Author Topic: James Parker Trowbridge Wiltshire 1835 convict to Australia  (Read 971 times)

Offline k doyle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
James Parker Trowbridge Wiltshire 1835 convict to Australia
« on: Tuesday 27 October 20 08:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rootschat
Can anyone help me locate some information regarding James Parker born 1818,  (and his dad William Parker and mum)  from Trowbridge,  Wiltshire in 1835.
On the death of his mum in Trowbridge, seventeen year old James now apprenticed to Chimney sweep John Chislett, was working at the Angel Inn  (in Somertset I think).  A  robbery took place at the Angel Inn.  James Parker was found with three buttons and a bottle stopper in his pocket. Committed to Shepton Mallet gaol on 16th March 1835, and  tried at Wells Quarter sessions 23 March 1835. Found guilty and subsequently, via the county gaol on 26th March 1835, and on 14th April  1835 via the prison hulk Leviathan at Portsmouth, was on  8th June 1835, transported to Australia for life.
Later upon obtaining his ticket of leave, he was to become one of the founding fathers of Taree ,New South Wales.
I would like some help in finding out about his family members in Trowbridge. Also, how could I find any records of the charge sheet and his trial at Wells quarter sessions in March 1835?
Hope you can help
Ken Doyle

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James Parker Trowbridge Wiltshire 1835 convict to Australia
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 08:58 GMT (UK) »
This query is on both the Wiltshire and Somerset boards:

Duplicate posts removed

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 09:06 GMT (UK) »
Ancestry has the Ilchester prison record with a different charge.

Where did you find the name of his father, as the most obvious baptism at Trowbridge has a Father Robert, a shoemaker.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 10:29 GMT (UK) »
I can find two possibles born 1818, transported to NSW 1835 - 1836 .... one arrived per the Recovery,  the other per the England. 

I thought Taree was settled by Europeans back when John OXLEY was Surveyor General.  He died 1828.  I am happy to be corrected.

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline Brentor boy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
The Angel Inn, Upton Scudamore, Warminster, is a 16th century inn about 9 miles from Trowbridge. Could have been where he was working.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 14:07 GMT (UK) »
I can find two possibles born 1818, transported to NSW 1835 - 1836 .... one arrived per the Recovery,  the other per the England. 

Australian records having him arriving on the England, master Baron, and the offence was 'stealing a coat', received a conditional pardon in 1848.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
James Parker is on about 70 trees in Ancestry.

The death for him is quoted as 1889 age 66 (grave memorial stone), so some age manipulation going on if it is him.

Some of those trees have his father as Robert, and some as William Robert.

Record:
https://convictrecords.com.au/convicts/parker/james/31112

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 03:33 GMT (UK) »
11 December 1846, Rev William Parsons, Port Macquarie, notification of the NSW Governor's Permission to Marry for James PARKER to marry Catharine PERRY.  James was noted as aged 28, under a Life Sentence having arrived per the England in 1835  and holding a Ticket of leave.

The Ticket of Leave issued in 1843 (43/2625, 10 Nov 1843) shows him Prisoner No. 35/2138, and as tried Somerset Quarter Sessions 23 March 1835, arriving per the England and allowed to remain in the district of Port Macquarie. 

His Ticket of Leave replacing 43/2625 was 46/996 of 11 December 1846, allowing him to remain in the Service of Mr DEANE at New England.  It was issued at Port Macquarie. 

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 04:02 GMT (UK) »
His conditional pardon (48/1871, signed 1 October 1848)   includes, among other info that : his native place was Wiltshire, he was a Sweep, the offence was 'Stealing a Coat', tried Somersetshire 23 March 1835, Life sentence, born 1818, per England ...

JM