Author Topic: James Parker Trowbridge Wiltshire 1835 convict to Australia  (Read 972 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James Parker Trowbridge Wiltshire 1835 convict to Australia
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 04:19 GMT (UK) »
I would like some help in finding out about his family members in Trowbridge. Also, how could I find any records of the charge sheet and his trial at Wells quarter sessions in March 1835?
Hope you can help
Ken Doyle

https://www.familysearch.org/wiki/en/England_Court_Records    ...  here's a part of a paragraph from that link...  I had understood that Quarter Sessions were Summary Courts, so Judge only, no jury... but now I am wondering- anyway, I hope this is a helpful start towards finding if there's court records of the  trial ...

A list of available records is in:

Gibson, J. S. W. Quarter Session Records for Family Historians: A Select List. 4th ed. Birmingham, England: Federation of Family History Societies Publications, Ltd., 1995. (Family History Library book 942 P23gjs 1995).
The original records are in the respective county or council archives. Copies of some quarter session records are in the Family History Library. Use the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:

ENGLAND - [COUNTY NAME] - COURT RECORDS

ADD
https://www.wellsmuseum.org.uk/wells-city-archives   This live link gives an indication of what is in the Wells City Archives ... I notice Petty Sessions, but I did not find a mention of Quarter Sessions - perhaps you could send them an email?

JM   
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: James Parker Trowbridge Wiltshire 1835 convict to Australia
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 05:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

Thank you for your  PM.

JM.
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.