Author Topic: Higgs - Sheepy Magna, Merevale?  (Read 380 times)

Offline Padster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Higgs - Sheepy Magna, Merevale?
« on: Tuesday 27 October 20 22:16 GMT (UK) »
Dear All,

Could anybody please help with a lookup in Sheepy Magna?

One of my ancestors is a James Higgs born approximately 1810/11 (I believe in Sheepy) and I can't find his birth/christening.

He listed his place of birth as Kingsbury, Warwickshire on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 censuses (I haven’t been able to find him in 41)

I have the certificate for his marriage to Harriett Wood in 1858 and this lists his father as ‘John Higgs – Labourer’

My educated guess is that James is the son of John Higgs and Ann Bromley who lived in the Hurley area of Kingsbury.  I’m basing this on:

John Higgs and Ann Bromley married in 1808 in Sheepy Magna
They’re listed on the 1841 census aged 57 and 54 in North Warwickshire with several children living at home but the eldest would have been born in 1824
Subsequently I found two earlier christenings in Baxterley - Thomas Higgs in Feb 1814 and Sarah Higgs in June 1816 with parents John and Anne
There is also an older daughter Mary who appears on the 1851 census living with her brother William and she gives her place of birth as Leicestershire, Sheepy Magna around 1811
John Higgs’ parents were James Higgs and Mary Hood so it’s conceivable that his first two children would have been named James and Mary and I think they were born in Sheepy before the family moved to the Kingsbury area

I can’t find a christening for James in the parish records for Baxterley or Kingsbury.  I did look at the Sheepy Magna records on microfiche at Hinckley library but they were pretty much unreadable for the years in question (I'm hoping that was just the fiche and not the originals)

Any help would be very gratefully received.