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 26 October 20 10:34 GMT (UK) »
There is no singing in our church either, very frustrating, the organ plays and I want to sing, it might give a muffled effect but why can't we sing, we are well spaced out?

LM
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London