Author Topic: Thomas Rogers Norbury  (Read 413 times)

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Rogers Norbury
« on: Wednesday 28 October 20 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, Im looking for any help to identify the details for the parents of Thomas Rogers Norbury, born 1813.
Thomas Rogers Norbury
Gender Male
Record Type Christening (Baptism)
Baptism Date 27/10/1813 (27 Oct 1813)
Baptism Place Stockport St Mary Cheshire England
Residence Place St. Mary, Stockport, Cheshire, England
FatherJames Norbury
Mother Mary Norbury

Thomas's mother is believed to be Mary Rogers who married James Norbury10 Mar 1811 • Flixton,Lancashire,England.  Both are down on the marriage bans as coming from the parish of Stockport.  One of the witnesses is an Ann Norbury but Ive no idea what relation she may be to James, whether parent or sibling etc.

Any help identifying the parentage of both James and mary gratefully appreciated along with any other details such as census information, siblings etc.  Thanks as I literally am stuck with no other information at this time

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rogers Norbury
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 22:02 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried searching on familysearch.org?
You will be able to trace Thomas Rogers Norbury on there.
I have only looked at the Norbury side, but it is easy to find him.

Have you found the siblings of Thomas?
He had a sister Mary and a brother named Bradford.
You are very lucky in that the images of the birth and marriages at Stockport are directly linked to the names on familysearch. (This doesn't happen very often!). So you can see other information given if there is any.
For example, the baptisms of Thomas and his brother and sister give their father as a 'corn dealer' or 'corn chandler' of Market Street, Stockport.
There doesn't seem to be an Ann Norbury baptised as a sister.

If you then look for the birth of a James Norbury between, say, 1770 and 1790, there is one baptised in 1781 to Bradford Norbury and his wife Martha. This is surely the father of James, who has named one of his sons after his father.
And then you can find the marriage of Bradford and Martha in July 1769 at Stockport.
There is a baptism of an Ann Norbury to Bradford and Martha Dec 1769. This is at Disley just a few miles from Stockport. Again very luckily, this is directly linked to an image where it gives Bradford and MArtha as being 'of Norbury'. Norbury, the area, is part of Stockport, so it looks as if this may well be the same couple. Perhaps they went up to Disley to avoid people they knew in Stockport as the baby would have been born just 5 months after they were married.
So this Ann Norbury would have the aunt of James.

Surprisingly there seem to be several Bradford Norburys around at that time - some in the villages near to Stockport too. This may be from the way the entries at Stockport ST Mary's have been entered into the data base. I have an idea Stockport St Mary's was like a 'mother church', and entries from surrounding villages may well have ended up in their books as well. You would need to check this.

familysearch.org is always a very good place to start any research, and unlike other sites, it is all free. You just have to register for a free account. They have millions of films of parish registers, and as I said, you are very lucky that the entries for much of Cheshire are directly linked to the images in the actual parish registers.

Good luck! :)
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Vixen999

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Rogers Norbury
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 October 20 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi this is really helpful info and no I had not found any siblings for Thomas at all so this was limiting any information I could find.  I had been led to believe Thomas was an only child but obviously this is incorrect.  I had seen James was a corn dealer.  Were you able to discover any information about mary Rogers whom james married?

Have you tried searching on familysearch.org?
You will be able to trace Thomas Rogers Norbury on there.
I have only looked at the Norbury side, but it is easy to find him.

Have you found the siblings of Thomas?
He had a sister Mary and a brother named Bradford.
You are very lucky in that the images of the birth and marriages at Stockport are directly linked to the names on familysearch. (This doesn't happen very often!). So you can see other information given if there is any.
For example, the baptisms of Thomas and his brother and sister give their father as a 'corn dealer' or 'corn chandler' of Market Street, Stockport.
There doesn't seem to be an Ann Norbury baptised as a sister.

If you then look for the birth of a James Norbury between, say, 1770 and 1790, there is one baptised in 1781 to Bradford Norbury and his wife Martha. This is surely the father of James, who has named one of his sons after his father.
And then you can find the marriage of Bradford and Martha in July 1769 at Stockport.
There is a baptism of an Ann Norbury to Bradford and Martha Dec 1769. This is at Disley just a few miles from Stockport. Again very luckily, this is directly linked to an image where it gives Bradford and MArtha as being 'of Norbury'. Norbury, the area, is part of Stockport, so it looks as if this may well be the same couple. Perhaps they went up to Disley to avoid people they knew in Stockport as the baby would have been born just 5 months after they were married.
So this Ann Norbury would have the aunt of James.

Surprisingly there seem to be several Bradford Norburys around at that time - some in the villages near to Stockport too. This may be from the way the entries at Stockport ST Mary's have been entered into the data base. I have an idea Stockport St Mary's was like a 'mother church', and entries from surrounding villages may well have ended up in their books as well. You would need to check this.

familysearch.org is always a very good place to start any research, and unlike other sites, it is all free. You just have to register for a free account. They have millions of films of parish registers, and as I said, you are very lucky that the entries for much of Cheshire are directly linked to the images in the actual parish registers.

Good luck! :)