Author Topic: Masks  (Read 2118 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Masks
« on: Tuesday 27 October 20 12:10 GMT (UK) »
There are too many people appearing on TV whose masks don't fit properly!  As they speak, their masks move down their faces until the whole nose is exposed, making mask wearing pointless  They constantly adjust their masks, too, thus ignoring the advice not to touch them. 

Make sure your mask is a good fit and tighten up the strings if it keeps slipping down when you are talking!

I find that when I look down when wearing my mask, for example when I'm looking in my purse or at a price ticket on a low shelf, my mask pokes into my eyes.  Haven't solved that one yet. :(
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Masks
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 12:27 GMT (UK) »
I cannot understand why anyone would believe that wearing a mask is somehow protecting them . It is much more likely to be damaging your health. Hopefully the results of the Danish randomised controlled trial into the effects of mask wearing will soon be published.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 12:37 GMT (UK) »
Some people might still believe that but most of us believe that the mask is to protect other people from our coughing and sneezing.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline sonofthom

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Most reasonable people who are coughing and sneezing would either remain at home or at least take the normal precaution of using a handkerchief. Coughing and sneezing into a mask sounds particularly unhygienic.
Sinclair: Lanarkshire & Antrim; McDougall: Bute; Ramsay: Invernesshire; Thomson & Robertson: Perthshire; Brown: Argyll; Scott: Ayrshire: Duff: Fife.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 13:03 GMT (UK) »
I recently stopped wearing a mask as my specs were constantly misted up.   I have bought a pack of the plastic face shields and find them so much better.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 13:04 GMT (UK) »
Thankfully, we don't have to wear them! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 13:20 GMT (UK) »
Donald Trump was against masks, what happened to him & his entourage!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 13:35 GMT (UK) »
I went to the doctor yesterday.

An elderly lady was there, filling in a form - I think she was registering as a patient.

Her mask was warming her chin.

She took the form to the reception desk, still with mask warming her chin - they said nothing to her.  She was possibly a little confused so maybe they thought it wasn't worth it.  A five minute discussion was had about allergies - she thought she had some but couldn't remember what, and couldn't quite understand why this needed to be provided.

And then there was the lady in superdrug, again with a chin warmer, coughing away over one of the make up displays.
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?

Offline Lisajb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I recently stopped wearing a mask as my specs were constantly misted up.   I have bought a pack of the plastic face shields and find them so much better.

Rub a bit of dry soap on both sides of the lenses, then polish off with soft cloth.  Soap breaks down the surface tension of water - no misting!
Mullingar, Westmeath Ireland: Gilligan/Wall/Meagher/Maher/Gray/O'Hara/Corroon (various spellings)
Bristol: Woodman/James/Derrick
Bristol/Somerset: Saunders/Wilmot
Gloucestershire:Woodman/Mathews/Tandy/Stinchcombe/Marten/Thompson
Wiltshire: Mathews
Carmarthen: Thomas, Lewis
Australia: Mary Lewis, transportee, married Henry Brown - what happened to her?