Author Topic: Freemasonry  (Read 276 times)

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Freemasonry
« on: Tuesday 27 October 20 19:34 GMT (UK) »
 1.  Is being a Freemason like belonging to a guild or trade union?

How much information is on these membership applications?

I am asking about ca 1930  an Alberta transferred membership to Victoria, BC

Is it possible to locate a member's details?

Thankyou

where would I locate this?
Ire Co Arm Seagoe Drumon/Drumlin Hill JOYCE/HOUSTON John/JOYCE Isabella /ARMSTRONG Graham = son ARMSTRONG Wm Valentine ca 1809 (wf} Hannah Johnston MILLER ca 1823 Seago Arm Ire  aft1840 in Glasgow Scot dau Isabella 1847 + John M'D s/o Co DERRY Edw McD*V*TT//DAID {wf} Eliz 'CL*SKY/M'SHANE/DUFF Ire = DOYLE,Jos + Mary M'GINITY/ m ca1840 = Can PEI Hope Riv/ DOWDS,Bridget ca1819 d/o John DOWD + Mary WOODS ca1840 PEI Can UK  REINE/RIIM = Adrianoff/Mary//Sweden/Baltics/Baron VON Stiegler/Toxteth Park

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Freemasonry
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 20:00 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to the newspapers of the areas you are concerned with you can find Annual Elections of Office-Bearers and their picture posted in the local papers, along with names of the officials.  It is not a secret society but a society with secrets although they can all be discovered through published books freely available.  Members would regard their membership details as PRIVATE rather than secret, hence the means of identifying themselves to one another by means of handshakes and use of phrases which mean nothing to non-Masons.  Wikipedia is a good place to start if you want to find out more.
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster. Proctor & Threlfall of Westmoreland and Lancs, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands. Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 21:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ian Wilson.  Never ocurred to me to  look in the local newspaper.
Ire Co Arm Seagoe Drumon/Drumlin Hill JOYCE/HOUSTON John/JOYCE Isabella /ARMSTRONG Graham = son ARMSTRONG Wm Valentine ca 1809 (wf} Hannah Johnston MILLER ca 1823 Seago Arm Ire  aft1840 in Glasgow Scot dau Isabella 1847 + John M'D s/o Co DERRY Edw McD*V*TT//DAID {wf} Eliz 'CL*SKY/M'SHANE/DUFF Ire = DOYLE,Jos + Mary M'GINITY/ m ca1840 = Can PEI Hope Riv/ DOWDS,Bridget ca1819 d/o John DOWD + Mary WOODS ca1840 PEI Can UK  REINE/RIIM = Adrianoff/Mary//Sweden/Baltics/Baron VON Stiegler/Toxteth Park

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 05:23 GMT (UK) »
Maybe send them an email?  Not sure how much they would have archived, or willing to share, but it might be worth a shot?
https://www.victoriacolumbia.ca/ 

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 10:22 GMT (UK) »
They won't share membership information.  They might be polite and ask what Lodge number he was with or are you a son or grandson and are you member?

I was a mason for several years but left when they moved our Lodge to the city. 

Don

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 11:07 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ian Wilson.  Never ocurred to me to  look in the local newspaper.

Hi Mina Losa, do you know something I don't about my real ancestors, I am still trying to find the Wilson-Cathcarts ?

regards, Ian Nelson
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster. Proctor & Threlfall of Westmoreland and Lancs, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands. Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Many Lodges have published their history and that includes office holders and notable members, if not in book form then at least on their lodge website.   The masonic ceremonies are based on what they imagined ancient guilds of stonemasons would have used and are intended to teach moral and ethical codes and fraternalism within the brotherhood, and a preference system for ensuring that a legitimate freemason was well treated and received.  People didn't apply to join, they were firstly invited, but then vetted as to their standing and reputation in the community before proceeding with initiation. 
Merely knowing that a person was a Freemason probably won't give you much genealogical info though, many joined but lapsed attendance for various reasons. 
Many were more ambitious and progressed through side orders until they were invited to join the Knights Templars.  Different history and different ceremonies.

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 October 20 23:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you  bbart,Don M, Ian Wilson for taking the time to reply. Someone putting together a family history to
hand out and giving an account of their grandfather's life. 

Online Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 October 20 23:38 GMT (UK) »
Do you know if was he ever a Grand Master as there would be a photo of him if you knew the Lodge name and number. There would be a website that often has the history of retired Master Masons I believe. There is a website called The Freemasons Of Victoria, I can't post a link as I am on the iPad. There are some biographies too if you google it.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU