Author Topic: Mary ? - married to a Joseph Slee  (Read 1079 times)

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mary ? - married to a Joseph Slee
« on: Tuesday 27 October 20 21:50 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I'm looking for a marriage or really anything that can help me determine the identity of a woman named Mary who was married to a Joseph Slee.
Here it what I have so far:

1851 Channel Islands census: Mary 1817, Wales. (it just says Wales) Married to a Joseph Slee 1819, England. He's a stone mason. She is a Gref Maker? They have a daughter Caroline, born 1844 St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands.

Now I have Caroline. Hew two marriages and death in 1885 Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

1861, Joseph is now remarried to an Eliza. Both living in Alderney, Channel Islands. I have found there marriage record in 1895 in Hampshire. Both recorded as Widowers. She is Eliza Robinson nee Blandford.

I think I have Mary's death in Portsea Island, Hampshire in 1852.

I have found that Joesph Slee was born in 1920 Great Torrington, Devon to a Joseph and Grace.

1841 census: Has Joseph Slee, occupation: mason. Living in Swansea, Cardiff, Glamorganshire.

So it's either Glamorgan or the Channel Islands where they got married around 1843, but I can't find anything. With her birth most likely in Glamorgan as well.

If anyone can help me find her second name that would be great.

Thanks for reading.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mary ? - married to a Joseph Slee
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 27 October 20 22:56 GMT (UK) »
They have a daughter Caroline, born 1844 St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands.

Birth registration should give mothers maiden name but am not sure how the system works for Jersey.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 07:44 GMT (UK) »
Not found anything to help sorry but to add:

1851 Mary’s occupation was dress maker

You say in 1861 that Joseph is married to Eliza but then later that they were married in 1895.

In 1841 Joseph is in Swansea, Glamorganshire (not sure where Cardiff came from but they are separate towns about 40 miles apart). 

The Mary Slee who died in 1852 in Portsea Island was aged 63, rather older than the Mary you are looking for. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can see two marriages Joseph Slee and Mary at the right dates
Great Torrington 26.12. 1831
Joseph Slee and Mary Bowden  Joseph widower Mary spinster
witness Valentine and Mary Slee
He signs so possible to match signature

Other at Workington 29.5.1836 to Mary Robinson.
He is a miner. I can't bring up the image so don't know if he signed.

Valentine is bapt 14.4.1822 and is Joseph's brother bapt Gt Torrington 8.10.1820 both children of Joseph and Grace Slee thatcher.
So I'd go for that one.

Forget that he'd only be 11 SORRY
What was I thinking?

Ciderdrinker

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Not found anything to help sorry but to add:

1851 Mary’s occupation was dress maker

You say in 1861 that Joseph is married to Eliza but then later that they were married in 1895.

In 1841 Joseph is in Swansea, Glamorganshire (not sure where Cardiff came from but they are separate towns about 40 miles apart). 

The Mary Slee who died in 1852 in Portsea Island was aged 63, rather older than the Mary you are looking for.

Sorry, I did this quite late and I've made so many typos. 1895 - I meant 1859.

Joseph born in 1820 not 1920.

I meant Swansea and not Cardiff.

And yes after I made the post I said Gref Maker out loud and then it was pretty obvious it was Dress Maker.

Thanks for the Portsea Island info.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 12:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I can see two marriages Joseph Slee and Mary at the right dates
Great Torrington 26.12. 1831
Joseph Slee and Mary Bowden  Joseph widower Mary spinster
witness Valentine and Mary Slee
He signs so possible to match signature

Other at Workington 29.5.1836 to Mary Robinson.
He is a miner. I can't bring up the image so don't know if he signed.

Valentine is bapt 14.4.1822 and is Joseph's brother bapt Gt Torrington 8.10.1820 both children of Joseph and Grace Slee thatcher.
So I'd go for that one.

Forget that he'd only be 11 SORRY
What was I thinking?

Ciderdrinker

Thanks for responding.

It looks like the first one is actually his father who remarried again after Grace.

The second I'm not sure on. Because Workington is up north where everything so far has been taking place in the southern region. And the occupation as a miner conflicts with him being recorded as a Mason.

Unfortunately, it's looking like a marriage document doesn't exist. I can't find a birth/baptism for Caroline Slee either. I'm thinking this all took place on St Helier, Jersey, Channel Islands which is why maybe nothing is available.

I might send this over to the specific Channel Islands forum on here.

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 14:13 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered Mary Owens who Joseph is lodging with in 1841 may be Carolines Mother?

It may be worth looking at 1851 Census to see if she is still in Swansea or her children.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Have you considered Mary Owens who Joseph is lodging with in 1841 may be Carolines Mother?

It may be worth looking at 1851 Census to see if she is still in Swansea or her children.

Trish :)

Thanks, nice suggestion. Similar age gap between them.

The only thing that has jumped out at me on the 1851 census is a Mary Owens 1811, Glamorgan but living alone. Which does seem a bit odd. Or maybe that's really common?

First child Ann would be 22 in 1851. Can't see her anywhere. Possibly has married and is somewhere else. A couple of Ann Owens that could fit but shes not living with her mother.

Willaim Owens would be 17 in 1851. Can't see anything obvious for him either. (Not too sure what the common age for moving out was back then is?)

This might be it! Although I would have to find her maiden name. With a guess that she is widowed in the census (shame it doesn't say) Taking the age with the census she had Ann at 18. Use the 1817 from 1851 census and she then had her at 12?

Thanks again Trish, I'll look into this more. See if I can find a marriage between Mary & an Owens in that region. Then see I can find Mary with her maiden name's baptism/birth. And then with Portsea Island fact disproved, see if I can find her death.

Offline Daffern2020

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Little update: Liking the look of a Mary Rowlands married Thomas Owens and a Mary Williams married an Owen Owens. But that's it so far.