Author Topic: Mary ? - married to a Joseph Slee  (Read 1070 times)

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary ? - married to a Joseph Slee
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 29 October 20 18:10 GMT (UK) »
Okay, what about this one. Slightly clutching at straws. I've found a death for a Mary Slee in 1858 in Holsworthy, died age 48. Holsworthy is in Torridge -  15 minutes from Great Torrington. 48 matches Mary Owens in the 1841 census. And from what I can see I don't think this death belongs to either of the Mary's in that 1831 marriage of Joseph's father.

Possibly moved back to Devon after St Helier and then Mary died there. I've noticed that Joseph's brother Richard also moved to Horfield, Gloucesteshire in 1861 to 1881. Which is where Caroline pops up again now married in 1881. Maybe she stayed with her father's family after her mother died and followed them to Horfield. Thoughts?

Still working on the Owens front.

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 30 October 20 02:31 GMT (UK) »

"...Now I have Caroline. Hew two marriages and death in 1885 Cardiff, Glamorganshire."

Can you give more information please.   When / where / who...for the two marriages.

What children does Caroline have.....when / where / names please.

Can you list the information on the two certificates. How does Caroline name her father.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 30 October 20 09:36 GMT (UK) »

"...Now I have Caroline. Hew two marriages and death in 1885 Cardiff, Glamorganshire."

Can you give more information please.   When / where / who...for the two marriages.

What children does Caroline have.....when / where / names please.

Can you list the information on the two certificates. How does Caroline name her father.

Okay, first marriage:

I don't have Caroline's first marriage. I have found one for a Caroline Slee in 1864 Gloucstershire, England but I'm not sure that's her.

She pops up again on the 1881 census married to a man named Thomas Turner, 1843 to 1881. He dies that same year. He was a private in the 61st regiment. They have seven children together all living in Horfield, Gloucestershire.

Their first child Walter Turner was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1865. Second child Eliza Turner was born at sea. Third child John Turner was born in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Forth child, Rose Ann Turner was born in Newbridge, Kild, Ireland. The last three were all born in Horfield, Gloucestershire. Frederick Turner, Bertie Turner and Thomasina Daisy Turner.

Second marriage:

In 1882 Horfield, Gloucstershire she married an Isaac Cloughely. His profession is a pensioner. Caroline lists her father as Joseph Slee, occupation: Mason. Caroline is also listed as a widow. The marriage was in the presence of a William Williams and an Elizabeth Hart.

They had a son together, Joseph Cloughely in 1883 but he dies in 1884, Cardiff. Carolines dies a year after in 1885.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 30 October 20 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Well, I've found Joseph Slee on the 1871 census. Living in Dover with Eliza and stepson George. Which I think is everything you can find on him. (found it on familysearch, doesn't seem to be available on ancestry). Thanks to everyone for making his time-line so complete. It's a shame his first wife is so elusive in comparison.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 30 October 20 20:00 GMT (UK) »
This looks really interesting. Mary Evans. Jersey Heritage Site.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 October 20 20:45 GMT (UK) »
that's a good find. But it may eliminate the Mary Owens from 1841. There is a marriage in Llangennith 16 Oct 1828 for Leyshon Owen & Mary Evans, but they are living in Reynoldston in 1841. There doesn't seem to be another Owen(s) + Evan(s) marriage in Glamorgan around the right time.

Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 30 October 20 20:53 GMT (UK) »
The Caroline Slee who marries in Gloucestershire in 1864 isn't yours. She's b 1837, daughter of Edward

I suspect we may need to look in Ireland or elsewhere for their marriage

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 30 October 20 22:49 GMT (UK) »
Case closed everyone!

Another researcher came to my aid. The document did detail Caroline's baptism to Joseph Slee the stone mason but also a Mary of William and Ann Evans. More information than I ever could have hoped.

Thanks to everyone who helped out. When in doubt, type the names into google over and over again.