Author Topic: Masks  (Read 2119 times)

Offline Erato

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Old Powder House, 1703
    • View Profile
Re: Masks
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 13:40 GMT (UK) »
"I cannot understand why anyone would believe that wearing a mask is somehow protecting them"

That sounds like some sort of cognitive problem to me.
Wiltshire:  Banks, Taylor
Somerset:  Duddridge, Richards, Barnard, Pillinger
Gloucestershire:  Barnard, Marsh, Crossman
Bristol:  Banks, Duddridge, Barnard
Down:  Ennis, McGee
Wicklow:  Chapman, Pepper
Wigtownshire:  Logan, Conning
Wisconsin:  Ennis, Chapman, Logan, Ware
Maine:  Ware, Mitchell, Tarr, Davis

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 13:54 GMT (UK) »
You couldn't be more wrong Erato. It is somebody who has spent a lot of time and put much effort into researching this issue. There are serious issues associated with wearing of masks and no obvious protective element in respect of viral protection. We are all awaiting publication of this year's randomised Danish study, the only such study, but initial indications suggest that it is unlikely to support the wearing of masks as a protective measure by the general public.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 14:49 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that tip re soap Lisa - will give it a go after my experience just now. Shields are fine but not in wet weather!!

Pouring with rain here so popped plastic shield in my shopping bag & put it on when I got under cover. 
BUT - Supermarket has changed system - trolleys now outside round the corner - not inside - so off with shield to collect trolley.
Shield back on - start shopping & realise have left my handbag in car - my own fault.  Sometimes a mask has more attraction!!
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 15:20 GMT (UK) »
There are serious issues associated with wearing of masks

So what are those issues deemed to be?
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I'm not a great fan of masks, but I am essentially a conformist, so when they appeared on the horizon I put some thought, care and time into designing and making masks that sat properly on my nose, just under where the lower edge of my lenses rest, so didn't steam up much, fitted closely where they had to, reasonable filtration via the fabric layers, didn't detach my spectacles when I took the mask ( never the specs!) off or on, and didn't saw my ears off with the elastic.
The only other change is, after several friends had lost earrings because of masks, I've simply stopped wearing earrings if I have to go outside! Saves losing them.
I also get very irritated at people with "chin cosies" and "neck cosies", it's not that hard to modify the darn things to sit in place ..... if you want to.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 16:12 GMT (UK) »
I cannot understand why anyone would believe that wearing a mask is somehow protecting them . It is much more likely to be damaging your health. Hopefully the results of the Danish randomised controlled trial into the effects of mask wearing will soon be published.

The main reason for wearing a face-covering when in an enclosed public space is to protect other people, not to protect oneself.
The Danish study looked at the extent to which wearing a mask protected the mask-wearer, not at effects on people who were near a mask-wearer.
Reports I've read online about the Danish study are all from right-leaning sources and most have a "mixed" rating on factual reliability.
As I understand it, the study is currently being peer-reviewed prior to publication in a medical journal.
Cowban

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 16:31 GMT (UK) »
I recently stopped wearing a mask as my specs were constantly misted up.   I have bought a pack of the plastic face shields and find them so much better.

Rub a bit of dry soap on both sides of the lenses, then polish off with soft cloth.  Soap breaks down the surface tension of water - no misting!

Thanks for the tip, Lisa.  My husband will be very pleased if it works for him. :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Like it or not, like them or not, face masks are mandatory in certain circumstances so we just have to grin and bear it for now and wear them when required.
However, I am more convinced than ever we will, after all this is over, see a new condition called "pinch nose", caused entirely by people constantly squeezing the top of the mask over their nose to ensure it stays in place.
If your glasses steam up whilst wearing a mask then you're not wearing it properly, according to my wife.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".