Author Topic: William Huck Poswick (lodge) Whitbourne 1577  (Read 1176 times)

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Rootschat and the Library of Wales..... Superb!
    • View Profile
William Huck Poswick (lodge) Whitbourne 1577
« on: Tuesday 27 October 20 04:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am researching a medieval house called Poswick Lodge, at Whitbourne, Herefordshire.

I found a reference to William Huck who was a tenant of Poswick (lodge) in a 1577 according to an excellent article by Phyllis Williams in the Woolhope Club Transactions Vol X1 1972 p 333.  According to this article the property remained with the Huck Family until it became part of a marriage settlement: "Susanna Huck the daughter of John and Elizabeth Huck and the Reverend Thomas Jennings" in 1764.
This indicates that the Huck Family owned the property for about 200 years, and were probably active in renovating and extending Poswick Lodge.
I would be very grateful of any further details regarding the Huck Family and their objectives in developing Poswick as a recreational "lodge" from its original function as a farm house.
The basic farmhouse was probably medieval, and probably predated the 1577 survey by about 100 years.

Many thanks,
and please take care!

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
Pugh, Powell, Williams, Maddox, Prosser

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William Huck Poswick (lodge) Whitbourne 1577
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 07:06 GMT (UK) »
Good Morning Llanfi

Great to hear your mentioning Phyllis Williams who was a neighbour a few years ago.   Do you have a copy of her book - Whitbourne - A Bishops Palace?? 

The book mentions that John Huck was a steward of the Manor of Whitbourne before 1494 and the family were a long resident and influential family in Whitbourne.   Poswick Lodge (also known as Upper Poswick) is listed as a medival house with several later additions.  The oldest part of the cruck construction dates from the early 15th century.  The house was extended about 1600 and again at the end of the century with the front wing added about 1700.   Most if not all all of the building was the work of the Huck family
Will see if there are any other mentions of the family  and Poswick Lodge

Have you contacted the Local History Society in Bromyard? https://bromyardhistorysociety.org.uk/

Kay

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Hello Kay99

Thank you for your kind reply.... The only sources I have at present is FindmyPast, the earliest Whitbourne record is for Guliemus Huck baptised 13 February 1591 father Guliemi Huck.... (Guliemus was "dog-latin' for William), and the Woolhope Club article that is on the Web.

I hadn't heard of her Book "Whitbourne - A  Bishops Manor"  but I have ordered it from Abe's Books. It will take a few days to get here in Vancouver. I will contact the Bromyard History Society, but I won't expect much because of the Covid Pandemic..
 If you do find anything else, especially about the construction of the "Lodge" part. I would be very grateful.

Best Regards

Llanfi  :) :) :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 09:44 GMT (UK) »
Hello Llanfi

I hope you enjoy the book.  Phylis is a prolfic writer about the area around Bromyard and her books include  - Bromyard - Minster, Manor and Town - The Three Stanfords and a Pocket Full of Hops which are sold by the Bromyard History Society https://bromyardhistorysociety.org.uk/publicatio

I hope the society can help you however I think that Phyllis probably included any relavent infomation she found in her book

Good luck and keep safe - Envy you living in Vancover - we have cousins on Vancover Island

Kay

Offline Llanfihangel

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 17:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks K99,
I hope things get better soon!
Llanfi :) :) :) :) :) :)