Author Topic: New ITV Documentary - Does your family tree connect back to British royalty?  (Read 6929 times)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
Re: New ITV Documentary - Does your family tree connect back to British royalty?
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 14:41 GMT (UK) »
It can be difficult but it can be achieved if you really keep plugging away, finding a descent from royalty is quite common, even though the "ah but many people cannot document it" is true, if you really did plug away it on lines that seemed to be more well off, it may be closer than you think, all you have to do is to verify the info for yourself. Monies were divided among the generations and titles only given to the elder surviving sons.

A peasant farmer may have been the son of a local weaver whose dad was a farmer, and his mother was the daughter of a yeoman whose father was a local merchant whose father was a physician and his dad was a knight and his mother was the daughter of a long line of politicians and knights going back to royalty.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New ITV Documentary - Does your family tree connect back to British royalty?
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 16:23 GMT (UK) »
... or not, as it may be.
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 17:21 GMT (UK) »
Mine are pretty much common as muck on all sides, with names like JONES and BROWN to boot. Perhaps I am descended from royalty somewhere, but when John SMITH begets John SMITH with six other John SMITHs in the area, good luck. I think I've pretty much got back as far as I'm going to. I'm  not sad to not find royalty; the only benefit there for me would be the existence of records!

I think if I had to choose an ancestor or family to follow in a programme it would be my 4th great Mark BRADY, an ordinary mariner who got into a drunken brawl on board ship, brained his crewmate with a handspike and spent 19 weeks in Newgate Prison before being tried at the Old Bailey. His grandson William ended up being born in the workhouse and worked his way up to being the undermanager of the local mines with several houses and a colour portrait of himself!

Online Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 18:13 GMT (UK) »
Some chatters may recall how I became besotted with my ancestry, which was after a visit to what I thought would be a charlatan "fortune teller", but how accurately she described how and where my grandmother's older brother (unknown to me at the time) had died.

I was the usual beginner using what few local genealogy facilities there were at the time and when I felt surrounded by brick walls (e.g. which of the many "William"s was mine) I asked if the lady would try to give me a few clues about my ancestry.

She concentrated, gasped at something she saw (I instantly thought she's looking at a beautiful gown), and then she said:
"Are you a bleeder?
It raced through my mind that she either thought I was a bleeding Londoner or a royal haemophiliac.  I quickly thought about my parents, sometimes dad looked like Prince Philip (probably the height, the hooter and blue eyes had something to do with it) and sometimes mam looked like the Queen mother (probably the heart shaped face, dark hair and cornflower blue eyes were responsible).
I discarded all the thoughts of grandeur and said "No, nobody in my family is a bleeder".

My avatar is my tiny maternal grandmother with my two oldest aunts and I'd traced her mother's (Lucy) Speight family back to Wath-Upon-Dearne,  West Riding of Yorkshire    In the Speight maternal line is Kezia a bride from Huntingdonshire and her maternal lines all lead back to a Wells/Welles family, which is a gateway to a European dynasty and claims to be connected to British royalty.

I've told my family if they want to mess about doing more research, they're welcome.   I'm more concerned about where my dad's Scottish Donald Mckenzie bloodline leads to - and where on earth is his maternal line leading to?  Was Tom Darling born, in the Leith area, Midlothian or just south of the Border. 

Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 04 November 20 18:17 GMT (UK) »
I would choose a non blood relatives

the Hallis family took my grandma in when she was a baby and brought her up tho they were in their 60.s he was in a workhouse age 6 & his wife had complicated ancestors and their sons went to South Africa
& the daughters were shirt makers 

...maybe TV could find living descendants where ive failed 
Tho I suspect their line has died out
Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

guest189040

« Reply #33 on: Thursday 05 November 20 09:49 GMT (UK) »
When we were researching my Wife’s line we found that she was descended from a at the time prosperous Lancastrian family and whilst following the line back we can across Margaret Stanley, and followed her line through generations back to Edward III.

We did the William the Conc line and back to Rollo.

Then we started to look sideways and quickly found there was No King who was English, the are and still are a Heinz 57 mixture.

Phillipa of Hainault b1313, (Wife of Edward III) if you look at her ancestry and every royal and noble line not just in England but the whole of Europe then they link back to her.  Go back a couple of centuries, pick any spouse and do the same and yes, the inter marriage and marriages to solidify relationships were rife.

Go back further into pre Norman invasion days and the same thing happened.  Alliances through marriages maintained the noble bloodlines and spread the gene pool.

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 05 November 20 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Coombs, I mean that similar stories occur in many families, and, sadly for those hoping for illustrious connections, often they are simply conjecture, and "besting up" a tale. Sorry it's taken me a few hours to get back to you on this. Very few are clearly documented, and able to trace such lineage. Certainly one slightly linked to mine proved to peter out in "same name / different family" muddle, where someone had cherry picked what sounded best, and then averred it was accurate - and sadly it  was not.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 05 November 20 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Coombs, I mean that similar stories occur in many families, and, sadly for those hoping for illustrious connections, often they are simply conjecture, and "besting up" a tale. Sorry it's taken me a few hours to get back to you on this. Very few are clearly documented, and able to trace such lineage. Certainly one slightly linked to mine proved to peter out in "same name / different family" muddle, where someone had cherry picked what sounded best, and then averred it was accurate - and sadly it  was not.
TY

Well I am sure most of us on here who have found a gateway ancestor have looked into it themselves to make sure, and verified the info though lots of hard, time consuming research checking wills, other documents, the lot. I would hate to be told it could all be conjecture if I managed to verify a direct link to a worthy family, and spent months if not years checking it for myself.

Researching:

DORSET Coombs, Munday
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
USA Musgrave, Saix