Author Topic: Barony 1851 Census  (Read 1858 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Barony 1851 Census
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 October 20 03:29 GMT (UK) »
I am going to start a new post for Robert Scott and close this off. 
It's not a good idea to start new threads about the same people as in existing threads. It makes things very confusing.Much better to keep them all in one thread.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
Re: Barony 1851 Census: Burke/Scott
« Reply #10 on: Monday 30 November 20 20:12 GMT (UK) »
I am reviving this topic to report I have found absolutely nothing on the Burke family or Robert Scott.  I have tried tracing the siblings to no avail.   But I have couple of questions; firstly Jessie Scott was born 18 Jul 1849 according to the paternity order but there is no record of her birth. She is not on the 1851 census.  My first record is her marriage to Alexander McDonald on 24 June 1870.  Where else should I look for her birth?  I did buy a subscription to FindMyPast but no results there or on Ancestry or Family Search.  Secondly the witnesses to the marriage were Ellen Burk and William Burk, siblings of Jessie's mother, Margaret Burk.  I have not found marriage or death records for either of them.  I did find a death at sea of a Wm Burke 19 Jul 1873 on the vessel, City of London ship 447458, where do I search for this record BT158, Box 4 & 5, pg 208?  I cannot seem to fit this info into the GRO search Boxes.  Thanks.
BARRIE - Rutherglen     BENNETT - Wigtown, Glasgow
BURKE  - Lanarkshire, Ireland   CAMERON - Renfrew
CURLE - Dumfries    FRATER - Lesmahagow 
GENTLES - Sterling    GOLDIE - Paisley
GRAHAM - Roxburgh    HASTIE -Edinburgh
KERR  - Glencorse and Cambuslang
LOWRIE - Rutherglen and Ireland
McDONALD - Edinburgh and Cambuslang
MOYIES - Rutherglen    PICKEN - Kilmarnock
RAEBURN - Kilmarnock, Glasgow    SCOTT - Glasgow

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Barony 1851 Census: Burke/Scott
« Reply #11 on: Monday 30 November 20 20:40 GMT (UK) »
Jessie Scott was born 18 Jul 1849 according to the paternity order but there is no record of her birth. She is not on the 1851 census.
have you looked for her as Janet? The names Jessie and Janet are used interchangeably and it is very common indeed to find a missing Jessie listed as Janet and vice versa.

I would also check using her mother's surname B*rk*.

Where else should I look for her birth?  I did buy a subscription to FindMyPast but no results there or on Ancestry or Family Search.
If it's not on Scotland's People, the overwhelming probability is that the record of her baptism, if it ever existed, has not survived.
See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

Secondly the witnesses to the marriage were Ellen Burk and William Burk, siblings of Jessie's mother, Margaret Burk.  I have not found marriage or death records for either of them.
Could they have been Irish? Have you tried https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

I did find a death at sea of a Wm Burke 19 Jul 1873 on the vessel, City of London ship 447458, where do I search for this record BT158, Box 4 & 5, pg 208?  I cannot seem to fit this info into the GRO search Boxes. 
Sorry, I don't recognise the reference. Where did it come from?

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
The father was Irish but the mother was born in Glasgow.  I am working my way through Irish records.  It is a very common name in Ireland.  The death for Wm Burke was on FindMyPast,  source Records of Deaths of Passengers at Sea 1854-1890, type at sea, the National Archives, British Armed Forces and OverseasDeaths and Burials, Category BMD, subcategory civil deaths and burials, collection Great Britain, UK.  Lots of detail, but I am lost!  I will try Janet!

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 30 November 20 21:45 GMT (UK) »
The death for Wm Burke was on FindMyPast,  source Records of Deaths of Passengers at Sea 1854-1890, type at sea, the National Archives, British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials, Category BMD.
Go straight for the source at https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ - if this record has been digitised you can download it free of charge during Covid-19. If not you will be able to order it for a fee.

Offline luvtotravel

• RootsChat Member
  • A Scot in Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 00:39 GMT (UK) »
BT158 is the Register for BMD at sea (Merchant Navy Only) and refers to non-parochial records on The Genealogist.  The image on FindMyPast has limited information, no age or place of birth so I am grasping at straws.  I am off to search for merchant navy seamen 1860-73.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 02:02 GMT (UK) »
The death for Wm Burke was on FindMyPast,  source Records of Deaths of Passengers at Sea 1854-1890, type at sea, the National Archives, British Armed Forces and Overseas Deaths and Burials, Category BMD.
Go straight for the source at https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/ - if this record has been digitised you can download it free of charge during Covid-19. If not you will be able to order it for a fee.

Nothing like getting the runaround, TNA direct you to FindMyPast where you can view the image...

https://www.findmypast.co.uk/transcript?id=BMD/D/ATSEA/12717

Annie

Add...My comment was directed at the sites themselves, each directing you to the other  ::)
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Nothing like getting the runaround, TNA direct you to FindMyPast where you can view the image...
Which doesn't tell you much more, except that the cause of death was 'debility'.

I wonder if it might be possible to find a ship's manifest for that date?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Which doesn't tell you much more, except that the cause of death was 'debility'.

Forfarian,

I may be wrong but from memory, I'm sure the SP Service Returns are the same, basic info. & no way of knowing without proper/prior knowledge who a person is i.e. no parents/wife named, no address etc?

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"