Author Topic: Oxford vaccine news  (Read 621 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Oxford vaccine news
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 19:51 GMT (UK) »
I thought I would post and agree with you, since everyone else is busy discussing masks.  :) :) :)

It’s a little worrying to read that it may only offer protection for a few weeks, and that a second dose may be needed, if only because the logistics of vaccinating the majority of the population twice don’t add up.

But hey, a little ray of hope on the horizon and don’t we need one.

Why can boots offer a 15 minute test at all their 200 branches, but our 200 or so acute hospitals don’t seem to have one?.

Mike

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 20:05 GMT (UK) »
  Isn't it £120 a go? Perhaps the hospitals can't afford it.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 20:19 GMT (UK) »
  Isn't it £120 a go? Perhaps the hospitals can't afford it.

Ah but Boots have to make a profit, and it may need refrigerated storage and the used syringes are hazardous waste and that costs to get  rid of, and staff time and extra insurance, etc etc  :)
Mike

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 20:19 GMT (UK) »
Re the vaccine. I think it may well end up like the flu jab - at least once a year. WE can cope with that. I could cope with every few weeks if necessary  :)

I read that the price for the test from Boots would come down when they found out the demand and supplies.  I still reckon that the dog solution is the best  8)
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Mike,  I can't see any reference to boosters being required within weeks, the article says  'They may also not last, so that boosters will be needed.'  That doesn't indicate any time scale.
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Online mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 21:33 GMT (UK) »
Mike,  I can't see any reference to boosters being required within weeks, the article says  'They may also not last, so that boosters will be needed.'  That doesn't indicate any time scale.

I can’t read the full article from that link without registering, however it is available elsewhere.
Everything I have read suggests that a booster after a few weeks will be needed.

Incidentally the vaccine will protect you, hopefully, when you catch it,  but although protected you will still have a period of being infectious so the spread will continue.

Mike

I’m adding to this @21:38,  it seems the vaccine produces detectable antibodies for only a few weeks, but the protection may remain even though you are not actively producing antibodies, as the immune system is still primed to jump into action if needed, still open to question this, as time alone will tell.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Apparently they were Healthy Volunteers? ...

"Phases one and two of the clinical trial took place simultaneously in April in southern England, when safety and immune responses were checked in more than a thousand healthy volunteers ages 18 to 55."
https://www.nationalgeographic.co.uk/science-and-technology/2020/07/oxford-vaccine-enters-final-phase-of-covid-19-trials-heres-what

"Participants must NOT: Have tested positive for COVID-19, be pregnant, intending to become pregnant, or breastfeeding during the study, or have previously taken part in a trial with an adenoviral vaccine or received any other coronavirus vaccines."
https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-04-23-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-begins-human-trial-stage

"The purpose of this study is to test a new vaccine against COVID-19 in healthy volunteers."
https://www.ox.ac.uk/news/2020-05-22-oxford-covid-19-vaccine-begin-phase-iiiii-human-trials
 ----------
Professor Vallance told the Defence Committee (Televised last w/end) that the earliest UK Vaccine will be next Spring. He said normally a new vaccine takes 5 years to develop, trial it and get Certification.
 ----------
Be interesting to see the outcome.
 ----------
By the time some of us get to 60 (even if we thought we were healthy) some start to have underlying health conditions.

Mark

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 22:36 GMT (UK) »
Mark

Have you read my link?